• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Alternator that looks like a generator

D

Deleted member 3577

Way cool...........I didn't know they made anything like that.

That black one looks really close to the OE Lucas. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I don't need 75 amps but, I'm sure someone else would be interested.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yep Dar 100, and you can get one for the Healey from Moss Europe they sell for a mere $600.00.--Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

beaulieu

Jedi Warrior
I talked to these guys at the SEMA show ,

nice guys , their main focus is on street rods, I was looking for something with a smaller diameter but they did not have anything,

If anyone knows of other supliers I would be interestrd

thanks Beaulieu

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
HI Lin, I looked into these for "Dart" at that time the additional models were not available and I vaguely recall the price for the 82011 unit was just under $350.00. That UK thing only puts out 40 Amps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif The ford unit in the attachment may fit the Healey---Keoke

Attachments

• 199149-FordPwrGENswingMt.jpg
    199149-FordPwrGENswingMt.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 72

bighly

Jedi Knight
Try getting a replacement for one of these when your out in the middle of nowhere. I have considered going with a conversion but would only choose a very common alternator I could pick up at any "open on Sunday" type parts store. My thinking is that if I customize I at least want to know that I can get a spare very easily. Nothing worse than chasing down a one-off on a Sunday. FWIW

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Definitely a good thought and good advice, but I am still interested in knowing about mounting bracket fit, pulley and shaft size info.
Lin
1960 BT7 in restoration
1959 Bugeye

Ed_K

Jedi Knight
I agree with bighly. Once you make the decision not to stay original, you should consider the cost and availabilty of the new alternator and future replacement when it eventually wears out. The only person that will notice that you have a GM alternator instead of something that looks like a generator is you, after it is installed !
If it helps your perspective, you could always spray paint the GM alternator the same color as your original lucas generator. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Skip & Lynne

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thats exactly why I went with a small off the shelf alternator, I can always find one when I need it. Skip /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif

OP
Dave Richards

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Good comments and good advice, Thanks. From what I can tell the units cost about $350. From what I've read, a single wire alternator is best, any recommendations for a make and model?

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Dar,
I would (did) get an alternator that works with one of the kits sold by various Healey venders. I bought my kit from Hendrix Wire Wheels, but got the alternator they recommended locally.

OP
Dave Richards

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks, I've seen their kit, and others, are they good to work with. I've considered sending my brake drums to them to have them balanced.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
I found Allen Hendrix to be very professional while still being friendly and just plain fun to talk to. Oh, and the alternator kit fit without alterations.

Skip & Lynne

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I used a small internally regulated 60 amp alternator for an Isuzu Trooper. I got the alternator and plug from the local junk yard for 50 bucks; glass beaded and painted the housing. Made my own mounts in my shop and it works like a million bucks. I can send pics if you like. Skip

Skip & Lynne

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thats who I got my wire wheels from and they are first class folks. Not surprisingly they are from the South. If I went with a kit thats who I would go with. Mint Jeulip anyone it`s spring time in de south. Skip /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif

John Loftus

Darth Vader
[ QUOTE ]
the alternator kit fit without alterations.

[/ QUOTE ]

What Greg!?! You didn't modify it at all??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cheers,
John

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
happy0195.gif
Hard to believe, isn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe it!---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif