• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Harbor Frieght Engine Stand?

eejay56

Jedi Warrior
I've got one and the only problem I have is that it takes a little fiddling to get the arms to fit my 1500. I ended up using only 3 arms. I keep meaning to make an adaptor but I keep not getting around to it.

OP
J

jackag91

Jedi Warrior
Thanks Eric,

My motorcycle engine stand uses the engine mounts to hold it. Where do the arms connect on this? Do I need to buy anything else (special mounting bolts, etc)

milemarker60

I have that one and the best words to describe it is "barely adequate". Before I started my conversion I pulled the TR6 engine out and bolted it up to this. Quite a bit of sag and a lot of flexing when rolling around. The bolts that were supplied were useable in some locations but I do recall making a run to the office to source a few other sizes (don't remember what). Granted you probably don't plan to use it more than once and it does break down easily so again I'll say it was adequate. If I were to do it again, I'd have popped for a little better one.

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I used a lighter model from HF for my TR3 motor rebuild. It was completely adequate.

You bolt through the arms into the engine/transmission mounting holes. Yes, you will need to buy these bolts. Wait 'til you've got the stand and see how it's going to mate up with your motor -- then get some bolts and, perhaps a couple of nuts. You will probably want to connect at least one arm through the (unthreaded) starter mount hole.

Edit -- I was wrong. This is the one I used.

IanF

Jedi Trainee
I have the lighter 3-wheel version. We used it when cleaning/painting the B20 from Jerseygirl's Volvo 1800ES during the transmission conversion.

"Adequate" would be an accurate description. Were I to buy an engine stand again, I'd get one of these:

https://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/OTC-2012A.html

OTC-2012A.jpg

A bit more expensive, but looks to be a LOT more stable.

danstr6

I personally don't buy anything from HF. I have found their quality to be severely lacking. I have purchased both of my engines stands from Northern Tool. They have worked great. I have used them for holding engines, gearboxes and body tubs with no problems.

rlandrum

Jedi Trainee
I recently switched from an old tripod home-made engine stand (from the 60s or 70s) to this one:

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Geared-En...emZ350110132693

While expensive, it makes turning the engine over so much easier. Since it's gear drive, I can adjust it to just about any angle I want, which made reassembly much easier.

The only drawback is the price. And the fact that it requires 5 inch bolts to connect to the block, which are hard to find (lemme know if you need some).

bill_young

Jedi Warrior
I have the 32916 stand and it worked fine for my 2.8 V6. I didn't notice any flex or other problems.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I've got 5 or 6 of them in my shop....work fine for all my engines 4-cylinder to V8.

foxtrapper

Jedi Trainee
An inline 6 is a long engine, as well as being rather heavy. This means a straight 6 frequently puts more of a load on an engine stand than a V8 does.

I'd be very hesitant to use that stand with a straight 6.

cannon

Freshman Member
I used one for rebuilding my TR6 engine, no problem. I even put the head on while on the stand. Just be sure the mounting bolts at the clutch housing are very tight.

mikespain

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I have used this type of stand on various engines in the workshop (jaguar straight sixes included)never had a problem,so would think it will be adequate for your needs

I got 4 engine stands, 2 are discount store types,a dn tow are homemade, for occasional use use the store bought ones are fine, for me in continued use I found the HF type stand to lacking a little bit in the castor departament, and had to modify them and put better castors on them. If you going to use just every once in awhile, a store bought cheap engine stand will probably work fine, if you goinng to use one over and over, I rather build my own. Another thing about building your own stnd is you can taylor it to your needs, if you are short or tall, you can custom make it for your liking.