• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BT7 rear seat fasteners and install

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Ok wise ones, I know what to do, but would appreciate any tips on how to do it (no jokes please!).

A previous owner had installed VERY large fasteners(screws) through the rear jump seats into the car structure to secure the seats. So when I had the car in the body shop I had the screw holes in the frame and in the seats filled, so that ultimately I could go back to the proper #6 screws. I now have beautiful leather rear seats done by Heritage to be installed and I am scared to death of drilling holes through the leather and the metal seat into the frame. I just know that I will mess up the leather.Soooo, any suggestions on how to approach this?

Lin
1960 BT7 in restoration
1959 Bugeye

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi Lin, one approach that might be a bit costly is to use BJ8 seat pans. Another approach is to Glue your seat pans to the structure using a builders product called "Liquid Nails". They can be removed later if you do not slather the stuff on. Maybe three spots along the back and one on each side at the front. That's the best I can do for you partner.--Fwiw--Keoke

P.S.I wouln't put those ugly screws in there either-- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

OH! you can get a small 4 OZ tube of this for small projects like yours at most hardware stores

OP
Lin

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Yes, Keoke, I really don't care about putting the screws back in. I think they are unattractive also. I had thought about industrial strength (yes they have it) velcro, but I don't think that would hold the seats down well enough to keep out moisture and fumes. Anyone else have any thoughts?
Lin

John Loftus

Darth Vader
I would cover the leather in the approx. hole area with some blue tape. Then measure and mark the tape exactly where you want the holes to go. Triple check that this will overlap the seat pan flange on the body .. I can give you some dimensions from my car if you need.

Then I would take a small hole punch (the type that have a hollow tube end that is sharp). Punch the top surface leather .. probably a 1/8" hole would be fine for a #6. Center punch the exposed seat pan. Drill a small hole in the seat pan and step up to the final size in steps. Just be careful to control the depth so you don't grab the leather underneath. Then poke an awl through the bottom leather to mark it and use the leather punch to finish the bottom hole.

Once the seats have been punched and drilled it should be easy to mark the body flanges, drill the holes and screw it together.

Cheers,
John

p.s. you could take it to a good professional installer and have him do it. I would go with the screws. It's nice to be able to easily go in at this point to check rear shock bolts, fuel pump, etc.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Believe me Lin, if you weight the seat down while the adhesive ,Liquid Nails, dries it will stay just where you put it.---Keoke- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/yesnod.gif

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Keoke said:
Another approach is to Glue your seat pans to the structure using a builders product called "Liquid Nails".

DPO alert! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wall.gif

sorry, couldn't resist /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

lin, id go with the srews, youd be very surprised at how noisy itll be if the seats are not tightened down, if you dont have hole punchers you could just heat up an awl and burn the holes through the leather ya i know it sounds scary but believe me it works. as far as "keokes" glue method i know for a fact he really used "duct tape " and paper clips on his own seats. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Lin said:
Yes, Keoke, I really don't care about putting the screws back in. I think they are unattractive also. I had thought about industrial strength (yes they have it) velcro, but I don't think that would hold the seats down well enough to keep out moisture and fumes. Anyone else have any thoughts?
Lin

OK Lin, Here you go. All parts are available from MacMaster car.

Get as many threaded inserts as you need oh say 10 X 32 or 1/4 X 28 , the matching SS screws and some neoprene faced SS conical washers that will fit snugly over the insert body underneath. You will need a drill stop to insure you do not mess up the covers. This can be a properly sized collar with a set screw in it secured to the drill bit. Drill the required location holes in the seat pan bottom and install the inserts and secure them . Drill matching holes in the structure and set the pan in place . Cover the protruding insert body underneath with the neoprene faced conical washers and install the seat fixing screws. Note the inserts are set using the fixing screws,just make sure they do not go beyond the end of the insert inside the covers. This protrusion will be on the order of 1/8". I think steel inserts would be best here but Ali will probably work. This method mirrors the technique used to install the lift a dot studs in the shrouds. NO!! ugly screws in the leathers.---Keoke-- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif