• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ8 gear shift consol restoration...

wangdango

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I have just started the restoration of the gear shift console. My plan is to revert back to the blanking plate rather then having a radio. In taking it apart, after removing the vinyl, there is 1/8 padding on the sides and just a small amount where the speaker cover goes. Question is, should the other parts also be covered in 1/8 vinyl? Any tips, tricks or prior experiences would be of great help.
Thanks
Ed

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
ED:
If my memory serves me right that entire console is covered except the aperture for the radio.?

Country flag
I have just started the restoration of the gear shift console. My plan is to revert back to the blanking plate rather then having a radio. In taking it apart, after removing the vinyl, there is 1/8 padding on the sides and just a small amount where the speaker cover goes. Question is, should the other parts also be covered in 1/8 vinyl? Any tips, tricks or prior experiences would be of great help.
Thanks
Ed

If I'm interpreting this correctly, you're asking which parts of the console are padded? I have an--AFAIK--BJ8 with unmolested upholstery, and all sides of the console are padded except the area around the radio--I have one--and the flat area on top around the shift lever; i.e. the sides of the console are padded, the top is not. The top of the arm rest is padded, of course, more-so than the sides of the console, but the sides of the armrest are just vinyl over hard surfaces.

Let us know how you handle the metal trim pieces; my vinyl parts are pulling out from the metal trim strips, which appear to be crimped. I can't see an easy way to stuff the vinyl back into them.

RAC68

Darth Vader
Bob,

the trim pieces on each side of the console are kept in place with a number of clips which are passed through small holes and bent sideways under the console. The clips are held in the bottom rolled edges of the trim strips and allow them to slide within the trim and be positioned to the holes. The problem you are describing is not uncommon and the vinyl will shrink and pull from funder the trim strips by the heat of the transmission or just the sun over time. To correct the problem, you will have to acquire a matching piece of new vinyl and remove the console to glue the new piece in place. As I understand, the vinyl on the platform is glued directly with no padding until around the speaker area.

When redoing my interior, it took me over a year to find a perfect match to the grain that was in the original vinyl .... and I was looking for black. It turned out to be a vinyl that was also used on vintage fords but no longer available. Good luck on the search for a vinyl match, the fix is the easy part.

Ray(64BJ8P1)

Country flag
Thanks, Ray. It never occurred to me to look under the console! Sounds like the arrangement is roughly similar to how the fender beads are attached.

I seem to recall--vaguely--that the vinyl is called 'amblin' or something similar. My upholsterer had some sample pics that looked pretty close; I'll see what he can do.

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks, Ray. It never occurred to me to look under the console! Sounds like the arrangement is roughly similar to how the fender beads are attached.

I seem to recall--vaguely--that the vinyl is called 'amblin' or something similar. My upholsterer had some sample pics that looked pretty close; I'll see what he can do.

The word is Ambla.

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Steve,

I too was searching for the wrong word and have been looking for quite a while. Is the Ambla vinyl the special vinyl on the cushions and face of the seat backs of the BJ8? My seats faces are in quite good condition for being used and 54 years old, however, I did reconstruct the seats by cutting out the seat faces and re-sewed new back vinyl onto the original fronts.

As a side note and to show you that you can always learn: For the last 30 or more years I have had my seat adjusters on the outside close to the sills and never realized they were wrong. Helping a friend, new to Healeys but very familiar with TR3s, I suggested he drive my car to get some feel for the performance of his Healey. At the end of the day, he asked why I had the adjuster on the outside as his BJ8 had the mechanism under the seat. Not realizing his point, I indicated I think it was that way when new. No he said with a smile.

That night I researched the adjuster's location and found I had had it wrong ever since I could remember and no one picked it up...including me. Well, I exchanged the 2 adjusters (took me a day due to the exhaust system) and now all is correct. Unless you know something more?

Ray(64BJ8P1)

Last edited:

Top Down Resto

Country flag
010.jpg007.jpg011.jpgHere is the correct way to install the foam. Modern vinyls are a bit more difficult to install and do not have the original stretch like the Ambla, but can be done to look correct.

Carroll