• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Dynamic Ignition timing BN1

Blowfly

Freshman Member
As a newcomer to this site and a relatively inexperienced Healey owner (admired them for many years but had to wait for a mid life crisis to make the purchase!) I'm looking for advice on dynamic timing an A90 unit. I guess I can crudely mark up the front pulley and timing chain cover. Clearly there is no easy access to the flywheel. How do the "experienced" do it?

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
You can find TDC with a dial indicator in the #1 plug hole & make corresponding permanent notches in the front pulley & timing cover. A more accurate method of finding TDC involves a positive piston stop in the plug hole, a degree wheel on the front pulley, & some calculating to find the actual TDC location.

With TDC marked you can use an adjustable advance timing light to set the timing. Or, you could put additional marks on the pulley & use a non adjustable timing light. The additional marks would be close to .232 inches apart for each additional 5 degrees.

I epoxied a small pointer to the timing cover to line up with the TDC mark on the pulley. Locate the marks so that they can be seen from the top side. Around, between, the fan belt, generator & other obstacles.

BN2 timing covers had a rather poorly defined embossed arrow on the timing cover & a very small dimple on the back inside edge of the pulley to mark TDC.

My factory manual just said to set timing so that the engine didn't ping under load. Better than nothing, I guess.You should probably end up with about 36 to 38 degrees advance at 4,000 rpm, with vacuum advance disconnected.
D

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
I never gave it much thought ā€˜cause I converted my car to neg. ground, but isnā€™t there a risk of getting shocked using a ā€œnormalā€ timing light with a metal case on a positive ground car? Hooo, that was a long sentence.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Greg,NO!---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif

zblu

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Well, you could pull the plugs, attach a 12v bulb to no 1 lead and and earth and hand turn to see where lite comes on and then see where timing marks on pulley are in relation to the second mark

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
[ QUOTE ]
I never gave it much thought ā€˜cause I converted my car to neg. ground, but isnā€™t there a risk of getting shocked using a ā€œnormalā€ timing light with a metal case on a positive ground car? Hooo, that was a long sentence.

[/ QUOTE ]
Short long answer, yes, if you have an old metal cased light. You won't get shocked much but there will be sparks between the light case & any bare metal ground. I just used a fender cover & pay attention to where the light is touching. With a plastic case, no problem.
D