• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Front Flip Hood Alternate Latching

tiiM5

Gold
Country flag
I am interested in converting my hood to "Front Flip", I am aware of Gerard's excellent kit for this purpose.
I really do not want to install the side straps or other features on the sides of the hood.
I saw a dated photo of a latch system fabricated on the two hinge locations from the body.
Is anyone aware of any alternative latching for the hood other than the side straps and other side fastener method?

I'd love to see a system that allows gentle downward pressure to release a latch at the firewall brackets.

Thanks for your ideas.

OP
T

tiiM5

Gold
Country flag
Attached are photos of the latch I mentioned.
Anyone know about this? Looks like a very nifty system. I'd like to find the owner or anyone who might have knowledge of this. Bugeye_Latch_Bonnet.jpgBugeye_Latch_FW_small.jpgBugeye_Latch_FW_top.jpgBugeye_Latch_Release_Cable.jpg

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
That is really cool I just couldn't take all the anxiety of pulling the cable maybe this time maybe not ?
your not sticking thru the grill on that one.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Rut tried to set this up on his BE and last time I talked to him he gave up on it IIRC. There are latches like that that if cable breaks they pop open. I found some beautiful latches from the U.K that are available for external side mounting. I'll try to post the link tomorrow.

OP
T

tiiM5

Gold
Country flag
SD, Thanks that's my reticence as well, be great to get a system that requires no holes in panels. Just my preference no disparagement meant to those with side straps.
The photos are from a car that was at a British Car Meet in Palo Alto, CA years ago. I was hoping the owner might still be around.

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have seen a setup years ago in MN. that was really cool.
it used the hinge points.
it was a set hood pins upside down
then you reached under the dash to pull the hair pins
i should have taken a picture
it was on a bugeye that was a racer at on time
but no holes in bonnet .

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Google Bonnet Latches and Bonnet Catch. All sorts of things are available from the UK.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Those photos were taken by a friend of mine and are also on my web site. I have pictures of the car as well, but I never saw it other than that one time, even at subsequent Palo Alto shows (of which there weren't many more). Neither of us met the owner that day as he was not around all afternoon, so neither if us were able to ask any questions.
SD, Thanks that's my reticence as well, be great to get a system that requires no holes in panels. Just my preference no disparagement meant to those with side straps.The photos are from a car that was at a British Car Meet in Palo Alto, CA years ago. I was hoping the owner might still be around.

nomad

Yoda
I always thought that something that could be accessed in the foot well would be the way to go. If using a fiberglass bonnet I had thought something made up with a Dzuz fastener to save weight would be slick or more with complexity an over center hook devise somewhat similiar to the JagXKE treatment. I had a BE that front tilted and used big ugly latches. There isn't much required to keep the bonnet closed when its front tilt.

Kurt.

OP
T

tiiM5

Gold
Country flag
I own a BMW 2002 tii, I have been thinking the hood latch system might be a model to copy. The 2002 hoods tilt open from the front the locking latch is cable operated and turns a bar across the engine compartment that has "ears" on each side that rotate into fixed locking blocks.
Simple design though the hood of a BE is curved as opposed to the 02' hoods which are relatively flat. Maybe something could be retrofitted?
I saw those pics on the Sprite spot site from years ago while searching then I saw them on Gerards site after finding an archive discussion from 2014 on this site.

The Speedwell set up looks nice but it is self advertised as a difficult time consuming fit.

Any other elegant solutions out there?

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Bugeye front tilt latches are more difficult to install that you might think. I've fabricated several different types of latches and none really work the same every time you close the bonnet since the front hinge design allows the bonnet position to shift. I've tried electrically powered linear actuators, electromagnetic latches, and a variety of mechanical latches with varying degrees of success. I am not willing to use any method that shows from the outside and my next design incorporates pins on the lower trailing edge of the bonnet that fit into receivers mounted in the sills. I've even given TR6 top latches a thought since they are 1/4 turn latches and they could be accessed from the footwell. If I use locating pins I will mount them vertically with a large enough 'mouth' on the receiver to help center them with a pull pin to keep it in place once it's closed. My shop burned last November and I lost all of my parts and tools, so my fabricating days are on hold until I rebuild.
HTH, Rut