• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Alternate Sprite Interior Colors

norcalnewb

My 62 Sprite interior has seen better days. I will eventually be replacing all the vinyl, carpet, and seat colors. I am not sure that I want to do either the black, red, or blue that I seem to be finding, though. Is there a source available to provide something other than these color choices? I am doing this car for enjoyment, so I don't necessarily care about being authentic with the color choices.

rulle7

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Not sure about readily available colors, but why not do it yourself?
After taking care of some surface rust on the floors in my Midget 1500, I thought that with floors all nice and happy, it was time to tackle the carpets and vinyl panels, all of which had seen better days, especially the carpets.
I resurfaced all the vinyl panels with a kind of hard, thin felt that I found in the 100 yen ($1) store! Much better looking than the vinyl and easily cleanable. Cheap to boot.
The carpets I made myself as well.
Took the pieces for around the gear shifter down to the local shoe-repair shop for stitching.
Perfect fit, much better than original.
Making it yourself gets you the color you want (black/dark grey in my case) and a fit and finish factory made carpets/panels can never hope to attain, unless they're for a Bentley or some such.
Just take your time, measure twice and cut once and you'll get exactly what you want, plus the satisfaction of having done it yourself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif
Tailor made versus store bought...

OP
norcalnewb

norcalnewb

Carl,

I have considered doing it myself. I guess my concern is on the seats. I am not sure that I am good enough to product a vinyl seat cover that looks nice and is the color I want. When you did your interior, did you try the seats?

rulle7

Jedi Knight
Country flag
No, my seats are in great shape.
I agree, seats are for the pros.
Good luck.

Taz

Jedi Trainee
Go to a local trim shop they can make them in any color and fabric you want. shop around, most cities have a few to chose fromand most can do it cheeper than a catalog price. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

roofinwilly

Hi all, First post in awhile but had to reply - In the middle of redoing interior of bugeye right now.
Ordered new seat covers from the big one in Ca. The blue was way off and the piping was the same medium blue. Excellent quality but the color was tooo far off. So I went to a fabric shop and easily found the correct dark blue but had to visit 4 other places for the light blue. Found a number of upholsterers in yellow pages. They would do the seat covers for what the big one wanted +/- 100.
Bought 1/8" hardboard (special order). Used old panels for templates, glued vinyl with contact cement. Haven't started on carpet yet. I'll talk to the upholster about that.
I'd suggest looking at vinyl first. There is alot to choose from.
Comeon spring.

spritenut

Luke Skywalker
I do all my interiors myself except for the seats.
1/8 masonite or hardboard is available at Lowes or any lumber yard. 1 sheet does 2 Sprites and it only costs about $8.
Quality vinyl from a marine or auto upholstry shop. Watch out for some of that Fabric store vinyl, it's for clothes, not seats and will wear very fast.
Recently I hade the seats in one of my Sprites done in 2 colors. Dark blue with white inserts. They look great!
I used the dark blue for most of the panels but I put white inserts on the door panels with the blue on the outer edges.
Buy a couple yards of automotive carpet. It comes in 100s of colors, again i found a dark blue with black speckles.
$40 did the Sprite.The only piece that need stiching is the tunnel piece, I had mine sewn with a blue edging around the shifter. I have also done it with no sewing needed if you cut a slit down from the shifter to the end of that piece and make a longer rear tunnel piece. Stick a Sprite pin over the seam and you will never know. It has to be a very pliable carpet for that to work.
I just finished my wife's Healey 3000 in black and pink.
Black seats, pink piping, black door panels with pink inserts and a pink door cap. The guys were ribbing me all along but everyone agrees, it looks good.

Frank

OP
norcalnewb

norcalnewb

Thanks for all the good info. The more involved with this car I get, the more things I want to do. I am going to have to look into doing most of the interior myself so I can get the colors I want. Thanks!