• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Engine Mount Spacers ??????

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Happy New Year to all of you!

As I had hoped to do I got the tranny/OD into the frame this morning, and a fun job that was! I had put the exhaust system in at an earlier date, bad idea.

Any how I have attached a couple of pictures to illustrate my problem/question. As you can see the rear O/D mount is not lining up Tail end has to come up and as it comes up I suspect that it will line up. My question is do I also need to consider putting in some engine mount spacers. There are none in place now. I have some so I could put them in, but if there is no need...........

Anyhow your thoughts, as always, greatly appreciated, Tinkerman

Attachments

• 14780.jpg
    14780.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 199
  • 14781.jpg
    14781.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 198
Country flag
Tinkerman,

There is a different trans mount on TRs for overdrives, especially for the late TR6 Jtype. You may can use one of them. Also you can just move the solid trans mount back on the frame. Is that a TR3 or early TR4 frame. It didn't look like there was extra mounting holes like in the TR6. I have swapped trannnies in and out of all TR3/6's and have to move the trans mounts back and forth. PM or call and maybe I can help.

Marv

256-757-8697

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
We assume that the bellhousing is tight to the rear face of the block and that the bolts are tight.

If the overdrive is not the original one that was there before, and if the gearbox is from a TR4 or later with a thick flange all around the bellhousing, then the rear end will not line up with the holes in the mount. I seem to remember it is out by about 3/8". Part of this stems from the thicker flange around the bellhousing. See photo.

On my 1958 TR3A, the overdrive and gearbox are the original ones and the car had them from new. Everything lines up nicely once all the bolts around the bellhousing are secure to the engine block.

Attachments

• 14782.jpg
    14782.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 177
OP
Tinkerman

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Your right Don, the holes are offset by about 3/8". Bet I can adjust those holes that much wiyhout adverse affect.

Tinkerman

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Wait a bit. Maybe someone else who has done this will give you the right way. I remember that it was quite simple, but I can't remember the details. I think it related to slotting the bolt holes so that each hole was only slotted about 1/8" each. This way, you would get the 3/8" when you total all the slots together.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Dick-

Teri Ann Wakeman has a small writeup of what to deal with when putting a later TR4+ trans into a TR3 frame: Trans swap

Some adjustments to the cross-member are needed apparently.

Don't see all the parts in your pictures, but I assume you have both the rear transmission mount and frame cross-member to put in yet?

Randy

OP
Tinkerman

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Perfect Randy, that's just what Don was talking about. I have in fact the cross member set up to be elongated 1/4" and was just looking for small abrasive grinders I know I have in the shop. May have to wait until tomorrow and pick some up at the hardware store. The holes in the crossmember will get 1/8" which will, in total, pick up the 3/8" I need.

Yes I have those parts awaiting the mount fix.

Thank, Tinkerman

Twosheds

Darth Vader
Isn't there an engine mount that goes between the tranny and the frame?

I don't see it in your photo.

Or is that only for the non-overdrive trannies?

#80 in the Moss external gearbox plate.

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Twosheds,

Was thinking the same thing. On mine, with the overdrive, there is a mounting plate with rubber buffers.....

I think that I am reading above that he has these items, not shown in the photo....could be wrong though

Cheers,
M. Pied Lourd

OP
Tinkerman

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Your both right, it is, in fact the reason for the post. I have the mount and the crossmember that the mount bolts to. I just didn't have those items in the picture. There is a 3/8" difference in the rear mount and the bolting point on the O/D. Through the forun (YEA) I have learned that this is a standard problem when one is using a TR4 syncro tranny in a TR3. It is a problem that is a fairly easy fix. Ya gotta love the forum!

Cheers, Tinkerman

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
And while it is possible to stretch the mounts enough to match up without 'moving' the holes; it results in very short mount life. BTDT some 35 years ago; just before I learned in similar fashion that TR3 halfshafts don't fit TR4 axles.