• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Harbor Freight Rolling Tool Cabinet

equiprx

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Originally I got a cheapo Matco roller years ago from Home Depot and it worked well enough for the few tools I had, but the bottom open space is useless, even with the drop down door. When I started getting more tools, I found a pair of used Craftsman rollers and top cases. I probably spent about $100 for each unit. They have drawers from top to bottom and are working fine for my needs. One is for just tools and the other is for spare Jaguar parts, hardware and trim. They are not roller bearing drawers but if well lubricated don't give me any problems. They won't support the weight of a car falling on them but they don't flex under the weight of my tools, roll around easily and I have the drawers marked with what is in them with magnetic stickers. I hate having to look for tools I know I have and these keep things manageable. I wish the rest of the shop was as organized as my tool drawers.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I think for $159 it's a bargain. I agree about the lower space, but, I have been looking for an upper unit for awhile and haven't seen one for less than $200 new.

equiprx

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
It's not like I have tons of time but if I ever do, I'm going to install a few drawers in the open space of the cheapo Matco. I've been converting various instrument cart frames, into service carts over the past few years. They usually have great wheels already installed and strong frames. Getting better at hanging the shelf sliders for the next time.

BabaKahawa

Jedi Knight
lbcs_r_fun said:
We quickly realized that we better invest in some sort of tool storage. Does anyone own one of these. On sale for $199. but with coupon 20% off, so $159. Seems high to us.

Nice unit... where did you find the 20% off coupon?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
BabaKahawa said:
lbcs_r_fun said:
We quickly realized that we better invest in some sort of tool storage. Does anyone own one of these. On sale for $199. but with coupon 20% off, so $159. Seems high to us.

Nice unit... where did you find the 20% off coupon?

I'm one their email mailing list, I get one almost every week.

BabaKahawa

Jedi Knight
Great, thanks both of you for the 20% off info...

BabaKahawa

Jedi Knight
rlwhitetr3b said:
Many times there is one in our Sunday paper. They are also in most of their ads in magazines.
Good info. I found the tool cabinet in an add in the april motor trend
for $ 149.99.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Not expensive at all!!!

I have three Snap-On boxes, two 33wx18dx38h and one the size of an Amana 'fridge... THOSE were originally pricey. Got the big one back in the late '70's new, the two bottom sections were repo units and my Snappy guy sold 'em to me for a LOT less than new ones (or I'd not have 'em!).
Chase down a Snap-On dealer and ask about any storage he may have that's been reposessed. There's a lot of kids out there payin' on th' drip thinking they'll get to the other end and it doesn't happen. :wink:

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
DART said:
I have the HF like that, don't have a huge collection so plenty of room. Only thing I find slightly inconvenient is the wheels do not swivel, only roll side-to-side.

Thanks for the warning. That's a serious flaw in most shops and a pain to fix after it loaded with tools. I didn't buy a a harbor freight box (found some nice used Kennedys) but did look over their selection a few months ago. Their display models, at least the ones I looked at, had the conventional wheel setup, two stationary and two swivel so I would certainly check with the sales. They all seemed very heavy and robust, however, and probably worth another set of wheels. I think HF carries caster wheels too. Tom

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I have an older Craftsman box. Quite a while ago they use to sell smaller boxes that hung off the sides for screw drivers and such.
Have looked and it looks like I can't get them any more.
With the purchase of the Wedge a few years ago, I had to expand to more metric. Would like a couple of small drawers for wrenches and such

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Have you checked flea-bay for something like a middle section for the box you have, Don? There may be one of those three drawer ones floating around there.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Don't want it high than it is. These were really swell
Dang

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well I guess they still make it but now that I look at it it is prolly to small. Want it for my wrenches
Drawers are only 3 3/4 wide

Maybe I'll go this route. It's11 3/4 wide drawers

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
When ya mentioned wrenches in one of the small side boxes it made me scratch my head. Those are good for mic's, files, scales (rulers) etc. But a wrench set? naah.

That big open area in the bottom of the Sears one was never practical, IMO. This one at HF seems more useful.