• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

An embarassing milestone

Morris

Yoda
For the first time since I purchased my car almost 3 years ago... it has an official state inspection sticker.

heh heh... oops.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Woohoo!

No shame there, Morris. I've had a sticker on my Bugeye pretty much since I bought it, but have barely been able to drive it. 3 years is pretty good, really. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Branson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
oklahoma did away with the vehicle inspections a couple of years ago. not really sure why but i do seem to see alot more cars with no brake lights

OP
Morris

Morris

Yoda
Our inspection is both a safety and pollution inspection. Although my car being a 79 is exempt from the tail pipe sniff test and the "original equipment" check. Apparently the inspector merely needs to open the hood and make sure the engine is not on fire. At least that's what it looked like he did to me.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ha, it was because it was so old he had no clue as to what to look at or check.

racingenglishcars

Darth Vader
Country flag
My 1970 Amazon had to go through smog inspection and passed fortunately. The safety inspecion here is so thorough that NO holes are allowed between the outside and the inside of the car. The Amazon failed once due to a rust hole about the diameter of a pencil in the spare tire well. Safety inspection includes brake difference on; front wheels, back wheels and handbrake. Maximum 20% difference is allowed. ANY rust in any brake line or fuel line will fail. ANY small age crack in a brake flexible hose will fail. ANY rust on a brake rotor will fail (also up at the outer edge). Also my 1957 Triumph motorcycle failed once for no rear reflector. And then they drive the vehicle for about a km just to be sure. An inspection costs around $70.

Think that's bad, try Japan!

OP
Morris

Morris

Yoda
While that is totally invasive and annoying and I would hate it if that did that here, I really admire that policy.

bugimike

Yoda
Rust on the edge of a rotor seems a bit much though!!! And to fail for something I have intentionally done (punch a hole through a low spot in the floor for drainage) also seems over the top!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

"It's SELF-BAILING, SIR!!!"

rulle7

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Japan is bad, but not as bad as the Scandinavian countries it seems to me.
Sweden seems to be on par with Denmark, but here in Japan they check all basic functions as well as the pollution test.
I have to lean my carbs to the point of total UNdriveability
to pass their draconian limits.
Rust does not seem to be an issue as long as it's not structural or a danger to pedestrians.
Japanese people tend not to take their own cars to be tested though, instead letting a mechanic prepare the car for the test and also taking it there.
A fantastic opportunity for profit for the mechanics to the tune of $1000+ for an average 'chaken' (safety check) ...
the check itself actually only costs about $30.- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

racingenglishcars

Darth Vader
Country flag
bugimike said:
Rust on the edge of a rotor seems a bit much though!!! And to fail for something I have intentionally done (punch a hole through a low spot in the floor for drainage) also seems over the top!
Don't worry (actually I shouldn't worry). They only fail for unintentional holes as long as I can convince them that the other holes are intentional, mostly. They also fail if the 2 inch diameter drain hole is removed from the spare tire well.

If they catch you driving with "defective equipment" like a brake light, they will probably be nice and tell you to fix it. But if they want to be a PItA, minimum fine is 540 kr. That's about $107.

Country flag
Did you see the top gear episode in Africa where they used a rifle to make drain holes after the cars got water in them? I'm assuming they checked for brake and fuel lines before shooting.

texas_bugeye

Jedi Knight
Here in Texas we have our reg and saftey stickers on the windsheild heck for saftey the saftey needs to be removed. on the bugeye they stackup to almost half the windsheild height!