• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ8 left front directional problem

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
The Prince of Darkness is focusing on the drivers front turn signal.

I've had this situation for a while and I just can't figure out how to solve it. I'd like to get this fixed for it's a safety issue, letting others knowing I am making a turn.

All four directionals work. However if I sit at a stop light for an extended period of time, 2-3 minutes, the left front directional will top blinking (the bulb stops lighting up), the two directional indicators on the dash will then both blink and the sound of the flasher unit goes from the clicking to a sort of buzzing/clicking noise. The flasher unit canister seems to get warmer too.

1. Stock bulbs in all four directionals.

2. The back reflectors have been modified to accept a 10w bulb, which is spliced into the rear lights. I've unplugged those and tested without them in the path, and it makes no difference. Still have the problem, with or without them in path.

3. I've checked the grounds at each light.

4. The front left directional unit is new. I've opened it up and tested it, it works fine.

5. I've tested two Flasher Relays and feel they're ok. I tried the upgraded repro model Moss sells and I currently have the points version, and have cleaned the points.

6. I have a new mechanical Flasher unit. I've tried the EL 13 electronic flasher unit and it does not make a difference.

7. I've checked all the bullet connections inline per the wiring diagram to make sure they have a tight fit.

8. I sent the trafficator out to get rebuilt. It has new parts in it and works perfectly.

9. I made sure non of the wires in the trafficator head are touching each other.

10. Break lights works in all conditions.

11. When the left front parking light is on, it will stop working also when the left front directional stop working.

12. Once I start driving, 5 seconds, the left front directional works fine.

Could I have a short somewhere in one of the wires going down the trafficator tube? I would think if so, it would have blown a fuse?
I'm not blowing any fuses.

I can leave the right directional on all day. The left directional will start having problems after about 2-3 minutes and it affects only the front left turn signal. It will stop working, but the left rear (directional and the modified reflector bulb) will continue to work.

My guess is something is heating up, overloading somewhere. The Flasher unit gets warm and starts to make a sound different from the normal clicking. I've tried a couple more mechanical units and the electronic unit, but it makes no difference, they all start acting up after a couple minutes. Seems something in line is causing a problem and the end user is the Flasher unit? Or maybe the Flasher Relay?

It would be nice to find a KISS trouble shoot.
I look forward to your suggestions.

Cheers,
Roger

Country flag
Sounds like something is causing too much current draw through the flasher unit; i.e. something that is supposed to provide X ohms of resistance is only providing Y ohms. Just a hunch, but since you've checked everything else I'd take a harder look at the trafficator. I know 'It has new parts in it and works perfectly,' but the internals to these things are terribly finicky--I wouldn't be surprised if there's a partial short to ground somewhere inside. I'd have to look at a schematic to figure out if/how you can do this, but maybe you can disconnect the trafficator harness wires at the steering box and try making the turn signal connections with jumpers and see if anything changes.

Country flag
Oh, I see you have a car with the combined running/turn signals; that means you have the brake/turn signal control box. Could be another possibility.

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Roger,

As I remember, you have a BJ8P1 with a relay box. First examine terminal 2 on the box to see if the connection is solid and clean. If all is well, I would bet that the contact inside has deteriorated and should be dressed.

Brake%u00252520Switch%2520Light%2520Relays.jpg
Ignore the relays in the diagram as they are something I may be considering.

I don’t think it is your flasher as your other signals are working and I do think it is a dirty contact in the box because it deteriorates after resistance builds as it heats.

Good luck,
Ray (64BJ8P1)

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
This may sound over simplified....But could it be your left front bulb is not insulated from the bulb holder housing? This happened to me on my old Harley shovel head.....it was a matter of placing a little fiber washer between the bulb face and housing....so that only the contacts on the bulb are touching only the contacts of the inner housing. The factory used grease as a insulator....lol. In any case, it would be a simple thing to check before beating your brains out over this problem. Michael.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
The Prince of Darkness is focusing on the drivers front turn signal.

I've had this situation for a while and I just can't figure out how to solve it. I'd like to get this fixed for it's a safety issue, letting others knowing I am making a turn.

All four directionals work. However if I sit at a stop light for an extended period of time, 2-3 minutes, the left front directional will top blinking (the bulb stops lighting up), the two directional indicators on the dash will then both blink and the sound of the flasher unit goes from the clicking to a sort of buzzing/clicking noise. The flasher unit canister seems to get warmer too.

1. Stock bulbs in all four directionals.

2. The back reflectors have been modified to accept a 10w bulb, which is spliced into the rear lights. I've unplugged those and tested without them in the path, and it makes no difference. Still have the problem, with or without them in path.

3. I've checked the grounds at each light.

4. The front left directional unit is new. I've opened it up and tested it, it works fine.

5. I've tested two Flasher Relays and feel they're ok. I tried the upgraded repro model Moss sells and I currently have the points version, and have cleaned the points.

6. I have a new mechanical Flasher unit. I've tried the EL 13 electronic flasher unit and it does not make a difference.

7. I've checked all the bullet connections inline per the wiring diagram to make sure they have a tight fit.

8. I sent the trafficator out to get rebuilt. It has new parts in it and works perfectly.

9. I made sure non of the wires in the trafficator head are touching each other.

10. Break lights works in all conditions.

11. When the left front parking light is on, it will stop working also when the left front directional stop working.

12. Once I start driving, 5 seconds, the left front directional works fine.

Could I have a short somewhere in one of the wires going down the trafficator tube? I would think if so, it would have blown a fuse?
I'm not blowing any fuses.

I can leave the right directional on all day. The left directional will start having problems after about 2-3 minutes and it affects only the front left turn signal. It will stop working, but the left rear (directional and the modified reflector bulb) will continue to work.

My guess is something is heating up, overloading somewhere. The Flasher unit gets warm and starts to make a sound different from the normal clicking. I've tried a couple more mechanical units and the electronic unit, but it makes no difference, they all start acting up after a couple minutes. Seems something in line is causing a problem and the end user is the Flasher unit? Or maybe the Flasher Relay?

It would be nice to find a KISS trouble shoot.
I look forward to your suggestions.

Cheers,
Roger
I had similar problems with my Phase-2 BJ8. The turn signals would work for a few blinks including the indicators on the dash and then the outside lite would flash "oddly" and both dash indicators would flash together but did so dimly. I cheked all of the ground wires and retightend/cleaned them and the problem went away. Sounds like you need to concentrate on the grounds close to the light that is giving you the problem. I also bought a bullet insertion tool to make sure the bullets are in tight.

terp83

Roger-

Does your green arrow left turn signal direction indicator do the same thing that the left front turn signal is doing? My BT7 has a single green light for an indicator that flashes when either turn single is in operation. My indicator would flash two or three times, then go off. The problem turned out that hot wires were reversed on both stop/turn/tail lamps. Not sure if this helps, but it is a simple check. Turn on headlamps, and check the rear of the car. If the left side is noticeably brighter, then reversed hot wires could be your problem.

Jerry

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Roger,
Going off Ray's diagram try switching the wires on terminals 2 & 6. If the trouble light moves to the other side of the car, its probably the relay.

rjc157

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
i had the same problem when i bought a heavy duty relay and it diddn't work then got a new one from moss with the hook on the end to ground it to the car and all is well

Ed_K

Jedi Knight
Hi Roger,
I think you said you are using the old style relay on the front left fender inside the engine bay.
That is the most likely part to cause the symptom of one bulb not flashing.... but ....
Since you also report that the front marker light is also going out after the trouble starts,
I would take a look at the ground wire from the lucor connector that connects all four ground
wires ( four black wires located closest to circle 12 on the wiring diagram ) to the base of the
light socket. This ground wire being flaky would cause both symptoms. The bullet connector
of this one black wire is not making a good electrical connection to the inside of the lucor connector.
This style connector is the main reason that Lucas was bestowed the title of the " prince of darkness " : > )

Ed

Last edited:

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Roger

I would go for the relay as well, my experience with said item was that the connections needed cleaning up and troubles vanished.

:cheers:

Bob

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Hi guys,

Just wanted to let you know that I appreciate your quick and helpful replies. I've not had a chance to try the recommentations, and hopefully will have this by this weekend. I will post my results, in case someone else runs into this same situation.

Cheers,
Roger

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Hi Roger,
Going off Ray's diagram try switching the wires on terminals 2 & 6. If the trouble light moves to the other side of the car, its probably the relay.

Hi Greg,

I tried your approach first, being it was the easiest.
Here's the end result of switching the 2 & 6 wires.

1. When the trafficator switch is in the left position, the right front directional and left rear directional blink. After about 5 minutes, the right front directional stops working, the left rear continues working and both dash indicators now blink at the same time.

2. When the trafficator switch is in the right position, the left front directional and right rear directional blink. No problems at all.

I think the relay is ok....?

Moving the left directional wires from #2 to the right #6 side, the blinking problem moves with it to the right. If it were the relay, wouldn't the problem stay on the #2 left side?

Roger

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Moving the left directional wires from #2 to the right #6 side, the blinking problem moves with it to the right. If it were the relay, wouldn't the problem stay on the #2 left side?
OK, I've re-read some stuff and I think I understand.

No, if the relay was good and the problem was in the left front turn signal (or the wires leading to it), switching the #2 with the #6 wires would result in the left signal still acting funny. With the erratic blinking moving to the right side, that shows you the wiring on the left side is good when it is given another source of power.

P.S. Do you still have that modern relay with the circuit board from https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?18157-Flasher-relay this thread?

Last edited:
OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
I wanted to report what the problem was and thank everyone who joined in. THANK YOU!
I replaced the flasher unit with the reproduction one from Moss. It seems to have fixed the problem.
Cheers,
Roger

andrea

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hi Roger
Happy to hear that you solve your problem,
I also have solved mine last week, my problem are that the dash lamp stay ON also when trafficator was OFF(also the Buzzer added, continue to sing!!) , I must remove the LED lamp that I have replaced, and return at the oldest dash 12v lamp, NOW all work OK, included the buzzer.
In this occasion I find one strange occurrence the LUCAS flasher metallic small barell seam to be in short when trafficator is in ON position (I have NEGATIVE ground), after 2x35A fuse burned, I learn my lesson, and now flasher are insulated by ground- but my consideration, is that this is a very strange occurrence
Cheers