• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

To Road Trip or Transport ?

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Hi All,

We just moved to SOCAL (Orange County, CA) - approximately 500miles distant from Northern CA and the last item to move is the Healey. So I have a choice: take it for a road trip or have it professionally transported (by Reindeer Auto Transporters) to our new home.

I'm inclined to take it on the road - morning drive to Santa Barbara for a quick visit then push through LA traffic to Irvine. Last 50 to 75 miles is the only concern.

The Healey's in secured storage now; mechanically in excellent shape and road ready. Tank is full, what would you do?

GONZO

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
It should not even be a question..........Healey's were ment to be driven. Just do plenty of stretching before and after the trip.

Country flag
Leave it here with me. Your red will look nice next to my white. We have driven that way a lot. My in-laws live in Huntington Beach. Best to go through the city in early AM or on a Saturday morning. Very scary. A friend snow birds to Palos Verdes and drives his BJ8 all the time there.
We are going to miss you but I've taken second place the last two years since you haven't been there.

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
DRIVE IT!

500 miles is nothing in a Healey,the more they roll the better they get!

Why not make it into a nice trip instead of thinking of it as 'transporting' the car. Avoid the highway, take some normal roads and have an overnight stop and dinner somewhere nice. I just did the same thing when bringing mine over to Belgium from the UK.

IanIrving

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I'd agree with Derek, drive it. I just completed a faultless and very enjoyable 2000 km trip through Holland and Belgium avoiding highways wherever possible. The only part of the trip which wasn't a pleasure was when in the company of large trucks, ya feel vulnerable next to a vehicle with tyres taller than your car. Back roads were built around the same time as Healeys, they go together like cheese and pickles.

Ian

Robert560

The coolest road trip I ever did was when I bought a '68 Camaro and drove it home from Virginia to Texas. It was scary (car not mechanically sound), uncomfortable, noisy, sweaty... but it was one of the coolest things I've ever done, and even my wife looks back on it as one of our all-time greatest adventures.

I still regret not doing the same thing with the Healey... but Boston to Texas would have been a bit much (though I still would have considered it if I'd had the time).

So if I were you, I wouldn't hesitate to drive it. It's all about the adventure, after all. Why else have cars like this? I'm not one of those guys who buys old cars just to stare at them and show them. I mean... how many people in the world can say they've done some epic road trip in an awesome classic car?

~Bob

Bob McElwee

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
I agree with the two day/one night trip on some interesting two lane roads. You'll enjoy it and the Healey will love it. DRIVE IT!

Country flag
In another week, I'll be driving mine up to the Detroit area, probably 1-1/2 to 2 hours. I took it for a 15 minute ride last night and my back was hurting before I returned home (28 yo compressed fractures of L4/L5).

I have mixed feelings about this trip:( I'm excited that the car was invited (!) to be in the Eys on Design car show https://www.eyesondesigncarshow.com/ but not too thrilled if I'm going to be in pain once I get there. We're taking the car up the day before, so it'll be a short trip the morning of the show.

This weekend, I'm fitting the trailer hitch to the X5 (Sue's driving that up, her back couldn't take the trip in the Healey either) and I'll decide after the show on Sunday if I want to use the fitted towbar to bring the car back home.

There once was a time that I spent 36 hours behind the wheel of that car driving, but I don't think that'll ever happen again!

Lots of stopping & stretching, combined with Naprosyn (sp?) and Percocet, and I'll see how it goes.

If you're up to it GONZO, I say go for it while you can. There may be a time in your future that shorter rides will be the order of the day!

Country flag
You can take Hwy 1 all the way to Orange County. Just think, Santa Cruz, Monterey, Big Sur, Herst Castle, Pismo Beach, Santa Barbara, Huntington Beach just to name a few fun places. You may never get another chance in a Healey. One is probably the most beautiful, winding road especially in an open Healey.

Country flag
You didn't mention your starting point, but you could take a coastal route (Hwy 1)--check road conditions, I think there's a detour south of Big Sur--or, for a little more expediency, take 101 south to Hwy 166 east from north of Santa Maria to Hwy 33 south. 33 is the 'back road' into Ojai and a fantastic drive--curves like you'd see in a European road movie. From there (Ojai) it gets ugly, but if you avoid 'rush hour' (4am-11pm Monday through Sunday) you'll be fine.

101 to 154 is more direct, but I can't speak to the fun/scenic aspect.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
:savewave:

Well most of the fun in owning a Healey is driving it where ever it needs to go.Half of that fun is getting there. --So by all means drive it---Keoke-- :driving:

elrey

Darth Vader
Country flag
:savewave: The road [hwy1] thru Big Sur reopened yesterday aftre being closed due to landslide just above Ragged Point. Take this drive for sure if you haven't already. One of the best drives in the world. Scenic as it gets. Do it during the week, less traffic. The condors hang out just south of Big Sur. They are marvelous to watch. Bob is right about 33 to Ojai. There is also a Condor reserve atop the mountain [Sespe Reserve] that 33 crosses into Ojai. Also tunnels and streams etc. Plenty of wildflowers still. Lots of ways to go. GO. :driving: Plenty of places to stay overnight, eat, and relax. If you are not familiar with the central coast pm me and we can chat. I know the area well and have driven just about EVERY road. :driving: --elrey

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yeah that little skinny road that keeps sliding off the side of the hill is a lot of fun to drive--Keoke

OP
G

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Then roadtrip it is! Going to take it on a two day run down HWY 101 nexy weekend stopping in Santa Barbara. This is exciting - haven't seeing or driven the Healey in over 3 months so it will be a good bonding reunion.

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts.

GONZO

Jim_Newman

Jedi Hopeful
Oh yeh. A couple of hundred miles in an open, hot, noisy, uncomfortable 50 year old car. Doesn't get any better than that.
Look forward to hearing back from you Gonzo when the adventure is over.