• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Alternate Seats [again]

bill_powell

Jedi Trainee
I know this subject has been discussed fairly often, and the concensus seems to be Miata seats for ease/price/availability.

Two questions:

1. What year/s Miata is preferred, if any.

2. Has anyone tried Honda CRX (specifically '86-'91 CRXsi)seats?

(I have run both, and others, in Minis, but you don't have the 19" to 20" width restriction in a Mini.)

Thanks...

G

First hand experience dictates 1992, which are interchangeable among first generation 1990-1997 Miata's. Not sure about newer model Miata's, as a major revision was done in 1999 however the current vehicle still shares the same platform with the 1st generation vehicle and is dimensionally the same.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Having just gone through this install over the weekend let me state the following:
1) My seats came from a '96, they got thinner after 2000. Not sure when airbags were introduced.
2) Nothing fancy needed to mount other than 4 large fender washers plus a backing washer on each foot.
3) Back inside can use the existing hole in the floor for mounting, front inside will need a new hole driilled but can be attached to the reinforcing bar under the floor. It fits nicely
4) I used a piece of 1" Steel Square Bar Stock under the rear two bolts to elevate the rear of the seat and make seat tracks level. I drilled holes at each end and bolted through the 1" Square. Madethe seat level and more comfortable driving position. Allowed seat to go back further and it raising the rear allowed it to recline further.
5) It fit nicely into my rollbar, far better than with stock seats
6)Much more leg room than with stock seats as well as far more comfortable. I'm not big at 5'6 but I still needed seats back as far as they would go normally. Driving position seems much more comfortable, and the seats breathe.
7)I paid $150 for the set at a Salvage Yard, they were asking $200 and I negotiated. Go cloth not pleather.
8) Honda Seats, Google "The Mite" for a look at Honda Seats in Spridget, plus his video doing burnouts is quite enjoyable. I do notthink they look as nice.
9) Parts needed:
6 2" x 5/16" bolts - 6 Point
2 2 1/2" 1/4 28 Bolts
8 large fender washers to fit into seat mounting holes
8 smaller washers go atop fender washers
8 lock washers
6 5/16" nuts
2 1/4 28 nuts to back up captive nuts in the floor.
2 15 1/2" approximately go measure pieces of 1" square bar stock
1 3/8" Drill bit.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
One other thought, consider using a piece of 1" angle iron under the outside underneath car to add a large backing plate between floor and mounting nuts. Again two holes in angle iron make sure seats always stay in the car.

OP
bill_powell

bill_powell

Jedi Trainee
Great info, thanks. I did look over "The Mite" and agree that those Honda seats do not look as good, but I do not think that they are CRXsi seats.

Just as an example, here are a pair of typical '88-'91 currently on eBay:

CRXseats1.jpg

CRXseats2.jpg

Obviously, different color schemes/materials are available. They run a tad under 20" wide. Using a set is just a thought; sometimes I like to push envelopes...

Coastalman

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
One more thought on the Miata seats. All the early, NA, Miata seats have space in the headrest for speakers. Some of the seats came with speakers and some did not. Either way, the holes for the speakers are in the headrest. If you look at the top of the head rest on the Miata seat, you will see what looks like a cloth trim strip going across the headrest. If you peel that back you will see the zipper. The first time I looked at the seat, I did not realize there was a zipper there, but it is. Zip that all the way across the top, pull it forward and there are the holes for the speakers. I put new MAX-5 HR speakers in my seats. Bought them from PBC Automotive in Chantilly, Va. which was recommended on the Miata forum. The speaker were $100 for the four.
Good luck,
Charlie

The_Mite

Freshman Member
Hi-
Those Honda Civic seats in The Mite did not fit after carpet and insulation were added. There was about an inch of clearance before the carpet, insulation and door panels went on the car. Once that was installed, the seats would not fit. This had to do mostly with the plastic along the bottom of the seat cushion that contains and includes the reclining lever and seat frame. Also, the lumbar bolsters interfered with the rear door pillar or door panels (depending upon where the seat was located) I ended up using Racecraft Slimline Lowback seats in black tweed.

Bob
https://the-mite.com

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
One other thought, consider using a piece of 1" angle iron under the outside underneath car to add a large backing plate between floor and mounting nuts. Again two holes in angle iron make sure seats always stay in the car.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I can measure the Miata Seat Track if you want but as I recall the actual seat track site to site is like 15-15 1/2" wide at the base. I like the fact that I can actually bolt to one of the existing structural member underneath the car(Rear inside mounting hole). I know these Miata Seats work well and are far more comfy than the stock seats. On top of that I saved $100+ over the cost of upholstery kit alone form the usual source.

Frankly I was tired of sweating to death in the summer on pleather. That's why I also have a new top with zip out rear window awaiting installation.

Bugsy is not a concours car. He is a mutt who is a well loved daily driver that over the past few years has had more than 10,000 miles put on him. Lots of short trips and errand running since he got back on his feet in 2000. I've added comfort touches and safety items like rollbar and made him more functional. Most importantly He's FUN!!!!

Go for the Maita Seats, you know they will fit. You can find in local salvage yard or even try this link https://www.miata.net/cgi-bin/isc/classifieds.cgi. Usually 1 or 2 sets of seats in there that are available. I'm happy with the choice I made. My '69 tonneau cover designed for those pointy seats, one year only '69 seats, BTW fits perfectly with the Miata Seats. Other tonneau designed for the regular headrests looks pretty good as well.

OP
bill_powell

bill_powell

Jedi Trainee
Okay, I'm sold. Miata seats it is. I have located a set at a breakers not too far away. Again, thanks for all your expertise.

Now I'm off to go get the seats and hardware. Oh...how about seatbelt choices?

Country flag
I know everyone has there own preferences and criteria, but I've never thought the Mazda seats looked good in spridgets esp. MkI and MkII sprites. I've sat in them in a spitfire and I agree that they are much more comfortable.

OP
bill_powell

bill_powell

Jedi Trainee
Trevor Jessie: For looks, I agree. I generally do like to keep things original.

However, this Midget is my daily driver, so I'm putting it together in such a way as to make my life a little easier.

MIO: I'd be happy to post photos when I'm done~

Mio

Country flag
Forgot to mention that I have a brand new set of Recaro Sport leather seats that I had planned on tossing into one of my Saabs (now a track car). I'd put them in the Bugeye but I'm having problems locating a big enough shoehorn.

Mike

recaros.jpg

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Send me your e-mail and I'll send pics. Too big to post here. I haven't figured out the trick to shrinking.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Trevor, Exactly what I needed. Who would of thought!!!!!Added to my favorites. Now perhaps it won't be such a PITA to post to the forum