• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What I have learned about Sprite horns

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
The horn on my '60 bugeye has always made a raucous noise, not a nice, mellow BEEP as all good horns should. Finally, yesterday, I decided to fix it. I learned a lot from the experience.

First, I took the horn off and tested it on my workbench. Believe it or not, the coil resistance is only a little over an ohm, so the sucker pulls something like 10 amps when the coil moves the diaphragm! The average current, which I measured, is about four amps, which seems like a lot just to run a modest little horn. It does explain why the horn button and slip ring, in the steering column, tend to stop conducting--and the horn doesn't work--unless all the parts are in perfect condition. It's a lot of current for some of those contact connections.

I also discovered that you can adjust the loudness and, to some degree, tone of the horn with the screwdriver adjustment in the center of the diaphragm. Screw it in too far, it sounds ugly; out too far, and it's not loud enough. I played with this until my ears were ringing and the neighbors were looking out their windows at me. But, you can get it adjusted nicely if you can tolerate some loud noise while doing it. Reinstalled, all seemed well.

So, today I was driving along, fat, dumb, and happy, and suddenly I heard BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP! The horn was stuck on. Fortunately, I wasn't following a carload of LA gang types, so I still have my life, always useful. I pulled over, disconnected one wire, and it didn't stop. Aha! I knew immediately what the problem was! The side of the horn circuit that goes through the horn button to ground was shorted internally! I disconnected the other side and all was quiet. Whew!

So, later today I took the horn apart. There are two large terminals inside the case, to which the wires are connected. One of these is very close to the case, and I suspect that it shorted to the housing. The fix was simple; just bend the terminals back a bit. Even so, I decided to replace the horn with one from Pep Boys (I know; sacrilege!) which draws about half the current. I'll keep the original horn, just so I can return to originality if ever I want to.

By the way--this is the horn that has a flat diaphragm and a hemispherical cover on its back, held on by one screw. I suspect this is the original horn; in any case, it's a Lucas horn, so I suspect others are similar.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
As I remember orginal horn had one screw and a tab thing on the mounting bracket? But I do not remember two wires?

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Woops orginal horn had two screws and two wires. sorry.

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
If you want to use the origional horn you could use a simple relay for your horn button and wire a dedicated wire for the hot wire of the horn. I have an air horn off a big boat that is wired this way. My thinking, little red car, really loud horn.

Steve_Lawrence

[ QUOTE ]
My thinking, little red car, really loud horn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I put the horns off of a 1970 Dodge on my little Honda motorcycle back in the early '80s. It is amazing how much more attention they got when the "infamous left-turn in front of the motorcycle" situation was starting to unfold.

Country flag
A good policy: the smaller the car the bigger the horn.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

G

Sarastro - I had a similar problem with my 76 Midget horn. Someone installed 2 horns (they are made in France) in my car and they would not work. Like you, I checked the horns and measured the current. They took around 10 amps each. Since the 1500 Midget doesn't use a horn relay there is no way the wiring and horn button was going to support the 2 horns and around 20 amps. I removed one of the horns and now I have a loud horn that works every time. The other fix would be to install a horn relay with the power to the horns coming directly from the battery through a fuse. The use of one horn was the easiest fix and it works great. Usually there is a low and high horn but the 2 horns that were installed in my Midget sounded the same.

bugimike

Yoda
Re: What I have learned the old about Sprite horns

I found the old FIAMM dual air horns out of my old Fiat 124 Coupe worked great on the bugeye - tunable and loud! Compressor finally died (the Fiat was a '69)and I went back to Lucas but '60s-'70s vintage. Noise is noise!

--------
Mike
59 Bugeye, 69 Sprite
Lead, Follow or get out of the way!

OP
Sarastro

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag

For what it's worth--according to my shop manual, there was a "windtone horn" option for the bugeye, using two horns and a horn relay. Frankly, I think even the single horn could use a relay, but this was probably not originally installed for cost reasons.

caseyjones955

I used a Stebel compact air horn (compressor and trumpet are an integral peice). I placed in place of one of the anemic stock horns. Its now loud enough to get through cell phones, newspapers and other variants of idiocy behind the wheel. The most worthy upgrade I have made to date! Very pleased.

I didnt realize the stock horns were savable, they barely worked.

Tony