• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Ignition parts question

T

Tinster

I'm rebuilding my emergency breakdown
repair supply kit for Amos.

I got 200 miles drive from the new Petronix ignition
before it failed. I am now running on points and
condenser. David, the Canada Guy, showed me how to change
them out when they burn up.

I now have two spare sets of points/condensers and another
set ordered. I also have three functional coils and three
sets of spark plugs.

On average, how many miles should I expect before the
points/condenser fail and I break down? I am building my
spare parts war chest for an attempt at a 70 mile R/T drive
in Amos.

Thanks as always, /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thankyousign.gif

d

OP
D

Deleted member 451

When it comes to points you are usally better off carrying a small flat file of a bit of fine emery cloth with you instead of another set of points. Changing points on the side of the road is a sure way to loose a screw that you must have. Just run the file between the contacts to clean them up and drive it home.
I have a post right now asking about the Petronix. If it wans't for the possible performance gain I wouldn't consider it.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Some condensors seem to last almost forever. Points really SHOULD last at least 10,000-12,000 miles. The contacts might burn to the point where they can no longer be cleaned up; more likely, the rubbing block might eventually wear to the point where one cannot get a sufficient gap.

jdubois

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Bill said:
a bit of fine emery cloth

I never liked the idea of using emery cloth to clean the points. Too easy for the abrasive to come off the cloth and end up in the bowels of your dizzy.

OP
T

Tinster

Thanks Bill,

I'll get a small file and also purchase a bunch of extra
screws in case I lose one. I carry a decent selection of
spare nuts, bolts and washers in my kit.

Andy, I forgot to mention: I've read that rotors fail
frequently; particularly some foreign made ones. I had
a brand new one burn up during engine warm up. Zero miles
driven!

I carry three spare rotors, 2 spare dizzy caps and one
spare set of plug wires. Do you think 3 spare rotors is
enough, given the salt air environment here on the island?

I'm thinking about purchasing an entire spare distributor,
just to be safe.

PS: I also have a spare elect. fuel pump wired into the
car and one spare mechanical pump as well. Many spare
fittings and pieces of fuel line as well. One spare water
pump, gasket sheet material and two jack stands.

dale - be prepared! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

OP
T

TRDejaVu

I carry:
- a coil
- 2 rotors (just in case)
- points and condensor in case my Pertronix fails. 1 year running a used Pertronix with no problems yet
- a multimeter, a couple of yards of electrical wire, some wire cutters and pliers
- a plug wrench and some emery paper
- Philips and straight screwdrivers, plus an adjustable wrench and the right size wrench for the points

Although I do all of my own maintenance and I have done some inventive MacGyver repairs when I used to have these cars back in the day, if it were to go beyond the capability of that small kit then I will revert to a cell phone and the Haggerty breakdown insurance phone number (3 per year with free 120 mile trailering). I don't know if that is available on the island.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Dale-

After having points fail me on the road last year (a first time for me), I'm now carrying a complete distributor - it is overkill but much easier to handle when an emergency breakdown happens. The key for me though, was picking a spare up very cheaply as I don't think I would have spent the full $$ for this option.

Randy
65 TR4

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
jdubois said:
I never liked the idea of using emery cloth to clean the points. Too easy for the abrasive to come off the cloth and end up in the bowels of your dizzy.
Any decent electronics store should have a contact burnishing tool for just a couple of $$.
https://www.electronix.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/9290

Using a file is not a good idea, as it leaves the surface too rough, thereby promoting more burning.

Edit : However, in an emergency, the abrasive strip from a pack of matches will do nicely. Tear the staple out, unfold the cardboard, tear off just the strip. After rubbing a bit with the abrasive on each contact, finish cleaning with the plain cardboard.

kc_doyle

Jedi Trainee
I only carry my cell phone with my towing ins. number on speed dial. Haven't had to use it yet. Knock wood...

OP
D

Deleted member 451

My emergency kit consists of a AAA card and a cell phone. If I had an old dizzy I would take out the contact base plate and set up new points and condinser on it. You could pre gap the points then all you would do is take out the old one and put in the new one. Two screws and about 2 minutes.

OP
T

Tinster

Don't have towing insurance available.
I must be able to repair the car beside the road
or face serious $$$ for a flatbed tow.

I am taking Amos out for a spin. Here is my partial
emergency repair kit.

repairKit.jpg
[/img]

dklawson

Yoda
I've had a couple of Craftsman points files, not no-name stuff, and neither has seemed to cut into and dress the points. I no longer have points in either LBC but when I did I carried the points file and part of a piece of 240 grit wet/dry paper. I'd wrap the 240 paper around the flat file and work it between the points. Honest-to-God emery cloth would probably work, but I'd be afraid as others above about either leaving grit behind in the dizzy... or worse yet, a chunk of the coarse material getting stuck in between the points holding them open.

In addition to what's been said above, I carry a test lamp so I can static time the car and/or use the wire for repairs. I've heard of matchbooks for roadside repairs like Randall said above... however, I've heard of people using the covers to set the points gap.

Embarrassing Moment: The Mini died on me at work during the early summer. I thought it was the spark plugs so I whipped out my disposable tools to install a set of backup plugs. NO SPARK PLUG SOCKET. I limped back to work with limited power and found a socket in the company tools. No matter what you take with you, you'll find you wish you had one more item when you do eventually break down.

OP
G

TR4nut said:
Dale-

After having points fail me on the road last year (a first time for me), I'm now carrying a complete distributor - it is overkill but much easier to handle when an emergency breakdown happens. The key for me though, was picking a spare up very cheaply as I don't think I would have spent the full $$ for this option.

Randy
65 TR4

Don't tell Dale that. He will end up putting a whole spare engine in his boot!

OP
R

RonMacPherson

Cuz, You've been told how long point usually last, 10-12K. If you get a small tube of distributor grease and when installing points put a wee dab, that's a tiny bit for you non-Scots, on the side of the rubbing block that gets lifted by the distributor post.

Get a Standard/BlueStreak rotor, if you can find one. It also fits the MGC and early Jaguars. I keep a rotor in my kit, used to replace them about every 6 months, until I came across this Standard rotor and it's been in there for over two years.

The rest of my distributor I do not touch. Crane/Allison, coil mounted up by the wiper motor with the Crane box on top of it. MSD 6 box under the glove box. Works great and haven't touched the ignition, except to transfer it to it's latest 6 about 4 years ago.That reminds me, replaced the rotor then and no need for a rotor, yet.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
RonMacPherson said:
Crane/Allison, coil mounted up by the wiper motor with the Crane box on top of it. MSD 6 box under the glove box.
Well darn ! That's exactly the configuration I was planning ... now that Ron has endorsed it I'll <span style='font-size: 12pt'>have</span> to do something else !

<span style="color: #FF0000"> <span style='font-size: 14pt'>Just kidding, Ron !</span> </span>

Seriously, using an optical trigger combined with an MSD 6/A is a very effective setup (tho a bit pricey). One caution, learned the hard way : On the TR2-4, the center button in the distributor cap is a resistor. It apparently will not withstand the output current from a MSD 6 box; anyway mine burned up (turned almost perfectly white) within a year or so of installing the MSD 6. So, I hand-carved a piece from a carbon-zinc flashlight battery to replace it (in a new cap), which lasted just fine.

jobster

Tinster said:
Don't have towing insurance available.
I must be able to repair the car beside the road
or face serious $$$ for a flatbed tow.

I am taking Amos out for a spin. Here is my partial
emergency repair kit.

repairKit.jpg
[/img]
Dale,

seems to me that you don't entirely trust Amos. That's a bad thing. Why not try the Nepalese Monk approach: give, give, give and some day you will collect your rewards. So, clean up that stuff and fill it up with booze. In general the latter will help getting over disappointments.