• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Carpet set

Bobbydsport

I'm getting ready for a winter shutdown of my '67 BJ8 to install a new interior. Have heard good & bad things about different suppliers wares. I'm looking to do the carpet first & wondered who has the best fitting carpet set for my car. I'll be doing the Dyna-mat or some other type of insulation install under the new carpet, if that makes any difference.Appreciate any & all input, thanks.

Bobbyd

rjc157

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Are you doing panels also. Is price an issue if so VB uses Ah-Spares and would be the cheapest Moss makes their own

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey Bobbyd,
In addition to AH Spares in UK contact John Skinner Ltd, also in UK. Their website is: www.John-skinner.co.uk I have used both AH and Skinner and both make great products. Skinner will give you options of wool, think a wool blend, and more modern carpet fabrics. Might even be able to get Karvel but do not recall if that was original on a BJ8 and tough to work with to avoid wrinkles. If you are doing door cards Skinner's are the best I have seen, the complete interior for my 100M is from Skinner. No association with either of the above, just a happy user of their products.
Regards,
Mike

HEALEYJAG

Jedi Warrior
Get samples of the various carpets from the different vendors, The quality varies GREATLY.........Actually threw away a new carpet set that came with a car I bought because it was so cheap..think it was from VB..........

Pete

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Thanks guy, great info.This forum is the best.Everyone take care & stay safe.

Bobbyd
Carpet kits can be challenging to get them correctly installed so be prepared to do some research before installing especially if you're installing a new interior. Installing a new interior is a lesson that you do not want to make mistakes fitting the panels, etc., or you'll be buying new panels or end up with a "less than satisfied" result. My BJ8 was quite challenging to say the least but I had help from a guy that restores Healey's (from another state), and we exchanged numerous emails with photos. Take lots of photos during the "tear out"...you'll be glad you did. I was going to install everything and had a good idea of where to start first and was I ever wrong and ended up doing it another way very much different from my original plan. I also purchased a set of special upholstery scissors at a cost of about $50. Marking chalk for marking carpet is also essential. Lots of razor blades. Contact adhesive too. I purchased a complete interior from Heritage and I still had a lot of work to do to get it installed correctly. I learned a lot and have a healthy respect for Upholstery guys.

OP
B

Bobbydsport

Thanks Patrick & I too have a healthy respect for upholstery guys. My saving grace is that I'm retired & I can walk away from it for awhile if the stress gets to be to much.:smile-new:

Bobbyd