• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I don't have stupid written across my forehead

Basil

Administrator
Boss
I went to the dealer to get some parts for my little pickup truck. First I needed a couple of special bolts for the timing chain guides which I knew only they would carry. While I was there I figured I'd price the guides themselves as well as the tensioner. The bolts were a few bucks a piece, ok no biggie. Then I inquired about the chain guides (there are two - one on the slack side on one for the tension side (The side that wears out soonest). These guides are about the same size and same general shape and made of similar materials. Or so I thought. The slack side guide was about $14.00. Ok, I think, I can live with that.

“What about the other side?” I asked.

The guy studies his computer screen again. “Looks like about $68.00,” he tells me.

“What?” “You’re joking, right?”

“Nope,” says the guy.

“Well, might I ask why the right side guide (which is usually the one people need) is so much more expensive?”

“Different shape,” he says.

“Of for the love of…,” I think to myself, Then, against my better judgment, I asked about the oil-activated tensioner.

“Well, lemme see,” the guy says, again studying his computer. “That runs $88.00.”

“For this little thing?” I ask incredulously.

“Yep”

“Well, I think I’ll just buy the bolts for now, thanks very much”

Then I drove over to AutoZone and they have all the parts I needed. The tensioners were $13 and $14 (the $68 dealer part was actually the cheaper of the two). And the $88.00 tensioner? It was $21.00

Every now and then its good to be reminded why I should not go to a dealer for parts unless absolutely necessary! (And I looked at both sets of parts – no discernable difference is quality).

Basil /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

Bret

Yoda
I think I got that t-shirt too Bas.

When the local Ford dealer tried to talk me into letting them replace the transmission on my wife’s old Explorer after they diagnosed the problem.

Knowing better I said: How much?

Strait faced the guy said: $3200…

I said well let me check around & I’ll get back to you.

How’s $2800 sound? He asked.

Again I told him I was considering doing it myself and I’d let him know.

Walked into the parts department as asked for a price quote for a rebuilt tranny. The counter person clicked away on the terminal and said: “$2200.”

Again I said thanks but I’d check around and let them know.

How’s $2000 sound? He asked.

With a smile I simply thanked him and said if I changed my mind I’d let him know.

As I checked a few local shops the price varied but in each case was significantly cheaper than the dealership’s prices. Then I priced doing it myself – what a huge savings. Got a rebuilt transmission for $750 (+$200 shipping & another $300 core charge). Once it was delivered I swapped it out myself and returned the old trans a week later got my core charge back.

Yes the dealerships ain’t their to do you any favors. I only take my vehicles to the dealer for factory warranty service and that’s it.

R6MGS

Yoda
Most dealers fall under this classification.....When I got the Jag I shopped around for canvas top weatherproofing....For a laugh I thought I'd check the dealer...$350!! So the next time I was in for some small plastic bits I looked in the display in the waiting room...Spotted an open top protectant kit, that same one I was priced $350 for....Asked the parts guy about it, "Sure $35 bucks and you can have it"....Now I need to get that lucky again this year.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
You oughta try pricing up a Timing chain set for the Datsun fairlady with the OHC 2 liter. try $1200 for the chains, sprockets, guides and tensioners.
I told my buddy I could rebuild my entire TR motor for a lot less than that, so he reminded me of the performance difference
He forgets that that dosen't matter a lick to me.

Yaeh, not to a guy with a 5000lb jaguar - hehehehehehehehe.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
[ QUOTE ]
Strait faced the guy said: $3200.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeez, I only paid $1100 for a rebuilt auto tranny in a Corvette - installed!

Basil

Bret

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Basil

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow?! That seems like an amazing dealer cost installed. Imagine the money you'd of saved doing it yourself? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Basil

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow?! That seems like an amazing dealer cost installed. Imagine the money you'd of saved doing it yourself? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That wasn't a dealer cost. It was a local Transmission shop. I didn't have the time at the time to do it myself. I felt like $1100 for a Corvette tranny installed wasn't too bad. I'm sure it was less than a dealer would have charged.

Bret

Yoda
That sounds a little more in line with the pricing I got from some of the local transmission shops I visited. But $1100 was still a lot cheaper than those quotes.

Still under a grand (w/shipping) for a DIY'er like me (especially in Southern Kalifornia) is a pretty good deal.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
[ QUOTE ]
Still under a grand (w/shipping) for a DIY'er like me (especially in Southern Kalifornia) is a pretty good deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely! Great way to go! I would have loved to do mine but my work schedule at the time, and it being my primary transportation at the time, it just wasn't in the cards.

(PS: Have you peeked at your article in the Newsletter? I just had to tweak it slightly to get it to fit. Thanks a million for contributing).

Bret

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
(PS: Have you peeked at your article in the Newsletter? I just had to tweak it slightly to get it to fit. Thanks a million for contributing).

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes I did. Thanks, it looks great. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Front prop-seal on my plane was leaking. The specialty aircraft vendor I buy from quoted me $93 (It seems like *everything* on a plane is around $100).
I brought the seal to my local seal and bearing vendor. They charged me $6 for a replacement. Pays to shop around!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Back when I owned a diesel BMW, I decided to rebuild the engine...BMW dealer in Kansas City told me to go to the Ford dealer for parts as the same engine was also in a Lincoln...they were half BMW prices - & inside the Ford box was the part - in a BMW box!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
As a small independent shop we had a near-full time job just sourcing parts for various EuroTrash. Oddly, a 2002ti factory reman "engine-in-a-box" from BMW was less than the cost of sussin' the bits and doing the work in-house. We found that puzzling... but that was Path of Least Resistance. Most other things are just the reverse. Go figger. :shrug:

jayhawk

Jedi Warrior
I bought a really nice '97 Audi A-4 a few years ago but I noticed the (auto)tranny was kinda jerking into second gear. I was concerned but the sales guy said they had it checked out and it was normal (hmm, was I surprised?). I pressed them really hard about the terms of their warranty for the car and had them sign a statement that the trans was ok and negotiated a drive train warranty as part of the deal. In 2 months the car was at the Audi dealer and the Toyota used car store was paying Audi 7 grand for a transmission. I didn't even have to pay the $200 deductable. Wondered at the time whether there was some kind of dealing going on between Toyota and the warranty company and Audi but the Audi guys said that was right. Wonder what it would be at a tranny shop.

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
SWMBO's X5 needed front brakes not too long ago. Just for fun, I called dealer for a quote. $695 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif. Bought the OEM parts wholesale (rotors, pads, wear sensors, misc little bits) for about $215. I think it took me 40 minutes, including the beer break.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Did same with Diesela: rotors, pads, sensors, bearings, seals and hoses. Spent closer to $400 but even an old Benz has the same labor rate, IYSWIM: Didn't call the dealer but know it'd have been triple what I put out for parts. And Herself kept me in fresh brew as the job went on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I should have paid the Hawk price for pads, tho... these squeal a bit now and then. I just R&R and clean everything out. Next time!

donbmw

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Front prop-seal on my plane was leaking. The specialty aircraft vendor I buy from quoted me $93 (It seems like *everything* on a plane is around $100).
I brought the seal to my local seal and bearing vendor. They charged me $6 for a replacement. Pays to shop around!

[/ QUOTE ]

Was that seal you bought an approved aircraft part with all the proper papers that go with this. Or do you have a home built aircraft or one that is certificated experimental where you can install any part that you what.

Don

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
It's a real shame that the dealers feel the need to charge as they do. I'd happily take my car back to the dealer, even for a small premium, if I could be assured they would service the car well. In theory, they should know their brands better then anyone else. In practice...

Too much of the 1-transaction mentality, not enough of the longtime-customer one. My grandfather bought Chevys from the same dealer for most of his life. Not many now that would show (or be rewarded for) that kind of loyalty now.

jayhawk

Jedi Warrior
When I had my Passat, I was quite satisfied with one dealership in terms of reasonable prices for services rendered; but I also noted that the 3 VW dealerships all had different prices for the same service. I learned to shop for them as well.