• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ8 FRONT SHOCKS

BOBBYR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi Gang,
I hope everyone is doing fine. I was wondering if any of you have rebuilt the front shocks on your BJ8? I surfed the net, looking for rebuild kits and maybe an article or two, but didn't find anything. Any help with this is appreciated.Thanks again.
Bobby R

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
There are several threads on this site that have dealt with this. I've gone as far as obtaining some garlock type seals that require only slight machining of the housing and would fit both sides of the shaft with the intent of at least being able to reseal them. After disassembling a spare unit, I've come to the conclusion that for the price (around 100 bucks exchange), you cannot beat World Wide Auto Parts(google NOS Imports)for a guaranteed rebuilt unit that has upgraded seals etc. It was fun, but not that much fun. There appear to be absolutely no parts for these units except the valve mechanism) through any of the usual and not so ususal vendors. They were made to be throw away items as far as I can tell.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi Bobby, Search White Post Restorations . They are in White Post VA and do excellent work. ---Fwiw--Keoke

John_Progess

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
It is not that difficult to replace the seals with modern double lip seals. There are two different sizes as the shaft is stepped down. You need to mark the internal cam that the two piston rods attach to so that when you reassemble the shock has the same range of motion. When I did my BJ8, the seals were different sizes between the two shocks so you will have to dissassemble the shocks before purchasing new seals. They were all .250" wide but different OD and ID. If the shaft is scored you will also have to purchase speedy sleeves to install under the seals in which case it will be cheaper to have them rebuilt. Hope this helps and have a good day!

John

OP
BOBBYR

BOBBYR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi Guys,
Thanks for getting back to me on this. I have seen some sights that have some pretty good prices on these units so I am thinking of buying them. The two in the rear are fine, but the right front is pretty well shot. I guess I'll buy two for the front right now. That should get the control back into the old girl. Thanks again for your response.
Bobby R

fwtexasbj8

Country flag
Bobby,
I am going to replace mine in the next month or so. Care to share where you have found the best prices?

OP
BOBBYR

BOBBYR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi Doug,
Google (NOS auto parts) and check out their prices.I have priced out front shocks for over two hundred each.This company is around ninety each plus a core charge.If these shocks are as good as they say,that's a really good deal.Good luck.
Bobby R

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Peter at World Wide Auto Parts is your answer. I have had two sets of shocks rebuilt by Peter's company, and will send him my Bugeye shocks before long. Great quality, great price, great person to work with who knows his shocks and knows Healeys.

Lin

fwtexasbj8

Country flag
Thanks,
I had found them for $90 each. Just wanted to be sure someone hadn't found a better price.

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Lin said:
Peter at World Wide Auto Parts is your answer. I have had two sets of shocks rebuilt by Peter's company, and will send him my Bugeye shocks before long. Great quality, great price, great person to work with who knows his shocks and knows Healeys.

Lin

FWIW guys, I'd go with a recommendation from one of the guys here, about the sellers knowledge and quality. I would not shop around for the cheapest/best price. I would pay a premium for the good stuff.

If one of the guys here has his product and recommends him, I would not think twice about his price.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Cheers,
Roger

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
BOBBYR said:
Hi Doug,
Google (NOS auto parts) and check out their prices.I have priced out front shocks for over two hundred each.This company is around ninety each plus a core charge.If these shocks are as good as they say,that's a really good deal.Good luck.
----Yep N you will need it . Didn't your security system give you an alert! when you hit the page?? A word to the wise is sufficient and you have had plenty of good words.--- :hammer:-Keoke
Bobby R