• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 things to check for road trip

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hello All,
My '69 TR6 had been sitting many years before I finally got it running this past year (Thanks to help from many of you on this forum.) I have made a number of short trips, and all seems to work fine. I am thinking of making a road trip half way across the US this summer. I have done considerable work, but am wondering just how far to go in inspecting my car. My question is what is a list of things you would check after a car has been sitting so long?
Thanks, Kevin

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
Hydraulics: brake system and clutch; thoroughly check for leaks and cracks in the rubber and plastic lines
Cooling Water pump: check for any leakage. Radiator, see how much core deposits are inside the tubes....may need cleaning. Hoses: Check for cracks, swelling under pressure and any leaks.
Heater valve: look for leakage; these fail with out much warning.
Front Wheel bearings: you may want to repack them.

Beyond that you should check everything you would normally check shocks, tires etc.

Do you plan on taking any spares?

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Make sure that you're a member of a road service that has provisions for flat bed towing in the event of the unthinkable happening.

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Even though my car seems to run well, I guess I am a little nervous about the fact it has sat for so long. The car supposidly has low milage, but I am not sure I believe it. I have come a long ways over the past year, but I still consider myself a novice basically. I have not owned one of these cars in over 25 years, so I can't remember what is normal for one of these cars. Just about all parts I replaced were with NOS items I collected on Ebay over the past year. I did completely rebuild the clutch system (inlcuding the master cylinder, slave cylinder, and I replaced the clutch pin). I also rebuilt the rear brakes (including the brake master cylinder and replaced hoses.) The front brakes seem to be fine (plenty of lining and no leaks.) I had the radiator cored and checked. I replaced all coolant/heater rubber hoses. The water pump was leaking, so I replaced that also. I replaced the heater valve (the old one was shot). I cleaned all coolant and heater pathways. I put in new U-joints. The engine does not smoke - I think it is ok. The transmission seems to work well (except for a small leak in the rear of the shifter area.) Everything works electrically. I am not sure what else I should check. I think I have checked everything you listed except for the front wheel bearings. Also, how do I know the condition of the rear end?

As far as spares go, I posted an earlier inquiry about what one should take on a road trip. The answers ranged from just taking a good cell phone and having a good road service to taking half the car in spares with you. I am not sure what I will take at this point.

jerrybny

Jedi Knight
I have to agree with whoever said it, make sure to bring a cell phone. I am insured with Hagerty Ins and they include flatbed towing in case of a breakdown. Enjoy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

D

DougF

Make a check list of spares and tools. A lot things break without warning. The more you take with you, the less chance of anything breaking, ie. if you have a spare, it won't break.
Just pack some common items and tools.

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
If the rear end runs smoothly and you do not hear a whine, just check the fluid level (which you most likely have all ready done). No need to worry about it as it seems strong enough with the TR6 motor. Check the trans mission leak when you run as if it leaks a bit now, it will likely leak while at road speeds. The transmission leak may need some attention. When mine leaks, it all ways seems to find the exhaust pipe and gives a little more road aroma to the car. It may need to be refilled before you get back. It is a real mistake to let one go too low while at highway speeds.

By the way, I am wondering if you get much Triumph road aroma in your car. Some members have commented on their king sense of smell detecting exhaust fumes in the car. Frankly, I have the same feelings but don't drive long enough to be concerned. However, if I were attempting a 4 or 5k trip, I would be interested if there are any fumes coming in the cabin. The problem is that the gas will build in the human system and over a long drive, you could have more CO than you should be subjected.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I favor a boot-load of tools and spares & no cell phone, but then much of my driving is in areas w/o cell service.

I would certainly inspect/repack the front bearings. So simple and such peace of mind.

In case you don't know, VTR has a nation-wide 'Traveler's Assistance' list -- a directory Triumph owners who have offered to be of help to those in need on the road. Access to the list is not restricted to VTR members:

https://www.vtr.org/travelAssist/index.shtml

swift6

Yoda
One way to assuage your nervousness would be to make some progressively longer trips. Like, 50 miles, 100 miles, 150 miles etc... As the car continues to perform well then your confidence in it will grow. In my experience with these cars, they like to be driven.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
One way to assuage your nervousness would be to make some progressively longer trips. Like, 50 miles, 100 miles, 150 miles etc... As the car continues to perform well then your confidence in it will grow. In my experience with these cars, they like to be driven.

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif very good idea. You've got plenty of fun twisties out there in WA - get a map, plan a little trip and make a day of it a couple of times. A couple of 100 milers and you'll feel much better about how it all works. You'll get very in tune with all the noises and smells and in the event of something happening you'll have a better chance of catching it early. Usually a major catastrophe doesn't happen before the car gives you plenty of subtle clues.

G

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif very good idea. You've got plenty of fun twisties out there in WA - get a map, plan a little trip and make a day of it a couple of times. A couple of 100 milers and you'll feel much better about how it all works. You'll get very in tune with all the noises and smells and in the event of something happening you'll have a better chance of catching it early. Usually a major catastrophe doesn't happen before the car gives you plenty of subtle clues.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will third that idea, Kev. After a few semi-long trips it would be a good idea to go over the car with a sharp eye for any problems or changes in fluid levels. Brake fluid and clutch levels are important. Obvious brake fluid leaks under the car are a good area to check, at all your brake junctions and your slave cylinder. Check your rearend for obvious leaks, your tranny and your engine oil. Little driplets of oil don't mean a whole lot, my car leaks from everywhere that have oil and has for years. Just make sure that the levels are ok.
Listen to the engine and check to see if it runs the same after a long run. Check your plugs as well as points for bad color or burned points. If your idle has changed a lot after a hard run, check to see if your dizzy is securely tightened. After several long runs, might not be a bad ideal to check your valve clearances and reset if necessary. Shouldn't have any change in clearance. Also check all your suspension nuts and bolts for tightness, especially if you did any work to this area.
Just generally listen to your car. It will tell you what it wants and needs.
Have fun!

Bill