• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Keeping Cool in Florida

RDKeysor

Jedi Trainee
Bronze
Country flag
In the continuing effort to keep my very handsome '60 BN7 drivable in the summer heat in the Jacksonville, FL, area, I've just tried a couple of new tricks. At last fall's Brit car show at Safety Harbor near Clearwater, another Healey owner showed a less-known trick to improve engine cooling. I've just done this, and while I haven't really checked out the results because its been really hot here, I'll explain the fix. Like most Healeys, my radiator has two bolts on either side at the top and brackets with two bolts at the bottom on either side. These are the bolts that go through the frame member, not the ones that go through the brackets into the sides of the radiator. When the bottom bolts are removed and the top ones backed off, the radiator can move rather freely. I bought four longer bolts, 2 1/2" but could better be 2 3/4" or 3", and then cut four 3/4"-long spacers from a section of 1/2" electrical conduit. The goal is to shim the bottom of the radiator forward, thus distancing it a bit more from the frame member that runs just behind the bottom radiator tank. Healey was aware of the issue here, as the cars were manufactured with several large holes through that member likely intended to enhance air flow. No need to remove the radiator hoses or drain any coolant. Now remove the four lower bolts and install the new bolts with the spacers between the brackets and the frame member. This then spaces the bottom of the radiator 3/4" further away from the frame member. Reinstalling the bolts and spacers is easier said than done, of course, like all things on Healeys. Be sure to push the top of the radiator fully forward when tightening the top bolts. I found my Texas cooler-style fan came no closer to the top of the radiator than before I made this modification. Since the cost of this effort is minimal and it can be undone, why not? The wonderful Safety Harbor show, by the way, is Oct. 25, unfortunately the same date as our British Car Classic XXVI show near St. Augustine on the other Florida coast. Our Triumph Brethren are sponsoring that show.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Keep your tie loose and walk slow.:congratulatory:

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
D Keeping Bondo cool - Texas style Spridgets 1
drambuie KEEPING YOUR HEALEY RUNNING COOL....... Austin Healey 23
SCguy TR4/4A Keeping your TR4 cool? Triumph 13
wangdango Keeping the heat out? Austin Healey 11
T Philosophizing on keeping cars for more decades - prompted by a broken throttle cable Spridgets 3
J What's the Secret- Keeping New Aluminun Shut Face Finishers Looking New? Austin Healey 7
M Looking for opinion on keeping original parts for my modified Healey Austin Healey 8
M Generator not keeping up? Triumph 10
K Keeping a Flywheel from rusting.... Triumph 13
T Keeping the throttle linkage shiny Triumph 5
J Electric Fans and Keeping Things Balanced Triumph 3
E Keeping the rodents at bay Restoration & Tools 5
N Keeping cooool !! Spridgets 24
Newkie MGB keeping mice away from my winter stored MGB MG 11
John_Mc Denial not keeping rust away. Triumph 13
J keeping the heat out Austin Healey 10
kodanja Keeping up with Traffic Triumph 51
ronzet Keeping the brake and fuel lines nice and bright Austin Healey 3
A keeping choke from sliding back in Austin Healey 28
B Keeping doors closed Austin Healey 17
U Keeping Them On The Road Triumph 5
Bret Keeping busy: Cosmetics upgrades. MG 12
B Keeping my top on Austin Healey 6
HealeyPassion AH Project: Cool Air to Engine Austin Healey 5
R Cool Remanufactured Part for Vixen 2500 TVR 7
PC something really cool, and a Ferrari Spotted 11
B Dodge Chrysler Cool Vanilla = Old English White? Spridgets 7
Basil Admin Note Please mark items SOLD. Also - Cool new modification for the Classifieds forums Triumph Classifieds 0
Basil Admin Note Please mark items SOLD. Also - Cool new modification for the Classifieds forums Spridgets Classified 0
Basil Admin Note Please mark items SOLD. Also - Cool new modification for the Classifieds forums MG Classifieds 0
Basil Admin Note Please mark items SOLD, Also - Cool new modification for the Classifieds forums Jaguar Classifieds 0
Basil Admin Note Please mark items SOLD. Also - Cool new modification for the Classifieds forums Other British Classifieds 0
Basil Admin Note Please Mark sold items! Also - Cool new Mod for our Classifieds forums Austin Healey Classifieds 1
Basil Admn Note Cool new modification for the Triumph forum Triumph 7
Basil Admin Note Cool new modification for the MG forum! MG 3
AngliaGT Cool Old Truck + Spotted 1
tahoe healey cool air pull knob nut Austin Healey 15
D Lilly is a now a cool car... Austin Healey 17
David Townsend For Sale Cool Father's Day Gift Idea Jaguar Classifieds 0
David Townsend For Sale Cool Fathers Day Gift Idea! Austin Healey Classifieds 0
AngliaGT TR2/3/3A Cool TR3 Baja Racer Story Triumph 5
PAUL161 Cool New British MC! British Motorbikes 3
C EZ Cool Austin Healey 14
PC way cool credits Other Cars 5
CessnaTPA Cool breeze scoop Austin Healey 2