• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Best maintenance manual???

V

vagt6

Guys, which maintenance manual is best for a Midget? Not necessarily a restoration guide, but a manual showing how to perform regular maintenance and repairs on the car.

Haynes??

<span style="font-weight: bold">ALSO</span>, the Midget I'm buying has the Datsun 5 speed gearbox: how do we find spec/manuals for it? What kind of gearbox oil; capacity, how to tear down and maintain???

Thanks!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I've got the Haynes manual and a reprint of the original factory manual. Both are handy, as they have different pictures/descriptions that can give a good overview. Not that expensive, so get them both.

Oh, and welcome to Spridgetdom!

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
Factory manual reprints are very nice and detailed. Haynes are handy too. Vizard's A series book is a nice "wishing" book and very informative.
Interestingly Haynes first manual ever was for a MK1 Sprite.
I saw him talkng about this on a TV show a while back.

Country flag
Check out rivergate5speed.com for info and manuals on the fivespeed

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
I have the haynes and bentley. The haynes is good for some jobs were special tools are not required or the bentley manual says you need BMC tool number, etc. But the bentley is essential for specific thing like setting up differential gears and things like that.

bgbassplyr

Darth Vader
Congrats on the new Midget. I'm sure you'll both be very happy.

bugimike

Yoda
I have the Haynes which I use mostley, but I also have the first book I ever bought which is an old Chiltons (1970 copyright!!) which has some helpful stuff in it too!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Between Haynes and an orginal shop manual you will have all you need.

tao724

Jedi Trainee
I have a Datson 210 5 speed tranny also........(not in the car yet), from what I read and hear,with normal driving it will be about 120,000 to 200,00 miles before it needs a freshening up.

I've got Haynes and Bently manuals PO gave me, probably covers everything needed. Too much stuff there for me, so much 'trouble' I can get myself into with these manuals.
I bought "Step by Step MG Midget & Austin Healy Sprite Service Guide" by Lindsay Porter on Ebay UK for an inexpensive price. Its detailed with the usual recommended things to do, but also maintenance items only the truly obsessed would be concerned with...inspecting and cleaning electrical connections, throttle pedal spring oiling, rear spring shackel checks for dirt, etc. And it gives good intervals to do these things, and check boxes after completing tasks. Not necessary, but fun to have around for the 'likes of me'!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
"only the truly obsessed " Hay,I resemble that remark.

livinginthepast

Jedi Trainee
Around 1995, I used a bentley manual to completely rebuild a 1500 engine from the ground up. At the time, outside of changing points and plugs and replacing brake shoes, I had very little experience with things mechanical. Something to be said for Bentley. (I did get a lot of advice from one of the popular distribution lists, too - SOL? Team.net I think - can't remember) Unfortunately, the manual went with the car when I sold it (I cleared out EVERYTHING during a nasty divorce in '99).

I have a haynes manual now and so far it has served me well.

HAN8L1965

Jedi Warrior
Have you ever looked at the owners manual for your car? It has an unbelievable amount of information in it covering all the points and then some.

mark

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
And here's another source of info.

~Click Here~

Not a complete source, but still has some useful info on Spridgets (plus some other cars).

OP
V

vagt6

Excellent info, guys. Thanks so much. :thumbsup:

I want to go over the suspension and brakes carefully this weekend, this will help.

Ohiobugeye

Country flag
Like most members I have the Haynes and the Original manuals. The thing that I like about Haynes are the "Tricks of the Trade" ways they show you to do jobs normally requiring special tools.I agree, buy both. Don't hesitate to use this forum when you have a question either. I feel we have perhaps the BEST knowledge regarding Little British Cars right here on this forum.The amount of help you will get is fantastic!

I just look into my head for the answers, no wait a minute there just a bunch of junk in there, oh, ok, then a Bentley :smile:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
regularman said:
I have the haynes and bentley. The haynes is good for some jobs were special tools are not required or the bentley manual says you need BMC tool number, etc. But the bentley is essential for specific thing like setting up differential gears and things like that.

:iagree: I have used both extensively - I tend to start with bentley but, depending on the job the clarity of the explanation varies from book to book. - I of course use the most obtuse explanation