• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Front Seat Bases and Door Seals -- BJ7 -- Advice

BG 62AH

Country flag
Guys, I really need a little advice on mounting my front seats, and some help with door seals.

On the seat frames, I am ready to install the carpet into the car. I am confused on the the order to install the steel strip and the wood spacer (that go under the seat runners), and if these items are installed on top of the carpet, or cut out recesses in the carpet.

With the door seals, I've seen some cars where the door seals run up the inside the B pillar, and then are capped at the top of the door opening. On other cars, I have seen the door seal material continue past the top of the door frame and then continue to run along the top of the rear inside panel (my car is a BJ7, so it has the recess for the folding top). I am unclear on which is correct.

I would really appreciate any thoughts or advice or pictures. Thank you very much for your help.

Bill

British_Recovery

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
The door seal should run up and onto the panel covering the top recess where the springs are. It should end with part # 240-530 "CLIP-door seal end" in the Moss Motors catalog.
Bob

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Bill, I agree completely with DerekJ and Bob. I just wanted to add that I believe the best source for the door seals is McGreagor in Canada. His are the exact copy of originals and of unquestionable quality. I originally tried to fit other products from other sources and had unbelievable problems. Finally threw everything out and bought everything from McGreagor. My car is far from original but I would have run the furflex over the top edge of the inner panel if i knew it was the correct way at the time. But I cut it too short before I found out. My aluminum finisher panels were bent up, tore up, and painted black when I got the car. So I hammered them straight, stripped and sanded the paint, then clear coated them to try to make them do.

Attachments

• Copy of DSCF2681.jpg
    Copy of DSCF2681.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 135
  • Copy of DSCF2680.jpg
    Copy of DSCF2680.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 142
  • Copy of DSCF2762.JPG
    Copy of DSCF2762.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 132

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Bill,

As I understand and Derek stated, the rugs should be easily removable to allow any penetrating rain saturation to be dried outside of the car. I often wondered, and would appreciate knowing, why English cars of the era (created in a moist climate) were less weather protected then Italian cars (manufactured in a sunny climate).

The original rear rugs and pads (per the picture below) were slotted to allow them to extend under the seats and surround the runner. The packing wood and metal strips were installed to raise the seat runners off the metal floor to allow room for the rugs. Keep in mind that the slots are cut into the rear floor rugs and the front floor rugs terminate at the front of the seats. Snaps are installed on the back of the rugs with receivers installed into the metal floor and through the pads. The snaps keep the rugs in place and allow the rugs to be removed. Removal of the snap receivers is necessary to remove the floor rug padding, however, the amount of moisture penetrating the cabin was expected to be small enough to be held by the rug (a miscalculation in my opinion and experience).

Healey Rugs.jpg
Ray(64BJ8P1)

OP
B

BG 62AH

Country flag
I really appreciate all of this information, the pictures are great. Thank you all so much