• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Road trip!

David

I'm ferrying a customers BN6 from NM to NJ. Plan to leave on the 13th or 14th of Oct. The route is sort of US 50 give or take 40 or 50 miles north or south depending on local side trips and diversions.
If any of you live anywhere along the route and can offer suggestions of places to see, eat, or stop over night, I'd appreciate your input. If I can borrow a lap top I'll do a daily blog of my progress.
I'll deviate from US50 somewhere around West Virginia and head up to Hershey for a day stop at the fall meet or museum.
Final destination is ~15 miles east of Philly.
Dave

Country flag
If your trip puts you going through Toledo, Ohio, the BN6s can swap stories about their owners.

If you have any "issues" with the car, I'm pretty well equipped to deal with that too (and you should hear how the neighbors rave about my Margaritas...).

IMG_5869a.jpg

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Hi Dave,
I for one would sure like to hear about your trip. Next summer I am planning a small caravan (4 cars) to go from east coast to west coast and back. I was thinking that RT 50 would be the backbone of the trip in at least one direction. Any suggestions on things to include or avoid would be great to hear. We really want to avoid the interstates as much as possible. I would also like to receive your blog site if you do keep one.

Lin
1960 BT7 in restoration
1959 Bugeye

abarth69

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Well if you get lost and end up in Ontario Canada you can use my laptop. Sounds like a great trip.

Mark

healeynut

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I would highly highly recommend making a stop at the Air Force Museum at Wright Patterson AFB in Dayton, OH. That is pretty much right in between NM and NJ, so it won't take you out of the way.

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/visit/

Lots of stuff in there, you could probably spend a whole day looking at all the machinery!

Alan

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Isn't it considered cruelty to Healeys to bring one from NM to NJ?

Sounds like you're going to have a great (but toasty) trip. Look forward to reading about it.

OP
D

David

Reid,
Went through Portland ~2 years ago with another customers tri-carb.
I did stop to visit Dave Adams at Lake Oswego Restorations and to visit with Tom and Skip Monaco. Buzzed Monty Shelton's parking lot too. I was a member of the club there for quite a while until the previous owner of my 100 passed. (John Rutter)
Since I haven't found a loose laptop yet a story after the fact may be in order.
Thanks for the gracious offer and let me chew on the story idea.
Dave (Formerly Taos Garage Annex-now Porter Customs)

Country flag
If you're coming east on 50 (in Virginia) go north towards Leesburg VA on route 15, and then towards Frederick MD from Leesburg. From Frederick you can take 15 north through Gettysburg and onward towards Hershey. This route will also take you pretty close to Harper's Ferry, between Leesburg and Frederick. If you're interested, I can give you more specific directions as to where the intersections are to turn off of 50 on 15.

Healey 100

Jedi Warrior
Dave:

We'll loan you our laptop, I should be back from another old car trip on Oct 8. I'll give you a call. And if you want a brief lesson on how to set up a blog.

There is lot's to see betwix here and there. If you take a northern route, don't miss the Pioneer Museum in Minden, NE and the ACD museum in Auburn, IN. Check out the AACA museum in Hershey, that's near your destination. I heard that was most interesting, though I have not seen it. I think that Wright Patterson Museum would be lots of fun. Ditto for the new Smithsonian air museum at Dulles Airport in the Washington DC area.

Good luck and drive safely!

Bill from Albuquerque.

healey106

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Dave - when do you think you will be getting to hershey for a day? the flea market is Tuesday to Saturday - very difficult to see all in a day. The AACA show is on Saturday with about 2 dozen very nice Healeys if the weather is nice.

I hope to be there Friday and Saturday, selling misc healey items in the flea market, Does your customer's BN6 need an owner's handbook, parts book, or sales piece. I will defintely have them for sale.

Have a safe trip, and I hope to see you there

jim

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
"We'll loan you our laptop, I should be back from another old car trip on Oct 8. I'll give you a call. And if you want a brief lesson on how to set up a blog."

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif
I knew you would come through!!! As usual a true gentleman.
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif

Still liking thos bananas!

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
When you get to the KC area it would be a shame to miss some of the BBQ. Emporia to KC is interstate on 50, so according to time, I could give you a good alt. route. If it works, there is a very good chance I could meet you and simply take you to one of the many great KC BBQ restraunts. You have truly hit on a great route through the Ozarks in the fall, the trees should be beautiful. PM me and we'll exchange tele nos. Have a great trip.

OP
D

David

Hold the presses.
Change of plans. I'm afraid I had a shop accident yesterday where I ruptured my eye ball(yes, I was wearing protective gear). The docs are saying it will be a bit longer than my planned departure time for recovery.
Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll get this done, just a bit of a delay.
I'll probably turn off the watch list so I won't be replying for at least a week or so until this feels a lot better.
Thanks,
Dave

Country flag
Sorry to hear that - take your time and get well. Eyes are a bad thing to injure, they mess you up in a lot of ways.