• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

From across the fence...an MG fairytale

G

Over in my neighborhood (Triumph forum), we are currently discussing good deals on cars that we may have experienced.

I've been keeping this secret for a long time, too embarrassed to reveal my little tale for fear of ridicule. Well, what the hey, here goes.

Just recently, maybe 2 years ago, a good friend called me and , knowing my love of LBCs, asked if I could help her sell her MGB. Well, I had forgotten that she still owned that car, her daddy had bought it for her new as a present to console her between husbands. Myself going through some issues at the time, sort of flipped her off, called a car broker friend of mine that could step in to help her. Well, son of a gun, she never liked the car, stored it in a garage on her daddy's estate, and had 2100 miles on it! Apparently her daddy would have his driver go out and start it every so often. My broker "friend" bought it from my girl-friend as a "favor" to me. He told her he really didn't want it, and besides, the tires were cracking.... She sold it for what the original sticker was, minus the price of new tires. Oy Vey, a mint MGB for peanuts!

My broker friend quadrupled his money with a 10 minute phone call. The car now resides in Mississippi and is consistently a show winner.

If I had only gone to look.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
It sure proves the old theory, that hind site is 20/20./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif PJ

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Another in from the bushes. Isn't it amazing how many are out there.

R6MGS

Yoda
Bet you'll never turn down another chance to look at a car again huh? Even if it is an MG. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
I have a similar tale, but with a happier ending...

I drove my B to work one day. I found a note on the seat saying that someone had one an MG for sale with an office extension #.

After settling in with my coffee the next morning, I called the extension. A woman answered and told me she had an MG in the garage and wanted rid of it - her ex-boyfriend bought it for her and she hated it. I asked a bunch of questions and all I got was "It's red, and I want $500 for it". She had no idea what model or year it was, only that it was red and a convertible.

I told her I was interested and went that night after work, cash in hand, praying to find a TC/A. It turned out to be a pristine low mileage but dusty 76 Midget. No rot, perfect paint, the trunk was loaded with new parts, including a new Robbins top in the box. Car had a rollbar and a Weber DGV installed. I paid cash on the spot and towed it home with a friends dolly that weekend. I put about $100 into it to get it running and cleaned it up inside and out. My wife didn't want it sitting in the driveway, so I waited until spring and then sold it for many multiples of what it cost me. I am too tall to drive a Midget comfortably. It's still around as far as I know.

Never turn down the opportunity to buy an MG, or any car for that matter, as you never know what you'll find.

OP
D

Deleted member 3577

Last year I was on one of many trips to the fab-shop.....

One of the hillbillies that works there half out of boredom asks, "So you like-em little fur'en cars, right?"
He says his father in law has one behind the barn and......
"Been there since he crashed it"
"Some kind of British, fiberglass POS is all I know"
........"Interested in taking a look?"

So right away it becomes a 23C in my mind.......Sure I'll take a look.
(Not realistic, I know but WTH.......People play the lotto for a shot of hope, this is free)

Before we even get near the thing.......I say out loud "2500M....... I'll be damned!"

He says "what?".........I say "100 bucks?"......He asks "cash?" & I show him the $

I was up to my eyeballs in other car stuff at the time so I told my brother to bring his truck, trailer & $100............. He just bought a TVR.

All said & done........He.ended up making about a grand on E-Bay.

All that was damaged was the bonnet & rad but it needed a full resto.

Rick_Stevens

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
Note to Self: Don't think out loud. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

R.

OP
D

Deleted member 3577

Got another one.....This one haunts me.

I was checking progress on the Elva at the paint shop & this kid comes in.
While waiting on the body-man we start talking cars.
(We are both watching my car being wet sanded.)

He said that a friend of his grandad parked an old racer in his father's shop (now his garage) after he blew up the engine.
So I ask him what it is.......He says 4 cylinder. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
He says it has a really ineffective looking roll bar & an itty-bitty oval windshield.
Also, he said it has a funny looking grill & louvers all over the hood.

I draw outlines of several grills in the dust on the shop wall.
I draw the "superman symbol" and he exclaims......"YES-That's it.....What is it?"

So I ask him how rusty it is.....
He says that the frame has some surface rust on it but the body is perfect......."It's aluminum."

WHAT!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif...........I get his # and offer to take a look "next time" I'm in the area.
(So as not to appear too excited)

I call him a couple of days later and the phone is disconnected.
I ask around the shop & nobody can remember who he is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Now you guys are beginning to understand why I always carry a few hundred dollar bills, never haggle over price, & immediately go to look at every LBC somebody tells me about....you should only know some of the prizes I've found over the last 20 or so years!

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Almost did not go & look at my '67 but something compelled me to do so. I was a Midget feller but since then,love the B's. Got is for a third of what he wanted.

I missed a 64 Sprite, a 70-something triumph, and a verrrry rusty 60's MGB before I found my 77. Wife told me to come back with it - regardless. I think she was just tired of me talking about them... little did she know... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif