• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hibernation over...I'm back...Pinion Seal question

Willie_P

Jedi Hopeful
Hi all, non-heated garage, winter over in the Northeast and restoration of 62 tr4 resumes.

A quick search brought up many posts on pinion seals.

My question revolves around the seal itself. i bought the Moss replacement pinion seal for tr4 and after removal what I presume to be the original one, they are vastly different (as you may know).

The Moss replacement is kind of "hollow" whereas the original has layers of packing, rubber a spring and a metal backing plate.

Anything special that I should do in offering-up the NEW/REplacement seal to the car? I read all the posts on hylomar and prep of the diff housing, etc.

My question is relative to the inner diameter/rubber seal part of the seal. should I liberally PACK it with bearing grease or anything or just a light coating of grease on the ID?

thanks and look forward to many posts as I resume this resto.
best - wes

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
No need to pack it, just a generous smear on the lip will do fine. The grease is only to ensure that it is lubricated until the oil from the inside of the diff works it's way into the seal area.

Make sure you polish the surface of the flange until there are no marks from the old seal. If you can't rub out the old mark, consider installing a Speedi-sleeve. Also coat the polished surface with grease before you install it.

Don't forget, the nut needs to be torqued to 85-100 ftlb. I found it easiest to make a simple tool to hold the flange from turning, which can be seen here holding a Stag output flange

DSCF0002_crop.jpg

(the tool is about 30" long, which doesn't show in the photo)

OP
Willie_P

Willie_P

Jedi Hopeful
HEy TR3 driver..great advice and thanks!

My diff is "in situ" but with no axles on the car (and no body either)- so it spun! however, the tool I improvised from sheet stock was the same as yours - only the difference was that my flat stock bar (about 2 ft long) was levered against the underside of the frame rail.

I did not gouge the casing on the removal and this was likely the first time the seal was ever out, so it's in perfect shape...very smooth and shiny, but i'll do a minor finger polish with some emory cloth or what have you.

thanks again!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Just to be clear, I was talking about polishing the rotating surface that the seal runs against, on the input flange. Unless there is a problem, I wouldn't mess with the bore in the differential housing, except maybe wipe it with a cloth dampened with solvent.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
I Spitfire Triumph Spitfire 1500 refuses to awake after 10 year hibernation Triumph 6
Sopwith_Camel hibernation over Jaguar 2
T Thanks ALL! Amos out of hibernation! Triumph 11
M TR6 TR6 out of summer hibernation Triumph 15
Brosky Seven months of hibernation over..... Triumph 19
Baz Post Hibernation issues...SUs Spridgets 53
angelfj1 OUT OF HIBERNATION "briefly" Triumph 6
Rick_Thompson TR2/3/3A TR3 rack and pinion kit problem... Triumph 17
S TR2/3/3A Pinion tail bearing replacing Triumph 12
A Spitfire Spitfire Diff Pinion Seal? Triumph 2
M MGA RHD twin cam steering pinion MG 0
Scotsman Rack and Pinion Conversion for 3000 Austin Healey 7
M Need help removing the pinion assembly from a late 1275 steering rack Spridgets 7
edkap2002 TR6 TR6 rear pinion seal Triumph 3
T 3.54 Crown & Pinion Sources Austin Healey 13
M MGA RHD rack and pinion wanted MG 19
Joel Lester TR2/3/3A What size speedi-sleeve needed for pinion seal on a TR3? Triumph 6
C For Sale New in box 3:54 ring & pinion Austin Healey Classifieds 4
T TR2/3/3A TR3A rack & pinion conversion question - solution for horn & directional lever Triumph 2
C TR2/3/3A Rack and Pinion Conversion for Tr's Triumph 0
M TR2/3/3A Speedy Sleeve Repair Sleeves for Rear Axle Pinion and Half Shafts Triumph 1
roscoe Rear end crown and pinion gear swap. 4.11:1 to 3.54:1 [long read] Austin Healey 12
M TR6 Power Steering Rack & Pinion. Triumph 3
M TR6 Electric Powered Rack & Pinion. Triumph 4
T How do I clean sand out of a ring & pinion? Spridgets 2
jfarris TR2/3/3A Castellated nut on the pinion Triumph 9
T XK120 fit 140 rack & pinion Jaguar 3
JAV 3.5 ring and pinion Austin Healey 18
luke44 TR2/3/3A TR3 pinion seal - leaked from sitting will it reseal? Triumph 12
M TR2/3/3A Identification of Rack and Pinion Unit Triumph 3
M TR4/4A Where to buy a new crown wheel & pinion for TR4A Triumph 5
N Pinion Seal Replacement Spridgets 2
P Identifying a Ring and Pinion Austin Healey 8
T TR2/3/3A Drive end of speedo inner cable to large for pinion Triumph 2
T TR2/3/3A Question on overdrive pinion & bearing assembly for speedo drive Triumph 11
D BT-7 pinion seal replacement Austin Healey 8
Keith_M starter motor pinion gear -- 9 or 10 teeth? Spridgets 4
M For Sale bj8 ring and pinion gears 3:55 for sale Austin Healey Classifieds 6
RAC68 Has anyone considered Power Rack and Pinion Stearing and/or an Air Bag suspension Austin Healey 32
Z BN1 Crown Wheel and Pinion Austin Healey 1
T TR4/4A Replacing rear pinion seal - remove driveshaft? Triumph 21
Sarastro TR4/4A New pinion seal doesn't fit! Triumph 20
K TR2/3/3A Ring and Pinion Wear? Triumph 11
T Differential Pinion Bearings Austin Healey 0
Sarastro TR4/4A Looks like I need a new ring and pinion... Triumph 30
T Steering Box Pinion Seal [?] Spridgets 1
G Torque for Front Pinion Nut Austin Healey 3
K TR2/3/3A DIY TR3A Rack and Pinion Steering Conversion Triumph 0
histerical Ring and Pinion Spridgets 8
drooartz Diff pinion nut Spridgets 10