• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ8 Brake Servo Replacement Installation?

stever

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Well, guys, I need your help again. I have started installing the new brake servo unit that I recently purchased - a PowerTune brand made in the UK that the unit and brakets look exactly like the Lockheed unit pictured in the Moss catalogue. According to the sales company, this unit comes with a bracket kit that makes it a simple install using the original mounting points for the old girling unit. I cannot figure out how the provided bracket could be used to mount this thing up without some major bending and drilling of new holes in the provided bracket. Have any of you installed one of the Lockheed or PowerTune units? I have been running without a brake servo since the mid-seventies but decided to reinstall one as one of this winter's projects. I still have the original mounting brackets on the car, if that is useful at all. Thank you all for your assistance over the years and wishing you a great, Happy New Year!

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Steve,
I had a similar problem with my PBR unit. Well, the brackets fit the booster to the footwell, but the booster wasn’t level. I wound up making some brackets instead of trying to get the supplied ones to work. Just one road you can take.

Attachments

• 9180.jpg
    9180.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 1,929
OP
S

stever

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks, Greg. Those are nice looking brackets! So far, I figure I could bend the supplied bracket to make the "angle" better and drill a few holes so they mount on the existing bolts, but I didn't think that was necessary. The drawing of the bracket in the Moss catalogue is the same as what was supplied. I am wondering if I just am not seeing straight and sometimes I have difficulty visualizing how things should look when assembled - I have trouble with picture puzzles, for example.

Coastalman

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Stever,
I bought the PBR unit and yes, it bolted up to the original bracket fitting, but No, it did not match up with existing brake lines. I had to take it to a good shop to have the lines custom fitted to the new servo. It works like a champ now, but was not a simple replacement for the original unit.
Charlie

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Steve,
Since I don’t have the Powertune booster, this may or may not help. I found the brackets for the PBR would install on the booster two different ways on the bench. One way had the toe board mounting tabs facing in towards each other. The other way, the tabs faced out. When they faced in, they fit the original studs on the toe board better. Hopefully someone here has gone through your dilemma with the same booster.

OP
S

stever

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi, Guys, Thanks for the inputs. I have a couple of questions, though. Coastalman: You said that it mounted up to the original bracket fitting but I am confused. Do you mean the original brackets that held the Girling unit, or the stud bolts that held the girling bracket on the footboard? GregW: What is the toe board? Is this the Healey's footboard where the studs are located? I think that is what you mean. Thanks!

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Steve,
We're talking about the same piece. The piece of sheet metal that the booster mounts to. Moss calls it a toe board, but I think foot board is also correct. I guess it depends on how long your legs are. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

OP
S

stever

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Well, the bracket that came with the unit is not going to work so I will have to fabricate one. I have another questions, though: I will have to fabricate two brake lines - are the fittings "standard" thread and size or are they something else?