• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Electrical Issue

gsm187

Freshman Member
Once again, I need your help. I discovered an issue with the electrical system this spring when waking my 80B up from its winter nap. I finally have been able to put the time in to try and fix it, but haven't had much success. The issue is the loss of wipers, turn signals, gas gauge, tach, and temp gauge. Everything I've read has pointed me to the fusebox and the 3rd fuse. I've cleaned up the fusebox and changed out the fuses, but nothing. When I switched the brown wire from the 4th fuse to the 3rd just to see, all electrics worked (but remained on regardless of the ignition (key) position.) I think I traced the white-brown wire from the 3rd fuse to the starter relay (?). I disconnected the wires and cleaned up the connections. Upon starting, gauges worked, but when I turned on the turn signal tach/gauges stopped working again. Disconnecting/reconnecting white brown from starter relay(?) got them back only to be lost again. What's next??? Anyone out there have this issue before, or have an idea I can try? Thanks! Gary

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Start with the battery condition and connections. Make SURE the terminals are clean and the same with the other end of the ground wire: Physically disconnect it from the body, clean it and the place it contacts the chassis well.

Bret

Yoda
I'd do some debugging with a multimeter & the appropriate schematic and verify that voltages are present on both sides of the fuse block. I had one go bad on me once – voltage was making it to the quick disconnects but I couldn’t measure any voltage getting to the fuse itself.

If there isn’t any voltage present – use the schematic to see where it is coming from. You could have a faulty relay, an old deteriorated and/or high resistance wire, a loose or corroded connection, a bad crimp or even the ignition switch itself.

Whatever the case using a schematic you should be able discern where in the circuitry your loosing the voltage. I mean if you know you have 12v at the battery but none at the fuse you should be able to split the circuit in two and follow the electrons or lack there of.

Good luck!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Another thing I've found that helps is to remove the fuse block from the car & clean the bolt where its attached to the inner fender.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
K TR2/3/3A Turn signal flasher issue.....electrical is not my strong point. Triumph 13
N Electrical issue. FORUM Navigation Questions 2
S TR2/3/3A Electrical Issue Triumph 40
KVH General TR Steering Shaft/Column Short Circuit?--Electrical Issue with Light Switch Triumph 3
jmayzer electrical issue!!! who's surprised? Spridgets 7
busybrit Electrical tach issue on Aston Martin DB5 Other British Cars 2
Gordon_Dedrick TR2/3/3A 59 TR3A Intermittant electrical issue, Triumph 5
J MGB Electrical issue- turn signals dim and cause the brake warning light to flash MG 8
K Need some help, electrical issue Austin Healey 45
6 Electrical System Issue- Thougths Please Spridgets 6
B Stumped on Electrical Issue Restoration & Tools 6
BillyB62 TR2/3/3A TR3 Electrical issue - anything obvious? Triumph 11
R Electrical issue MG 14
bugedd Electrical Issue Spridgets 5
bugedd Electrical issue, with dancing fuel gauge! Spridgets 11
prb51 TR2/3/3A TR3 Electrical issue flasher unit Triumph 3
B TR6 Need guidance on TR6 electrical issue Triumph 7
Lin Electrical Issue - Need help Austin Healey 8
RSMTR8 Wedge TR8 Electrical Issue Triumph 14
CARSINC Sprite Electrical System Information Spridgets 2
R Electrical Experts - Vixen 2500 - Ignition Switch Observation? TVR 10
N MGB Electrical Part Identification MG 3
KVH General Tech Yes, the Horns Again--Electrical TR4A Triumph 8
SNClocks Electrical Wire Lug Spridgets 2
K TR2/3/3A Another electrical problem: Park light & 5ignal light on Drivers side are brighter than....... Triumph 3
F General TR Electrical parts Triumph 6
S TR2/3/3A Electrical Triumph 31
lram59 General Tech Electrical terminals Triumph 8
6 Electrical Help Please Spridgets 7
B Bugeye Electrical Diagram with additions Spridgets 6
B Austin-Healey late 3000 BJ8 Electrical Diagram Austin Healey 1
B Austin-Healey early 3000 BJ8 Electrical Diagram Austin Healey 0
B Austin-Healey 100-6/3000 Electrical Drawing Austin Healey 2
B Austin-Healey 100 BN2 Electrical Diagram Austin Healey 0
B Austin-Healey 100 BN1 Electrical Diagram Austin Healey 0
KVH General Tech O/D Electrical Wire Burned Triumph 22
J TR4/4A Getting electrical shock from horn button when using the horn. Triumph 9
E GT6 Help electrical guru needed Triumph 4
B Bugeye Electrical Diagram Spridgets 0
Got_All_4 TR5/TR250 Wiring/Electrical Mystery Worked Perfect Then Not Triumph 5
D TR2/3/3A TR3A electrical issues Triumph 2
B Bugeye Electrical Wiring Diagram in Logic Format Spridgets 17
dbenichou289 TR2/3/3A Heater electrical connections Triumph 4
Simmo General Tech Electrical question Triumph 4
B BJ8 Phase 1 Electrical Diagram Austin Healey 21
T TR6 72 TR6 electrical snafu Triumph 4
P TR6 Electrical Problem Triumph 26
M Difficult Electrical Problem in 59 BE with Generator Spridgets 6
N Electrical Issues Need Help Austin Healey 8