• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Interesting Road Trip, Midget Hardtop & Miffed

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Last week, mcguigo posted that he knew of a Midget hardtop for sale in Opelika, AL 205 miles to the south of me. I talked with the owner, then mcguigo was kind enough to drive from Montgomery to Opelika to take photos and then I talked with the owner again to set up a time to go get it.

Thanks for all your help, mcguigo!

Well, this morning I got up, had breakfast, placed a $2000 parts order with Moss (MGB, Midget, AH, & Miata parts) and headed south. It rained on me all the way down until I got within a few miles of Opelika. I met the owner of the top, Joel Barnes, at his business, Southern Upholstery. We looked the top over & put it in my pickup as the price was reasonable for what it was - a factory top for the 1964-1966 Sprite MkIII & Midget MkII, not in excellent shape but easily repaired - and I asked if I could see ’my friend’s’ seats that he had for upholstering.

We went into his shop. The waiting area has a counter out about halfway across the room and then there’s a gate. As he went behind the counter, he closed the gate so I couldn’t follow him.

”Could I see my friend’s seats while I‘m here?”

”They’re just a couple of cushions that are somewhere back in the shop under some stuff. I don’t really like people back there.”

So, I pulled out my “theAutoist” checkbook, ”Okay, I’ll just pay for the top and go get some lunch.” seeing that this was a man who wasn‘t real friendly.

”I don’t usually take out of town checks because of all the students at the university over in Auburn.”

Now, you guys know I sell parts & cars to pay for my hobby. The “theAutoist” check I was going to write would’ve been an ‘owner distribution’ to me (i.e., kinda like salary).”Students?”

”Yeah, they give me bad checks.”

”Well, I’m almost 60 and not a student. But, okay, I use American Express for my business expenses, I’ll just pay with that.”

”Don’t take American Express. Mastercard or VISA or cash”

Right about now I’m beginning to get pi$$ed and feel as though I’ve been insulted. ”I prefer to keep those cards separate from my cars; so, I think I have enough cash on me; but, you know, I take checks from people from all over the world for thousands of dollars everyday and never worry about them. And Alabama law says that if you don’t take checks, you have to post that prominently in your place of business. I don’t see that sign. Do you have one?”

“No, but if the top doesn’t work for you, you can always bring it back.”

”Bring it back? heck, I’ll sell it and make a profit. Better yet, I’ll throw it in the trash before I come back here.” You got change for a hundred? Oh, I need a receipt. You do write them, don‘t you?”

Methinks somebody needs to go get their ‘cushions’. I saw some of his work laid out on a table over his shoulder. I wouldn’t take my seats to him (Sorry, mcguigo - hope you have better luck with him).

Now, I’ve a ‘63 Midget, a ‘74 Midget, and a ‘76 Midget. The top won’t fit any of them. If somebody needs one, contact me - I take checks!

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
..so then he worked with ya! jeese. I'd be real pi$$ed too.

ChrisS

Jedi Knight
Nothing like customer service is there Tony. It make you wonder why some people are even in business.
Chris

Wow, and I can even use Paypal with Tony! Heck, you even called me when I noticed a part number wasn't right BEFORE you placed the order! You are one of the rare ones though me thinks.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Tony takes paypal... Very interesting. That makes life easy. Almost too easy.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Tony takes cash, checks, PayPal - but not credit cards...they cost me way more than PayPal which costs me too much as it is!

But, I always tell people that - BEFORE they drive all the way to my place!

*note* - you can pay through paypal WITH your credit card! Just to clarify tony's stand a little bit!

And to let ya know another little secret Tony... Some people - me included - are willing to pay the extra 3% that paypal's gonna charge ya - Especially if that's all we got for a short-time-frame order, or if it's not a big order - just for the convenience. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tim Hollister

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
And to let ya know another little secret Tony... Some people - me included - are willing to pay the extra 3% that paypal's gonna charge ya - Especially if that's all we got for a short-time-frame order, or if it's not a big order - just for the convenience. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif to the extent that I normally refuse to do business with an eBay seller who does NOT accept PayPal. The convenience and ability to pay quickly are well worth it to me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

Tim

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I agree completely, if for example Visa ia 3% that's a big 3 dollars per hundred. I woul certinaly pay that as well for the ability to give Tony a credit card number over the phone, and have the order done with.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Thanks, guys...

Country flag
1964-1966 Sprite MkIII & Midget MkII

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Yep, appears its the factory hardtop for '64-'66 cars.

Country flag
So... Tony needs to get another spridget so he can use the top.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
hehehehe...n addition to the TD Midget, I've a '63, a '74 RWA & a '76...don't ya think that's enough Midgets?

Country flag
seems like you need a '65 midget, a TF (my favorite), and maybe a TC.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Or maybe he needs a seperate room to display all the factory type hardtops made.

Morris

Yoda
But serioulsy, Tony, you got to get a boat-tail style Midget. It would be wrong for you not to.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
"boat-tail style Midget"??????

Any photos?