• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I think I know why the rear brakes weren't exactly doing their job.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I think this picture says it all. Bugsy IV had new brakes, wheel cylinders, new Master cylinder installed when I purchased and in fact Master had never seen fluid before. I did not bother to check rear axle seals but guessing sitting for a long period of time, likely on jack stands without wheels on, did in the rear axle seals. There was a big glop of dried goop on the axle seal that was not concentric even. Anyway, Axle had E-Brake Rods and Brake lines removed on Sunday, three applications of Degreasing Foam and pressure washed. Now to get the wheel bearings out as Subaru Sealed Bearings are going in. Paint Gloss Black to be applied over the next few days. 1/4 Elliptics are in paint. They've been sanded and all new nuts and bolts. Gloss black now, one side will be sprayed with some slippery paint to avoid squeaking. Tube shocks gone replaced by Lever Arms from Peter C. All new bushings, new radius arm. Spring pockets pressure washed to get rid of mud and debris in there and I could see the original Nevada Beige Paint underneath all of the dirt in there. This can never saw salt but it sure saw mud as Spring Pockets were totally full of hard caked on mud. It's all going to be pretty underneath when I'm done.

I will be changing this over to a Creative Spridgets Rear Disc Kit in the future but in the meantime it's Spring Time I need to get out and drive. New 1,326 Engine and 5 speed will targeting August Install. Paint in OEW over the Winter along with new Red Interior. In the meantime my 948 with Cam, HS-2's and Cooper- S head and headers will get Bugsy moving down the road again.

View attachment 48406

Desert Rat

Country flag
Hey Jim, do you have a part number for the Subaru sealed bearings and where you picked them up? I think my outer paper seals are on the way out so I see this in my future.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
That's the ones. There is a nice video on Spridget Mania on steps to take apart and replace as well. Nice tip about removing the Spring before driving the inner seal into place. And no I do 't have a fancy arbor press but a neighbor sure has one.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Hylomar to coat the paper casket surfaces.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
You are correct JP. Hylomar on gasket thin film both sides.

dklawson

Yoda
... In the meantime my 948 with Cam, HS-2's and Cooper- S head and headers will get Bugsy moving down the road again.

948 block and Cooper-S head? Are you talking about a 12G940 head or something different? If a large bore head, is the block pocketed or did you recess the valves? Just curious.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Doug,

It is a solid strong engine with a Cam, LCB Header, and HS-2's. It is the correct casting to be a Cooper S Head. Pulls really strong. I've never had the head off. I do know the car was Auto-Crossed by Previous Owner, It came with a nice set of wide Corvair Wheels with Sprint Centers. So your guess is as good as mine. But it runs like a scalded ape. I was only able to drive this BE 7-8 times in Sept and October last year when I got it running after being off the road for an unknown amount of time. Issues with Brakes and Suspension, RadiusArm Rods, and Rear Tube Shocks kept me from exploring the true potential of this engine but it sure feels quick. I committed to the 1326 from Mickey Pleasant before I had this little jewel running. All of that has been fixed and upgraded so a few weeks and Bugsy IV will be back on the road. New Tires come in Friday.