• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Lesson learned replacing Strombergs with SU HS6s

gtemkin

Freshman Member
When converting from Strombergs to HS6 SUs, you might want to know of a pitfall I came across. HS6 SUs were already installed on my car by a previous owner, but because of various poor running conditions, a fuel leak and some sloppy throttle shafts, I decided to rebuild them.

My HS6s originally came from a TR4A. The former owner, who performed the installation, chose to stick with the Zenith-Stromberg fuel blocks (plastic insulator between the intake manifold and the carb). Bad choice!

Here's the problem. The intake manifold, the fuel blocks and the carbs have a roughly square shape with a 4 bolt pattern and a 1-3/4" bore right down the center. But in addition, the Stromberg fuel blocks have a machined slot breaking out from the main bore, which I think is meant for an enrichment circuit to dump extra fuel when the choke is applied.

Also, the SUs flanges are not really square, in that the top and bottom sides are flat, but the left and right sides are cut inward in a concave shape.

When fully mounted, the slot in the Stromberg fuel block 'can be' uncovered by the concave edge on the right side of the carburetor, creating a nice vacuum leak. I say, "can be", because there's just enough slop in the bolt patterns to either have no vacuum leak or a pretty healthy vacuum leak depending where the various parts are when they're tightened.

I ended up rotating the gaskets between the fuel blocks and the carbs so there was some extra gasket material covering the leak area, but the right way to fix this is to use the SU fuel blocks, not the Stromberg ones. If you stick with the Stromberg fuel blocks, pay special attention to this possible leak path.

I've read in forums around the net about folks failing to succeed with this conversion, some of who have complained about high idle speed and other symptoms of a vacuum leak. In some cases this may be the cause.

Gregg

'74 TVR2500M

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Good job figuring that out. That slot cut out, btw, is for the fuel from the Throtttle Bypass Valve to to reach the manifold, thus as the name implies bypassing the throttle disc during engine braking (over run conditions).

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
You know, in my trial and tribulations of the past 14 years. I think my blocks have disappeared. Oh dear. More trouble

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
DNK said:
You know, in my trial and tribulations of the past 14 years. I think my blocks have disappeared. Oh dear. More trouble
Just for reference, Don. Moss 696-100 (need 4)and 696-105 (need 2)

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ken, couldn't find them on Moss. had just finished looking the part # at TRF to cross reference with moss.

Hmmm... IIRC they might still be on my 71 intake that was ceramic coated.
Do you think the coating would ruin them?

carbs2.jpg

Yep, it looks like they are on there.
Trashed???

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ken , your #'s help me find them on the site and the fuel lines reference too.
The plastic insulator is what got ceramic coated with the intake.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Good.
Can you remove the insulator now that it's coated, Don ? Coating it may have lost it's insulating properties.

SkinnedKnuckles

Jedi Trainee
poolboy said:
Good.
Coating it may have lost it's insulating properties.

I doubt it. And there is still the conduction through the 4 studs that really can't be dealt with very well.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
It's still above in my loft, that was an old pic. When I bring it down I will check.
Is there any difference on those for the 2 different manifolds?

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Never mind, looked the the set up on the valve cover on the car. There is a set on that set up. I;m good
Insulator.jpg

rlich8

Jedi Trainee
Those are some sweet looking Strombergs. I think I am one of the only people on the earth that roots for Strombergs from time to time. I've left them on my E-Type, when many people have told me I should convert to SU's.

My TR4A has SU's. I like both carbs equally, I just think the Strombergs are misunderstood as opposed to badly designed. Work with them and you can get great results. My XKE runs wonderfully and purrs like a cat. TR also runs wonderfully, purrs like a tractor :smile:

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
rlich8 said:
Those are some sweet looking Strombergs. ...

If that quote was aimed at my pic, TRF rebuilt them about 8-9 years ago and have never seen the light of day since. Gonna pull them out of storage and mount them up after the tank area and fuel lines are complete

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Don, if that's the case, I'd squirt some WD 40 or PB Blaster using the red extension tube into the fuel inlet nipples, before you mount them.
The idea is to make sure that the float chamber needle valves are loose and free to open and close with the rise and fall of the floats.
Even though there was no gasoline residue left in the float chambers to contribute to the problem, I still think it would be a good idea.
You might also turn the carbs unside down and back a few times while you are spraying to encourage the needle valves to get moving again.
Just a little "carburettor p m"

G

Which way does that cut out face? Is it supposed to be on the lower right side?

OP
G

gtemkin

Freshman Member
Re: Lesson learned replacing Strombergs with SU HS

I believe so. That way the square tab at the top of the spacer matches up with the square tab on the intake manifold. I'm not sure what the function of the square tab is. It may have been a method of discerning whether or not the spacer was assembled in the correct orientation, because if the tab wasn't there, there wouldn't be any way you could tell if the inner slot was correctly positioned.

If that's the case, this would be a very early example of Design for Manufacturability (DFM). That would have put them would years ahead of their time.

Gregg

OP
G

gtemkin

Freshman Member
Re: Lesson learned replacing Strombergs with SU HS

I'm putting up a few pictures of the issue that started this thread.

Not coincidentally, I did a compression test and found #'s 1, 2 and 3 were at <span style="font-weight: bold">130</span>psi and 4, 5 and 6 were at 150psi. I <span style="font-style: italic">was</span> running my front carb leaner than my back carb. So it looks like valve job time.

First photo shows the Stromberg fuel block with the slot coming off the main bore

Second photo shows the same but with an SU gasket overlayed. Note the vacuum leak hole.

The third photo shows how the throttle linkage hides the leak from view on the rear carb.

Gregg
Strom_Fuel_block.jpg

Strom_Fuel_block_w_SU_gasket.jpg

Vac_leak_hidden_by_linkage.jpg