• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

automatic trans question

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
OK, this is sort of a shot in the dark...maybe some of you can offer advice.

We have a 2002 Mazda Protege. Automatic trans and 2.0 engines. Very nice car we bought new. Has about 75,000 miles on it. Always gently driven. We were *planning* on trading it in this Spring (probably on a Mazda 6, Ford Fusion or Nissan Altima).

Yesterday, when it was put in "Drive" it would not upshift. Just stayed in first. If I backed off the thottle gently at about 20 MPH, I could "nurse" it into second gear, but it would drop right back to first if I pushed the gas pedal down even a tiny bit.

Trans fluid is clean and full. It "grabs" nice in first (no slipping). Even when it gets it into second, it feels like it "grabs" well (so I'm guessing clutchs/bands are OK). No trans leaks

This sort of thing happened to my old Chevy truck and it was the vacuum shift modulator, but this 4-speed Mazda trans doesn't have one of those.

Ideas?

<span style="font-size: 8pt">Since we live very near a Mazda dealer, I drove it there (slowly) and they looked at it. Mechanic says "It needs a whole new trans....$3500." Since this car has a book value of about $4500, that won't happen. </span>

AweMan

Jedi Knight
Aeronca65t:
From what I have read these cars Masda/Ford have ironic chronic trans problems. {I know thats not what you want to hear} One thing you can do is get the vehicle up in the air and check all of the Electrical connections on the transmission and Be sure the check the other ends {what they are pluged into besides the trans} Snow and ice can build up underneath and cause these connections to either become loose or corroded or both. Secondly look for any vacume lines, if any check to see that they are intact and sealing. As a last resort you may want to change the fluid and filter. Other than that, I can`t help much.

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
Re: automatic trans question... Answers sorta

I keep telling people MAKE FRIENDS WITH A DECENT SHOP!!!!Even if you do most work yourself.Take a box of donuts in once in a while, or something similar. When you have a real problem that relationship will come in handy. Even if the news is bad you will have the comfort of knowing you can trust the person telling you what is wrong. OK Rant done.
Now, both of these cars are OBD2 cars, and that means that with the PROPER SCANNER ( not some POS "code reader") they can be accuratly diagnosed by a real technician. You will probably have to pay for an hour or two of diagnostic time. Most shops will roll it into the repair if you get it done there, but not all, and it might depend on how deep they have to go to find the problem.I am more familiar with GM cars, so I will base what I have to say on them, but the Mazda is similar. With a good scanner, you can read the "data stream" that the various ECUs are getting. This is more or less real time data from various sensors, and ECU outputs. This info, along with the relevant codes(again, code readers give *some* codes, but not ALL codes) a real technician can interpret the data, and point to a real repair.Sometimes it is best to hook up a lab scope and watch the wave forms of the part that is suspect.All of this takes expensive tools, and extensive experience. Not to be found at the average corner shop or gas station. Sometimes not found at the dealer either!! I find it unlikely that the GM van needs a trans. It is a powertrain management problem, but it might take some finding. The Mazda too. It is unlikely that the trans just up and failed with no notice and no symptoms. It IS possible that something broke inside, but more likely that a shift solonoid is stuck or something like that.Either way, a proper diagnosis should be able to eliminate all other variables, and they should be able to prove to you that a trans ( or whatever) really needs replacing. Modern cars are nothing like what has gone before . they are incredibly complicated, and have way more computing power than the apollo space missions had, all contained in your dashboard.It takes skilled people to fix them, and if you drive them, you need to find the people that CAN fix them. I would spend some time on the phone calling around until you find a decent shop You are going to have to pay, but paying a little (comparitively) up front should save big bucks later. I know how frustrating this can be, but it is the reality with modern cars. That is why I keep and drive old cars.They don't make me so nuts!!

OP
aeronca65t

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin

Thanks to both of you.

One of my brothers has a trans shop he likes and I may trailer it down to South Jersey to that place (handy having a race car trailer).

It's been lousy weather here, so I haven't been able to get under the Mazda to check out any loose connections, etc. I'll do that soon. For now, we have three cars between two of us, so we can survive.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag

Nial. If you can, try to check the output of the Park/nutral switch. That's the one that is on the shift shaft, and tells the computer what gear you have it in. Our 98 windstar dropped itsself into first gear one time after a heavy rain. Testing showed that switch telling the ECU that we had selected low 1st (no matter which range it was really in). New (salvage yard)switch solved it. I popped the old switch open later and found that the gasket had failed and there was about a tablespoon of water inside.

OP
aeronca65t

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin

OK, just an update on the '02 Protege.

Based on more analysis from me ande others who looked at the car, it has serious internal trans problems. Along with the shifting problems, it's slipping in high gear when warm. Trans oil and filter are decent.
All in all, it's just bad luck on our part. The car's always been driven gently and has been well-maintained. There's no real evidence of this being a common trait in these cars.

So.....we looked at and drove about 15 new cars in the last 36 hours.
None of these cars hold any real interest to me...they are all just appliances. And in terms of a modern appliance-car, there really aren't any bad choices in my view....they all seem the same.
So she just drives all of the cars in her range and picks one out based on non-scientific, seat-of-the-pants analysis. Works for me.
We'd both thought the Mazda 6 or it's twin, the Ford Fusion would have been the top choice, but we were indifferent to both of them (and they seemed really different from each other).
We drove a Corolla, a Sentra, a Mazda 3 & 6, Fusion, Saturn, Camry and a bunch more. It's been raining hard here, so every car we test drove was done in a downpour.
We were both surprised how much we liked the Nissan Altima with it CVT trans. We figured we'd get the Altima, but we decided to try the Honda Civic afterwards, just to be sure.

She loved the Civic, but then sat in the Accord in the showroom, so we decide to take that out for a spin.

I just drove the Protege to the Honda dealer gently, in second gear (they gave us a reasonable trade).

And we now own a white, 2008 Honda Accord.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag

aeronca65t said:
. It's been raining hard here, so every car we test drove was done in a downpour.
Makes ya wish they still put rain gutters on cars don't it? Those channels in the roof help, but they don't stop the rain, snow and slush from dripping all over ya when ya open the door.

Only time I'll go test drive a convertible is in the rain. Or the day after. Lets you really know the top condition.
The day after, any glass windows will be fogged up even if the floors seats appear dry (if the top is leaking).

AweMan

Jedi Knight

If 11 years later Honda is still building cars the same as back when I bought my Accord {1997} you won`t be sorry! Near {real near} 300,000 miles and still running reliably! Yep parts are a little pricy, but given how many I have had to replace in the 300,000 miles i`m not complaning. Although working in tight places {if you do your own parts replacement} is deffinately in your future.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag

Dosen't matter how many times I see that, it's still neat.
I like the wipers "walking" across the floor.