• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Anyone buy a TR6 from across the country?

brokenmoped

Freshman Member
...Or maybe just a LONG way from home? If so, what method did you use to get it to you? I've got a few TRs in mind, but they reside 2000 miles away from my house! So, I was wondering what the cheapest and best all around way to get aquire an out of state car?

vrod

Fly out and drive it home!

2Triumphs

There are auto transporters that would transport your new auto for you. The cost is reasonable. NY to Florida around $600.00 I think.

V

vagt6

The gent who bought my GT6 last September lived in Jacksonville, FL. He flew to Charlottesville with his girlfriend, drove my GT6 around the block one time, paid me cash and drove the car back to Jacksonville, approximately 1,000 mile trip via Interstate highways. Also, there was a hurricane bearing down on Florida as he left my house!!

He later emailed that the trip went well. I assume he's still dating the girl, she did not look happy when they left. I assumed that he was actually trying to dump her by taking her on such a trip, but apparently not.

Sorry, I had to tell this story. I wouldn't recommend such a trip. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

Stinky

Jedi Trainee
I flew from Maryland down to Austin Texas last summer and drove my 71' TR6 home about 1800 miles. Took a few days, but I made it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kurtis

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
If the car is capable of making the trip, I agree with those who've suggested flying out and driving it home. That's what I did when I bought my TR4 a few years ago (1200 miles away).

Bill Redd

Jedi Hopeful
It all depends on the condition of the car.
Excellent condition - maybe drive it, or ship it carefully!
Average - anything specific wrong? if not, drive it!
Poor - Ship it cheap!
We shipped a vehicle a number of years ago, and it was cheap with a "common carrier." However, it may be moved to different trailers during the course of the move.
There are private haulers with full, enclosed trailers. I can get some names if you need them (I've got a friend with a beautiful trailer that he uses to haul, mainly within Calif., mainly for concours-quality vehicles).

OP
B

brokenmoped

Freshman Member
Ok, so the general consensus is fly there and drive it home. That's what I was leaning towards rather than having it shipped. Anybody every fly there and change their minds?

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Why don't you take a poll and line up a few volunteers (one in each state would be preferable) to be ready for repair duty when you pass through? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ab Crevoiserat

Jedi Hopeful
I transported my TR6 via common carrier from Boise, Idaho to Long Island, New York. I thought the Price was reasonable at 1000.00, the only problem I ran into was that the actual carrier was not the company I contracted with, therefore he had a timetaable of his own and all of the promises the "Broker" made to me, ie: "once the car is on the trailer it will stay there till it is delivered" or "we will know exactly where your car is at all times", or we will deliver it to your door, not a depot" were all bogus. I had to pick it up in NJ just on the Jersy side of the GWB. Once I got the car I was happy but untill then I was a wreck. A word to the wise, make sure the person or company you contract with actually owns the truck it is being shipped on and not just a shipping broker, anyway Good Luck

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
...I was wondering what the cheapest and best all around...

[/ QUOTE ]

I shipped my TR4 3000+ miles as it was not practical to drive it. Used a broker for the trucking and everything went flawlessly and to my door ahead of schedule, but maybe I was lucky.

Safest way is enclosed transport but not cheapest. Put a pencil to the 'driving it home' (gas, motels, meals) based on how you like to travel. You may find it is cheapest to have it brought to your door.

Stinky

Jedi Trainee
There are lots of horror stories regarding transport companies. I bought a Car off Ebay a few years ago and the transport co. made all the usual promises. They turned out to be a joke. The car was damaged about $1800 worth. Naturally they said the car was like that when they picked it up,...and the seller of the car swears that the car was fine when it left his property. The problem was that the car was moved from one trailer to another several times, althought the Transport Co. said that would'nt happen. So we were dealing with 3 different drivers. Naturally, nobody would stand up and take responsibility, thus I was stuck fixing the car with my own money.
Therefore:
When it was time to pick up my Triumph I was determined to drive the car home myself. I had a mechanic in Austin Texas go over the car and get it road worthy. I flew into town and drove it home.
For me a transport company would be my last resort. I'd rent a trailer and tow the car home before I'd call another so called "Reputable" transport company.

DART

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I can't make any promises about end-of-trip condition, but look at my post in classifieds about an empty race rig going from Baltimore to CA in early May. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif