• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Feeling stupid -- converting tachs

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Okay, I've been reading the documents by our very own Sarastro and Doug Lawson on a couple of ways to convert your mechanical tach to electronic operation, and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. I'm not an engineer, though I've done some soldering (mostly guitar repair work). I'm trying to figure out the simplest way to get to a reliable tach operation, while retaining the original Bugeye tach face.

Here's what I have in hand:

* Smiths RVI 2401/01 tach (4"), that I now know is missing the little piece that the wire loops around. Positive ground.

* Smiths RVC 1401/01 AF tach (3"). Unknown if it works, but it looks to be all there. Negative ground.

* Original Bugeye mechanical tach, in working order (though the drive gear box is broken, hence this work to replace the tach).

* Original Bugeye mechanical tach being bid on in eBay. Needs restoration, but the gauge face looks to be in decent shape (that's what I want it for, as I don't want to cut up my original unit).

It would seem to me that I can use the donor Bugeye face, RVC guts, and one of the two 4" cases I'll have to make this all work. I'm just not feeling very confident. Building a circuit board as Sarastro did seems a bit beyond me, or am I just being a wimp? I do own a soldering iron, and have used it to some success in the past.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
In all candor, I wouldn't recommend trying to repeat my project as a first electronics project. Not that it's so difficult, in terms of the electronics, but there are so many pitfalls with getting everything to fit, and so on. For example--one of the biggest problems I had was that the pin from the sacrificed tach was smaller than the original mechanical one, so the pointer needle didn't fit. So, I had to make a plastic insert, drill it out 0.020" diameter, and press the pointer onto the pin. At that point I discovered that it stuck out too far, so the glass face cover wouldn't go on. More mods, finally getting enough clearance.

In fact, I think the hardest part was figuring out how to make it all fit together, mechanically, deciding what pieces to use, making sure there was enough clearance, and all of that.

But, if you're good at dealing with this kind of thing, thinking it out and anticipating problems, it might be fun to do. Might be good also if you know someone electronically knowledgeable who can help with parts and such, and help troubleshoot if it doesn't work.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
...and I s'pose some watchmaker's training wouldn't hurt either, huh? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
There's certainly some training involved that my music degree didn't cover! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Well, you're certainly getting plenty of "OJT" with the Tunebug! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
You ain't kidding, Doc.

I haven't felt this ignorant since I was a little kid! At least I'm not (normally) afraid to push past that and get on with the learning. Part of why I enjoy it, really.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
"Ignorant"?!?! BAH!! You've got books, the actual MACHINE and the BCF as source reference!!!

"Ain't nuttin' ya can't do" with a bit of concentration.

...don't hurt to have a few "spares" lyin' about, either. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I count on all of those things, Doc. Doing it still seems to be the only way to gain real understanding, though.

spritenut

Luke Skywalker
Drew

Here's what you do.....
Use the 3" Neg ground tach guts. Stick them in the 4" tach housing, some dremel or filing will need to be done to the housing. Now just screw the Bugeye face to the guts of the 3" tach and use the needle. All are interchangable unless you have the late 3" tach with the dial plate screws going verticle. (73 on tach) You can do the same with the 65-67 4" tach, just swap guts, dial, and needle. Now all the gauges match. I don't know why ther Bugeyes/MKIIs had a silver face but the smaller gauges are black and so are the 65 on dials.
So "matching" is not the word, it's a combo of silver and black face gauges.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks, Frank. Sounds like I've got a plan in there somewhere. The 3" tach is the vertical one (74 Midget tach), however, so the proper one may need to be sourced.

spritenut

Luke Skywalker
Drew
You can use the 74 tach guts, I did just that on my 59.
I drilled the holes to match the horizonal screws.
You have to look real close to see the verticle holes.
I'm sure a spot of black dum-dum from the back side would hide the holes.
That 74 tach is a negative wire hook up. No white wire loop.
I forget the wire color but all you need is a wire from the bullet connector to the - side of the coil.
The spade terminal gets a green wire (hot with key on) and a close jumping point is the gas gauge where the green wire (b terminal) hooks to. Some even have a spare terminal already.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks, Frank, that's comforting to hear. I'll have to play a bit and see what I can do with the bits I have on hand.

I assume to use the 74 tach I'll need to convert the Tunebug to negative ground. No big issue there, just clarifying.