• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

European Trip

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'm wrapping things up this & next week in preparation for my upcoming European trip May 27th through June 28th....unfortunately, Europe isn't as well connected into the internet as the US or the Far East & I'm finding there will be places where I can't get on-line (for example: the Holiday Inn Express where I'm staying 3 nights is wifi but the little 4-star hotel in Weiden, Germany where I'm staying 2 weeks isn't)....

....so, if you think you'll need anything during that time, we need to process your order this week.

....& as I can, I'll check my mail & check in on the BBS.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Have a great time. I envy you the trip. We were there in 2000 and found internet cafe's everywhere.

Speedy_Pete

Jedi Trainee
You shouldn't have a problem unless you are way out in the sticks, we aren't stuck in the stone age over here as some would have you believe!! The hotels might not have wifi, but the towns they are in should have.

saabmp3

Jedi Hopeful
Tony,

I spent 2 weeks backpacking around last thanksgiving and had no problems at all getting online with internet cafe's. Heck, during that time I had what work deemed an "emergency" which I had to work through. No problems at all getting email at nearly any time of the day. During all of this I hit 6 countries in 15 days (about 12 different cities). Needless to say, I was on the move consistently.

Now, that said, have a blast! I spent thanksgiving itself on the Ramstein AFB, which is right next to Kaiserlautern (K-town if you talk to the troops). What a beautiful area of the country side. While I was there I also spent a day touring the castles in Heidelburg, the shops in Mannheim and the christmas markets everywhere inbetween (well, those that were up by then). If you want to see a different part of the countryside, the castle in Heidelburg is pretty nice. It also has the largest wine barrel (or beer, I forget) in the world. The train system (regional, high speed and S-bahn) are all amazing throughout Germany as well.

Enjoy your trip,

Ben

(Sorry my picture of the barrel isn't so great. That's three stories high for reference).

Attachments

• 5456-DSCN0112_1024.jpg
    5456-DSCN0112_1024.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 5457-DSCN0133_1024.jpg
    5457-DSCN0133_1024.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 68
OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I especially like Heidelburg & will take Jerri there for a short stay so she can see the commemoration of the burning of the castle...another place we'll visit is Rothenburg-ab-der-Tauber...who knows where we'll hit!

Our last trip over was in 2005 but we're gonna hit some new places & revisit some places we really lke from previous trips.

I'll spend 2 weeks in the quaint little town of Weiden, Germany, though, before she gets there.

Speedy_Pete

Jedi Trainee
15 days to do 6 countries, what took you so long? I cracked 7 in a day last December, and still had time to do some shopping...

racingenglishcars

Darth Vader
Country flag
tony barnhill said:
unfortunately, Europe isn't as well connected into the internet as the US or the Far East

According to This report , even poor Germany is slightly ahead of the US, as are most other European countries, while Denmark tops the list. OK the report is about 6 months old. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

bugimike

Yoda
Speedy_Pete said:
15 days to do 6 countries, what took you so long? I cracked 7 in a day last December, and still had time to do some shopping...

explains the "Speedy Pete"!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif
I guess that's how you "do" countries rather than "see" them, eh?

ecurie_ecosse

Luke Skywalker
And here's me thinking 16 days to "do" Scotland was kinda fast! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif
Enjoy yourself Tony. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/savewave.gif

Stuart. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

Speedy_Pete

Jedi Trainee
Started off at home 4am, got to Dover for 10am, in France for 12, into Belgium at 13:00, grabbed lunch outside Brussels at 2.15, got lost going round the ring road, headed off towards Paris, got back on track, hit Luxembourg at 19:25, did shopping til 20:00, brimmed the fuel tank (much cheaper than Belgium!) back into Belgium at 20.15, got lost again around Brussels, but not as bad this time, into France at 23:00 (averaged almost 100mph through Belgium on return including getting lost), more shopping in Calais at 23.30 til 00:15, onto ferry at 00.45am, back in Britain at 01:15, 20 minutes spent explaining to customs why I had a car full of tobacco and booze, flat chat back to Shropshire and in bed by 03:45. Total 1203 miles and 7 countries in 23hrs 45mins. Easy...ish

bugimike

Yoda
Wheewee!!!!!!!! What one will do for bad habits!!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

saabmp3

Jedi Hopeful
Wow, I think the purposes of our trips were a little different /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thirsty.gif. If I were to do it over again, I'd ideally spend 6 to 24 months going around the whole continent on the trains. Heck, some of the people that I met were spending 24 months going around the world with a backpack. I guess traveling light and planning each day as it comes is an appealing vacation for me. It seems like Australian/Kiwi culture really encourages long vacations while American culture encourages long work days. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wall.gif

For those interested....
Boston->NYC (one day)
JFK->Frankfurt
Frankfurt -> Brussels
Brussels -> Amsterdam
Amsterdam -> Ramstein AFB (spent about 4 days here and the surrounding cities, including Thanksgiving)
Ramstein AFB -> Zurich
Zurich -> Marseille (spent about 4 days in Marseille, Nice, got to Monte Carlo, Monaco, if only for lunch and dinner)
South France -> Stuttgart (sp?) (Went to Porscheplatz)
Side note, I have some great pictures from the Porsche museum in Porscheplatz.
Back to Ramstein AFB
Frankfurt -> JFK
JFK -> Boston

Overall it was an amazing trip, I can't wait to go on one again. Got to learn a little German and break out my rusty French.
Ben

Speedy_Pete

Jedi Trainee
And for my next trick... I reckon Brisbane to Perth in under 48 hours is possible, my sister says no way. Only one way to find out! If anyone knows someone in Aus with a Cayenne fitted out with an oversized fuel tank that wouldn't mind loaning it out for a few days, let us know!!

bugimike

Yoda
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thirsty.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thirsty.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/bow.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Morris

Yoda
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]I'll spend 2 weeks in the quaint little town of Weiden, Germany, though, before she gets there.[/QUOTE]

Tony, you are the hardest working retired guy I know. 'Cept maybe my dad. Of course, my Dad's retirement work usually takes him to galmourous places like Hurst, Tx and Norman, Ok, with the occassional trip into the exotic (relative to North Texas) Louisianna!

I am going through a German beer phase right now so please drink lots of it and tell my how much you enjoyed.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]I am going through a German beer phase right now so please drink lots of it and tell my how much you enjoyed.[/QUOTE]

Visited my doctor Wednesday - in addition to sending me for a cordasone shot in my right shoulder before I leave - she told me not to come back to see her for 6 months, that my diabetes is well under control....then she told me not to have a dessert with every European meal since she wants me to lose 15 pounds.....& to only order short German beers!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Speedy_Pete said:
You shouldn't have a problem unless you are way out in the sticks, we aren't stuck in the stone age over here as some would have you believe!! The hotels might not have wifi, but the towns they are in should have.

...tell that to some of the BT customers I know!... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hay Tony, you can order them two at a time.