• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BN1 Engine Mount rubber parts

RCarr

Silver
Country flag
Hello all. I'm working to get my engine back into (what will soon be) a rolling chassis. It's an early BN1 and the rubber parts available at Moss are disappointing. From what I see in other posts I already don't expect them to last very long, but the fit and function are my current concern. The small rubber part, called "Buffer" is smaller than the original part in width and thickness. I will have to build a 1/8" shim to put it close to where the original part was. Shims were used originally, but for only for adjustments of less than .050", not .125". So the question is, what is the correct distance between the buffer and the lower metal part of the mount. You can easily see the difference between the original part and the Moss part in the photo. I don't expect to find a supplier of early BN1 rubber parts so I want to manufacture the right size shim in order to get this engine mount to perform properly without tearing the larger rubber part (which I also had to modify to fit :apologetic:. Thanks for any insight into this engine mount and how critical the clearances are between the buffer and the lower mount bracket.

Attachments

• BN1enginemount.jpg
    BN1enginemount.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 108
  • BN1enginemount2.jpg
    BN1enginemount2.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 120
Country flag
Just had the same problem when installing my rebuilt BJ8 engine--AFAIK, all Big Healeys use the same mounts--and again when I installed my BN2's engine a few years ago (yeah, the new mounts from Moss are junk). The problem, as I see it, is that the large gap between the top 'buffer' and the main mount allows the main mount to sag, and this can cause it to tear away from its metal backplate, causing the mount to all but fail prematurely. I used a stack of fender washers with slots cut in them--2 on one side, 3 on the other--to offset the buffers closer to the main mounts, and I hope this helps. Since you haven't installed your engine yet, you might call some other suppliers and see if they have better mounts (and let Moss know they have a bad product).

OP
RCarr

RCarr

Silver
Country flag
Thanks Bob. I was also afraid of the main mount failing because of the gap. I'll devise a shim as you did and work out a 1/16" clearance. That's what the originals seemed to have. I already talked to a Moss rep over the phone but I'll probably follow up with email and photos. I added photos of the mounts before I tore them down for anyone out there who is interested in seeing the difference between the original configuration and the Moss mounts. Again, based on other comments, I don't think there's multiple manufacturers of these mounts and buffers so we're stuck with shimming them or modifying to fit.

Attachments

• original mount rubbers1.jpg
    original mount rubbers1.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 102
  • original mount rubbers2.jpg
    original mount rubbers2.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 97
  • original mount rubbers3.jpg
    original mount rubbers3.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
OP
RCarr

RCarr

Silver
Country flag
Your original mounts don't look too bad, aside from some surface cracking. I'd be tempted to re-use them.

Yeah, I kicked that idea around with a couple friends before buying the new parts, maybe now I'll lean back toward using the old buffers, they're still pretty soft except around the edges. One of the old mounts is as hard as a rock, the other I can still stick a fingernail into so I'll probably go with the new parts for those. Again, thanks for providing your own personal experience and opinion.