• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Harbor Freight Parking Lot Sale...

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
...7-9 March...just got my flyer...among the good deals is a 1 ton foldable engine hoist for $97.00!

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Heck of a deal for a cherry picker that's all you'll ever need for MG plants.
It'd be nice to have a HF near here.

roger_abbott

Jedi Hopeful
Banjo, you might want to investigate buying from Harbor Freight on line. I was amazed by the low freight on my last three purchases. My orders were delivered to my door within 3 working days on average.

Freight charges were so low that it would not have been worth it to me to make the 18 mile drive to the local Harbor Freight. Another advantage is that HF is never out of stock on line, something that happens at the local store all too often. Finally, HF sometimes offers bargains on line that don't show up in the stores.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
yea, but shopping online just ain't the same as cruisin round the store goin' "oooh I could use that" or more importantly, "I woulden't waste my money on that chincy thing. Think I'll hold out for a better one" after I look somthing over.
But yea, The online store is always there.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
But, if you're one of their club members, you can take the on-line bargain to the store with a coupon they send you to print out - then the store gives you the on-line price without shipping! Best of both methods.

mailbox

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Just had a Harbor Freight store open up here. I'm like a kid ina candy store. Thank God i'm broke because I would go broke ina place like that. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

beaulieu

Jedi Warrior
How many Pro mechanics use Harbor Freight tools ?

For hobbyist that use these tools a few times a month they are great , but I doubt they will hold up to hard everyday use....

they are better than a few years ago,
the bearings in the grinders do not sound like gravel now /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I don't buy anything electrical from HB...when I buy a cheap air tool from them, I buy exactly that: a cheap air tool I won't use often.

But there are lots of things in that store that are great....the engine hoist is an example...the sand blast cabinet I bought from them or the parts washer I bought...cheap & do what they're designed to do!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
beaulieu said:
the bearings in the grinders do not sound like gravel now /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
Oddly enough, I have one of those gravel grinders ... it's still grinding away after many hours of operation. If it dies tomorrow I'll still figure I got a great deal.

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
TR3driver said:
beaulieu said:
Oddly enough, I have one of those gravel grinders ... it's still grinding away after many hours of operation.

Unlike my not particularly cheap black & decker angle grinder which died in a huge smelly cloud of sparks and smoke.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
If it does not have precision or moving parts, I buy from HF.

Clamps, dead-blow hammers, carts, hammer/dolly set, jackstands (always used redundantly) = HF.

Wrenches, screwdrivers = Sears.

Air tools = IR (I'm biased, I work here!)

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Here's an example of the internet coupons I get from HG...got about 20 or so of them today!

6.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I have one of those hoses, Tony. Be REALLY aware they do NOT like any chemicals. Even mineral spirits seems to attack 'em. Got some lacquer thinner on one, wiped it off immediately but the thing still SPLIT from that. Dramatically.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
good to hear, Doc...coupon in the trash!

eejay56

Jedi Warrior
I just got one of those 1 ton cherry pickers and yes it's Chinese junk but for how often I pull an engine it's great. If I made my living doing that I wouldn't even consider it. But I doubt I'll use it a dozen times. HF is great for seldom or single use tools. A guy at NAPA called them loaners because you don't have to worry about getting them back. My wrenches are Craftsman, Snap-on, Proto and the like. I have a second hand tool store I go to for good old stuff.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Eric - I've been using one of their "junk" folding engine hoists for about 10 years now!

eejay56

Jedi Warrior
tony barnhill said:
Eric - I've been using one of their "junk" folding engine hoists for about 10 years now!
Good because I got one of those too.

AweMan

Jedi Knight
Popeye said:
If it does not have precision or moving parts, I buy from HF.

Clamps, dead-blow hammers, carts, hammer/dolly set, jackstands (always used redundantly) = HF.

Wrenches, screwdrivers = Sears.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Air tools = IR (I'm biased, I work here!)</span>

For what it`s worth:
I`v used the I.R. Air grinders professionaly for 30 years, everything from the 3/8 airline 4 in. disk to the 1 in. airline 10 in. disk. Sometimes ALL day long, I can attest to thier reliability. In the 30 years I wore one I.R. 4in. disk grinder completely out. The 7 in. and the 10 in. disk grinders were still going strong when I retired. The 4 in. disk grinder got a LOT more use than the others. Good tools, Yes Sir they are!
P.S. I also had the 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 in air drill motors
same same Industructable!
These tools will last a hobbyist and thier sons, and thier sons sons a lifetime.
Worth every penny they cost!

eejay56

Jedi Warrior
By the way that is a great price. Mine was 149 with a 15% coupon from the entertainment book I paid 126. I had a hard time getting the legs under the car with the wheels on I'd pull at least one when you use it.