• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Electrical system fun!

clyderedmond

Years ago I built an MG-TD kit car on a VW frame. The assembly was fairly easy, but the electrical system was just too much. I got her running and went to an auto-electric company for finishing. I am simply not skilled with a wiring harness and my current MGB has just developed an illness which I would like some opinions on before I get to work on it or turn her over to the shop. Yesterday while crusing along I noticed that the directional signals had stopped working. They do not light or flash. This was fairly sudden since they had worked at a turn 2 miles previous. I then noticed that the tachometer, the heat guage and fuel guage had pooped out as well. I had problems with the fuel guage about a month back which I "cured" by cleaning and greasing the contact at the sending unit. I tried this again but no joy. I checked the hazard flash and the bulbs function properly so I know they are OK. Headlights are OK as well. I am thinking to start by checking the fuses and then on to the mare's nest of wires that reside under the dash. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Mike

I would check the green wires at the fuse box. If it was just the signals then go to the emergency flasher switch. But you seem to have a green circuit problem. Happy hunting, Bob

Thanks for the help Bob. 10 minutes, an emery file, dielectric grease & VOILA!
Everything working great again. Thanks again. You have saved me from much aggravation and more than a few dollars at the shop.
Cheers,
Mike

Mike, Are you going to the show in Columbia SC this sunday? Lynda and i are planning to show up and look around. We are going to take Lynda's 63 iris blue MGB. We are planning a trip to western Mass. in 2 weeks and need to give it a shake down run. bob

Bob,
No I won't be there. I am always a bit wary about running "Ms. B" too far afield. I am sure she would do well, but for now I'm content to stay local. Then there is the issue of Church, since I am a Catholic Deacon I have to assist at morning Mass. I would not be able be there much before 3:00 PM in any case. If you and the wife decide to come play tourist in Charleston, please let me know. If you do Sherrie and I would love to show you around.
Cheers,
Mike

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
CARSINC Sprite Electrical System Information Spridgets 2
C Ghost in the electrical system Austin Healey 51
R TR2/3/3A Early TR3 electrical system Triumph 12
6 Electrical System Issue- Thougths Please Spridgets 6
Lbp TR2/3/3A What Might Cause The Entire Electrical System on my TR3A to Die? Triumph 19
coj Electrical system - turn signals - green light Austin Healey 1
Sarastro Not your grandmother's Bugeye electrical system Spridgets 8
kyreb1862 Electrical System Problem Need Help ASAP MG 7
T TR6 Fry a TR6 electrical system in these easy steps Triumph 16
A Electrical System Triumph 1
C TR2/3/3A TR3A Electrical problem Triumph 20
K TR2/3/3A Turn signal flasher issue.....electrical is not my strong point. Triumph 13
R Electrical Experts - Vixen 2500 - Ignition Switch Observation? TVR 10
N MGB Electrical Part Identification MG 3
KVH General Tech Yes, the Horns Again--Electrical TR4A Triumph 8
SNClocks Electrical Wire Lug Spridgets 2
K TR2/3/3A Another electrical problem: Park light & 5ignal light on Drivers side are brighter than....... Triumph 3
F General TR Electrical parts Triumph 6
S TR2/3/3A Electrical Triumph 31
lram59 General Tech Electrical terminals Triumph 8
6 Electrical Help Please Spridgets 7
B Bugeye Electrical Diagram with additions Spridgets 6
B Austin-Healey late 3000 BJ8 Electrical Diagram Austin Healey 1
B Austin-Healey early 3000 BJ8 Electrical Diagram Austin Healey 0
B Austin-Healey 100-6/3000 Electrical Drawing Austin Healey 2
B Austin-Healey 100 BN2 Electrical Diagram Austin Healey 0
B Austin-Healey 100 BN1 Electrical Diagram Austin Healey 0
KVH General Tech O/D Electrical Wire Burned Triumph 22
J TR4/4A Getting electrical shock from horn button when using the horn. Triumph 9
E GT6 Help electrical guru needed Triumph 4
B Bugeye Electrical Diagram Spridgets 0
Got_All_4 TR5/TR250 Wiring/Electrical Mystery Worked Perfect Then Not Triumph 5
D TR2/3/3A TR3A electrical issues Triumph 2
B Bugeye Electrical Wiring Diagram in Logic Format Spridgets 17
dbenichou289 TR2/3/3A Heater electrical connections Triumph 4
Simmo General Tech Electrical question Triumph 4
B BJ8 Phase 1 Electrical Diagram Austin Healey 21
T TR6 72 TR6 electrical snafu Triumph 4
P TR6 Electrical Problem Triumph 26
M Difficult Electrical Problem in 59 BE with Generator Spridgets 6
N Electrical Issues Need Help Austin Healey 8
H Re: electrical short wiring damage Spridgets 11
I Bugeye electrical questions Spridgets 17
N Electrical Troubleshooting Advice Needed Spridgets 6
steveg Electrical sleeving Austin Healey 11
N TR6 Electrical Issues Triumph 5
N Electrical issue. FORUM Navigation Questions 2
S TR2/3/3A Electrical Issue Triumph 40
KVH General TR Steering Shaft/Column Short Circuit?--Electrical Issue with Light Switch Triumph 3
6inline Electrical gremlins giving me fits Austin Healey 18