• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Luggage Rack Boot Lid Shield

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Okay, I know that this is another one of those piddling enhancements that only a few appreciate (Roger, are you there?). But, I already did the cam, bigger carbs, aluminum head, jet-hot headers and etc. Randy Harris, I think you have a Cape International luggage rack so you might be interested.

Go to this link:
https://web.mac.com/linwoodrose/My_AH_300...aintenance.html

Then click on Luggage Rack Plexiglass.pdf for the one page explanation and/or click on: https://homepage.mac.com/linwoodrose/PhotoAlbum81.html to see images in high resolution

Lin

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi Lin, Question, what do you hook your bungee cords to now that the frame is covered up or did I miss something,--Keoke

RobWarren

Jedi Hopeful
Keoke,

It looks like he's shaped notches in the relevant places for the bungee cord hooks/ belt straps i.e. one at either side and two at the top and bottom

I wish I'd thought of this - I'm still polishing the scratches out from where my gear bag trapped some dust underneath it.

Great rack though - and no need for drilling holes in the boot lid.

Rob

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Hello Lin,

Fantastic. Well engineered.

You're doing a great job documenting your restoration.

Is your clear bra one large piece?
The guy who installed mine, did it three times, till he figured out how to install one piece, top to bottom, with no cutting of seams. He also raped all the edges. It took him 10 hours. 5 years experience. Most complicated curves he's done so far he said. I tipped him well. He deserved it.

Thanks for sharing your plexiglass protection idea. We all benefit from creative solutions from people like you.

Drive it like you stole it.
Roger

OP
Lin

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Keoke,
It is hard to see because of the clear material, but I think you can see from this photo that I have notched the plexiglass everywhere there is a hook for tie down straps. The straps actually hold down the plexiglass in addition to whatever is stored on the rack.

Lin

Attachments

• 15739.jpg
    15739.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 355
OP
Lin

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Roger,
No, my clear bra is actually three pieces. My guy tried and tried - actually wasted quite a bit of material trying to get one piece to work. I told him that yours was one piece so he worked extra hard to make it work. I just couldn't drive my car all the way to California from Virginia to have the work done. One piece would have been nice, but it is very difficult to see the seams.

Lin

healeynut

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Lin said:
OThen click on Luggage Rack Plexiglass.pdf for the one page explanation

I like this. It means when the bottles of wine and shoes fall out of your luggage (that you forgot to zip up) on to the highway, they thankfully won't scratch the paint on the boot lid. Very logical and well thought out.

zblu

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Ahh! but think of the wind chill effect given to the wine on the wine rack vs the mulled wine effect of being in the cockpit GregW :smile:

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
So guys, not having a luggage or wine rack on my car, I wasn't aware of what gets tied down on it, would touch the boot. What is the distance between the boot and rack? Is it common for such items to slip through the bars? I guess it would depend on what your placing on the rack. What comes to mind is an old leather box shaped suitcase. But I guess when you're at the hardware store and impulse buy those rolls of barb wire and razor wire and think, hey I've got a luggage, aka, wine rack, on the Healey.

Seriously Lin, really nice job with the protective Plexiglass.

Drive it like you stole it.
Roger

OP
Lin

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Everyone, remember why I did this - I am going to be traveling from Ocean City, Md to Victoria, British Columbia and back to Virginia in May. Will take about thirty days for the trip. All of that means that the luggage rack will be used. The Cape International rack is nice size - wider than most racks I have seen. I can put two overhead bin size suitcases on the rack. Each suitcase goes in a waterproof bag (purchased at an outdoor camping and hiking store). These bags fit the suitcases fairly tightly, but the fabric and straps could rub against the boot lid paint with as many miles as I will be traveling. I know I will pick up a stone here or there, but I would like to avoid all the paint damage I can. The plexiglass should work well to avoid any problems.

As for the wine, we will be traveling through great wine country in California, Oregon and Washington. We do intend to make some stops and sample the offerings!

Roger, I will check the car this weekend (all covered up right now) to measure the gap between the rack and the boot. At the point of maximum curvature of the boot lid, I would guess no more than 1/2" to maybe 3/4." The Cape International rack does sit lower than most - which I like.

Lin

healeynut

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Be sure to stop by the Air Force Museum at Wright Patterson in Ohio. They still have a Convair B-36 Peacemaker there! Biggest chunk of flying aluminum ever made....

Bob McElwee

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Lin,
You're going to be real close to the MO wine country too. You can wet your whistle before you cross the great plains.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Lin said:
Keoke,---WOT!

I Swear I didn't see those great big holes at first. However that fella Rob way down there in OZ could see em. I better get me eyes checked. Maybe that's whats wrong now. I had a Cataract removed and a Lens replaced eye ain't been the same since.------------------------------------------Keoke-- :laugh:

:savewave:
P.S. When you get to Californy, be sure and go to Na pa wine country. Take the Choo Choo trip they serve the best of the best on there, Napa wine is like that from Bordeaux,Germany Italy and Spain's products. :thumbsup:

It is hard to see because of the clear material, but I think you can see from this photo that I have notched the plexiglass everywhere there is a hook for tie down straps. The straps actually hold down the plexiglass in addition to whatever is stored on the rack.

Lin

Country flag
GregW said:
Who puts wine in their luggage? It always rides up front with me. (Hic! belllllllcha ) :sick:
Don't drink and drive, keep BOTH hands on the bottle!

The luggage rack might be able to handle two (2) suitcases, but can your trunklid (the sheetmetal, potmetal hinge castings, pin and lock latch)? Be mindful of what you put up there...

Depending on what sedans/utility vehicles I've had, my two-seater's trunk has often been the largest in the fleet. BN6s and 7s can hold a lot!

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Randy Forbes said:
GregW said:
Who puts wine in their luggage? It always rides up front with me. (Hic! belllllllcha ) :sick:
Don't drink and drive, keep BOTH hands on the bottle!

The luggage rack might be able to handle two (2) suitcases, but can your trunklid (the sheetmetal, potmetal hinge castings, pin and lock latch)? Be mindful of what you put up there...

Well Randy, the hinges are OK. However, most of these racks that rest solely on the boot lid will have a weight carrying ability which is limited by the strength of the boot lid metal. However, traveling loads rarely cause a problem. I have one of each type. The bolt on boot lid type on one car and my modified bumper iron supported Amoco on the other. The Amoco rack does not exhibit a weight sensitivity at all. So Bob's your uncle.---Keoke

Depending on what sedans/utility vehicles I've had, my two-seater's trunk has often been the largest in the fleet. BN6s and 7s can hold a lot!

Bob McElwee

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
if memory serves me you are following US 50 west. I would suggest a slight detour to take MO 94 west from I-64/US 40 to Jefferson City where you can pick up US 50 again. Unfortunately the best way to get from US 50 to MO 94 would be to stay on I-270 to westbound I-64/US40.
Once you get past Defiance, MO there will be many wineries on 94. Our favorite is Stone Hill winery in Herman, MO. We have rather modest taste in wines so we enjoy sitting on the hillside with a bottle of just purchased wine, cheese and crackers, and enjoying the beautiful view.
By the way, 94 is a much neater road than 50 anyway :driving:
I'm sure some of the other locals will chime in also.