• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Alternate Seats?

fireinc

Howdy! Newbie starting out w/a just purchased '68 sprite that was mostly restored by prev.owner and who had to sale on account of health. Question: It has no seats, I'm not concerned about period/exacting correctness, want comfort and (neck/headrest) safety. Thinking a modern transplant. Do y'all have any recomendations? A type thats worked well and that I ought to look out for? Mounting tips? Thnx! Edward.

DonPete3

Mazda Miata seats are a common replacement. I'll be installing those in my 66. They match up in terms of width and height. They also have the advantage of speakers mounted in the headrest.

You can find them in a junkyard or on ebay. There's a set up for bid now for about $100.

jcatnite

Jedi Knight
I'm planning on using miata seats in my 76. I've seen a couple spridgets with those seats and they look pretty good. I'm sure there are some modifications that need to be done to bolt the rails in but it's probably worth the effort.
JC

JCooper

Freshman Member
I have been considering aftermarket suspension seats like PRP's Roadster or Racecraft's Slimline for my 79 Midget. I have had very good experience with this type of seat in other vehicles. Has anyone here tried these? If the miata seats are really that nice they might be a better choice as they are less expensive.

Jackie Cooper
79 MG Midget

OP
F

fireinc

Thanks for the replies! Miata seats do look like they would fit the bill. those that have done the conversion: Were you able to use the Miata's seat rails (Mounting/sliders - whatever they are actually called)?. I have NOTHING there, just (fortunately ;-) solid metal.

thanks again!

DonPete3

Wow! Solid metal where the seats should go!

Are you sure it's a Spridget?

Ha-ha,

OP
F

fireinc

[ QUOTE ]
Wow! Solid metal where the seats should go!

Are you sure it's a Spridget?

Ha-ha,

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep! its only been squatting in my(/"wifes" ;-) garage one whole evening and there is already a tea saucer sized puddle of oil!

oh jeeezzz.... what was I thinking....?

OP
F

fireinc

Um... speaking of seats, I'm 5'10" and I was being a 'hanger pilot' this evening (sitting on the bare metal)and noticed that while pawing at the pedals my rear beltline was brushing firmly up against the back/rear axle housing where it rises out of the floor and would like to know which seat would be the thinner of the two in that area, setting me forward the least, a later model Spridget or the Miata ones? others? Thanks again,

Looking forward to all this!

Edward

DonPete3

If it's legroom you're looking for your should consider lowback racing seats. I saw a set in a Sprite at a carshow last year. They aren't comfortable for long trips but they do allow for extra legroom.

I'm 6'2" so I can sympathize.

The stock seats will probably allow for more room then the Miata seats, but they will be pretty hard to find. Keep in touch with me and I'll let you know when I'm selling mine on ebay.

bugimike

Yoda
I have a 59 bug-eye that I installed older corvette seats that are quite thin (in the seat-back area) giving a little extra legroom. they are high-back which meant adapting a later model tonneau cover to accomodate the headrests,and I moounted them (properly shimmed to level them) directly through the floor. This gives a slightly lower seating position than stock which I like.

DonPete3

What year Corvette seats did you use?

bugimike

Yoda
They came from a junk yard anfd were out of an early 70's vette, exact year unknown! If this helps,they have a chrome push-button seat back release in the center of the seat back.

JonathanB

Freshman Member
A previous owner put the Corbeau Classic on the driver's side in my '65 Midget. He couldn't quite get it back to the parcel shelf because it interfered with the Moss roll bar he also put in. The leg room is actually a bit worse than one I drove with stock seats (I'm only 5'10" and it is marginal). Looks like the seat could go back another inch w/o the roll bar, though.

JB

JCooper

Freshman Member
I have a pair of Corbeau GTA lowbacks on the way - should be here by Friday. I'll post some pictures as soon as they are installed.

Jackie

OP
F

fireinc

Jonathan / Jackie,

I'll watch with enterest. Pls let us know how they fit and what-not. Jonathan, how did they interfere with the roll bar? headrest or shoulder area touch? Thanks!

JonathanB

Freshman Member
it didn't have a headrest - the interference was at the top of the seat - the shoulder support hit the main tube where it was going down to the floor. I've attached a truly lousy, low res picture, but it should be good enough to give you an idea.

BTW, he bolted the seat straight to the floor - no rails.

JB

Attachments

• 119376-Midgetseat.JPG
    119376-Midgetseat.JPG
    6.6 KB · Views: 309
OP
F

fireinc

Ah.. the roll bar is bolted to the floor in the rear, outward "seat wells" right? Mine is (manufacturer unk.)only on the parcel shelf. I need to get seats soon, been bringing the brakes up to snuff, but butt gets 'toasty' if I sit on the floor...