• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

body-rear

Country flag
Sorry for this rather dumb question. A few months ago I got stuck in deep gravel and the weight of the car was pushing on the rear license plate. My question is, is there suppose to be an indention where the frame mounts to the body? It looks perfectly pushed in but I don't remember it being so. This is a BJ8 phase I with the plate attached to the body and not the bumper. (You should have seen the circus helping me get out of the gravel) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif TH;
Wait till you see the circus taking that dent out of the healey's but.--Keoke :angel
Not difficult to do TH its in the AL shroud and easily accessible from inside and outside.

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Well guys, you have been answering my questions the last couple days, thank you. Maybe, I can offer some help here, if indeed you do have a dent, and you want it removed. I do PDR, paintless dent removal for a living.(it's like a circus, people watching me, when I work on someones car) To learn more about it, vist my web site, as I explain this type of service. www.dentfree.us Look in the yellow pages to find a dent guy near you. Sorry, I'm not in your area.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
TH you have a dent, but if it looks like a recess to allow the plate to set level- just leave it alone.---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

John Loftus

Darth Vader
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, but do I really have a dent or a recess to allow the plate to sit horizontal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi TH,
The front and rear shroud aluminum is relatively soft and is easy to dent. As Keoke says, there is no recess for the plate, the shape of the rear shroud near the plate mounting is a smooth convex shape. I would pull the license plate and bracket to look closely at the damage. The license plate light and wiring should be carefully examined too. You don't want to short the wiring, especially since it is not fused from the factory. I too, would probably just leave the dent for now since it is in an area that is not easily seen and save any repair for the next paint job.

Cheers,
John

Randy Harris

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
Well guys, you have been answering my questions the last couple days, thank you. Maybe, I can offer some help here, if indeed you do have a dent, and you want it removed. I do PDR, paintless dent removal for a living.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Roger - good to see you've landed here. This is just an "amen" for PDR and a plug for my bud, Roger. A few months ago I assigned him the (previously thought to be impossible) task of removing more than 40 (not a typo) door and body dings on my '68 E-Type. He removed virtually every single one. Now it looks looks like a completely different car at a fraction of the cost of a body shop. It looks so good I've put off the repaint indefinitely. The key is the right technician with the skills and the right can-do attitude. Sorry, can't help you with the ding on your Healey's butt. Maybe a ding remover can though.
Great to see you here Roger. Let's hit the road with our cars soon!!

Randy '66 BJ8, '68 E-Type OTS

OP
tahoe healey
Country flag
I was thinking of making a jig with bolts going through the frame mounting holes and slowly tighten to pull form the inside-out. Any thoughts?
Unless AUMSHLY wants to do it in MY driveway. I'd even remove the snow. Hey, do you ski? We do come down to for Golden Gate Healey events and rides. May be we'll talk.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I was thinking of making a jig with bolts going through the frame mounting holes and slowly tighten to pull form the inside-out. Any thoughts?
Unless AUMSHLY wants to do it in MY driveway. I'd even remove the snow. Hey, do you ski? We do come down to for Golden Gate Healey events and rides. May be we'll talk.

[/ QUOTE ] Yep TH, either go to GG Events and talk to Randy or LEAVE it ALONE! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
I've had some pretty good luck using a suction cup dent puller on sheet metal. Loosen body from frame, attach suction cup (one made for bodywork) and pull like H***. Might just work and won't damage body. May have to try in several places to get it to POP back out.