• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I need a 1275 head.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
I hope my motor holds together until this winter but even if it does, I need to get another head and get it ready to go. I am just looking for a used head with no known cracks and all the parts still with it, if possible. Not a lot of money to put into it but I have time. I just don't want to pull my head unless I can find another one ready to go on it. Anybody close to me with a junker or a head?

dklawson

Yoda
Kim, if you are planning on rebuilding the head yourself (I will probably regret suggesting this) contact Bill Cox in Shelby and ask him if he has a used 12G940 head you can buy.
https://www.montecarlomini.net/avail.htm

There are both big and small valve 12G940 heads.

Country flag
The ones I have need a complete rework and I would not use without being magnafluxed.

livinginthepast

Jedi Trainee
I'm not close, but I've got one. I took it off a running motor about five years ago, but it would need to be cleaned up. Can't guarantee anything, but it's yours for price of shipping if you want it.

dklawson

Yoda
Norm Abbott is the eBay guy (mentioned above). I have also bought a number of parts from him over the years. He's a very helpful and fair guy. Bill Cox will be closer if you want to drive to pick up a head. However, the last time I shipped a cylinder head it wasn't too expensive (roughly $30 from California to NC). Norm's in PA so shipping shouldn't be that high.

OP
regularman

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
dklawson said:
Kim, if you are planning on rebuilding the head yourself (I will probably regret suggesting this) contact Bill Cox in Shelby and ask him if he has a used 12G940 head you can buy.
https://www.montecarlomini.net/avail.htm

There are both big and small valve 12G940 heads.
I have done quite a few heads myself for regular road use. check the valves, seats, guides, and put in new valve seals. I also have an abrasive blaster and some magnaflux spray somewhere downstairs that is supposed to show up cracks, etc. More time than money right now, so I will do my own. There is still the possibility that it is a crack in a cylinder wall, or (pretty unlikely after the 3rd head gasket) still a gasket problem. If it turns out not to be the head then I will have a spare for myself or someone else.

OP
regularman

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
livinginthepast said:
I'm not close, but I've got one. I took it off a running motor about five years ago, but it would need to be cleaned up. Can't guarantee anything, but it's yours for price of shipping if you want it.
That sounds like exactly what I need right there. One that was working good when removed that needs a good going through. I live in Arden, NC 28704.

dklawson

Yoda
regularman said:
I also have an abrasive blaster and some magnaflux spray somewhere downstairs that is supposed to show up cracks, etc.

That sounds more like a dye system as MagnaFlux requires some additional equipment. We used to use the dye to inspect castings in a previous job. It worked well as long as the part was properly prepared.

Don't forget your local club up there (BCCWNC)
https://www.bccwnc.org/
I know there are some A-series owners in the club. One of them may have a spare head available.

GeeBee1

Jedi Knight
I have a 12G940 that will cost you and one off of a '71 smog plugged, worked well when removed cheap. NYC

PM me if you are interested

Pat

I got quite a few bare heads, mostly 12G1316. The best way to crack check a head is to pressure check it, it always help for checking for cracks if you beadblast the head first, magnfluxing into a carbon filled exhaust port is a uselss effort. 1275 head normally are good to not be cracked, it rare to find a cracked one, but still it's not chance I take.

Here's my first piece of advice, put hardened exhaust seats in the heads, no matter what the exhaust seats look like, the old original seat even if they look good good want hold a seal, we've proved this with leak down test. Chris let me know if I can be of hlep, I got a excellent shop that does the seats, for me, in fact all the Western NC SCCA racers of all sorts of cars come down my way for this kind of work. Give me call if that interest you.

Some of you up there, probably know Tony Kipling of Old English Cars in Hendersonville, his race car, thats my old SCCA FP car, I traded him a street MGB GT he restored for the FP race car, I recently in tha last year or so helped Tony switch over to a limited prep 1275 HP engine, I did the head, crank, rods in that motor for him. Tony is a good guy, does mostly maintainence work on Ladn Rovers and LBCs you also got Gary Nye, Basicly British up there as well, he does good street car work and some restoration work, gary is good guy, ther are a few more up there, but I end my list with Gary and Tony :smile: There00 are few BS artist up there in the hills as well :smile:

Bottom line, we've got better machine shops and engine resources down here than you guys have up there in WNC. OK, OK, Ok you guys have better roads, and colder rivers :smile:

Here's a picture of my old FP car, this was 2002 at the Mid Ohio National championship runoffs. The car pretty much looks thew same now that Tony has it.

OP
regularman

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
dklawson said:
regularman said:
I also have an abrasive blaster and some magnaflux spray somewhere downstairs that is supposed to show up cracks, etc.

That sounds more like a dye system as MagnaFlux requires some additional equipment. We used to use the dye to inspect castings in a previous job. It worked well as long as the part was properly prepared.

Don't forget your local club up there (BCCWNC)
https://www.bccwnc.org/
I know there are some A-series owners in the club. One of them may have a spare head available.
Definitely some good folks at the club but I really can't make the meetings with how I work, I went to one meeting and there was one guy with a 74 midget and one guy who owend a bugeye but neither of them seemed to be the type to do much oth their own work. I met that guy that wokr at old english cars, he was driving a 1275 mini pickup truck. I enjoy doing things myself. I will figure this out, eventually.

dklawson

Yoda
I don't know if club member Neil Weinmann would have a spare 1275 head or not but I would ask him. He should have contact info at the club web site. You can tell him that I sent you his way.

Bill Cox in Shelby isn't too far either. You have to be careful how you work with Bill as he's a bit "touchy". If he doesn't have a 1275 head down there already he could certainly have one put/placed in one of the cars he brings in from the U.K.