• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

VIN number alternate locations - Somewhere by front suspension?????

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I went to look for Bugsy II's VIN plate and discovered it is missing. Was removed by body shop when all of the new metal panels were welded in I'm guessing. Great since I need to have an inspection by BMV or State Highway Patrol to validate VIN before I can register and get a title in OH I need help. I believe IIRC there is an alternate VIM location, usually under paint stamped into the chassis around one of the front suspension attachment points.

Serial # does remain on the motor although without a BMH Certificate not sure if motor is original to car or not. I have located the Body # 25291 which is close to VIN # of 25172 but I do not believe that is recorded on the BMH Certificate.

Anyway , where of the chassis can I find the VIN #?

Is Clarke Spares still stamping VIN Plates? I sent him an e-mail but no response yet.

Thanks for your help.

CLEAH

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Jim, There are a variety of numbers on the car, but only the "VIN" plate in the engine compartment has the car/chassis number. The number in the LH door pillar (an AN5 number) is not the VIN. The number stamped on the bulkhead where the wiring passes through on the right side of the car is not the VIN. The BAE number in the RH door pillar is the body number, and this is recorded on the BMH Certificate. BMH supplies the Car/Chassis number (the one that is missing from your car), the Body Number (BAE), and the Engine number. Typically none of these numbers match, but on my car the Car/Chassis (VIN) number and the BAE number are only one digit off, but it is unusual for them to be that close. Hope this helps.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Jim, There are a variety of numbers on the car, but only the "VIN" plate in the engine compartment has the car/chassis number. The number in the LH door pillar (an AN5 number) is not the VIN. The number stamped on the bulkhead where the wiring passes through on the right side of the car is not the VIN. The BAE number in the RH door pillar is the body number, and this is recorded on the BMH Certificate. BMH supplies the Car/Chassis number (the one that is missing from your car), the Body Number (BAE), and the Engine number. Typically none of these numbers match, but on my car the Car/Chassis (VIN) number and the BAE number are only one digit off, but it is unusual for them to be that close. Hope this helps.

All correct. You can figure that the chassis number is likely within 1000 digits of your engine or BAE number, but that doesn't help you much. Only a BMIHT certificate will confirm the original chassis number. Bugeyes, unlike later models, do not have the chassis number stamped in the sheet metal, but the one place you might find the chassis number recording is in white or yellow crayon on the back of the dash. The only problem is, given the condition you describe, surface rust is likely to have obliterated that by now.

BMIHT info and links on my web site:

https://gerardsgarage.com/Garage/bmihtWS.htm

RobbyL

Freshman Member
254.jpg I found the attached number stamped on the bulkhead of my very early Sprite where the wiring passes through on the right side of the car no other number as all have been removed (including engine dash etc.) But Heritage information do not recognise Sprites below #501 so what happened to the first 500? Can anyone help? Regards Robby

CLEAH

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The first car was number 501. The bulkhead number is not a VIN number. It was some sort of manufacturing control number and was not tracked on build sheets.

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
VIN is also found on the back side of the dash in yellow or white crayon.

Clarke did plate stamping for me a few months ago. VIN, engine and heater plate.

AHS

Country flag
Jim, try looking just behind the right front damper, on the damper plate itself, just ahead of the rear folded lip in that plate. It may be blocked by the brake line. I've seen the VIN stamped there on 61 and 67 models, I don't know what other years might have it. The numbers are large but very shallow, so it will need to be extremely clean to see this.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Will do. Can someone else confirm what was said earlier in this thread that BMH certificates for BE 'a contain body numbers? If so I've got the body #. I know those were not included on Spridgets BMH certificates. Thanks.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Will do. Can someone else confirm what was said earlier in this thread that BMH certificates for BE 'a contain body numbers? If so I've got the body #. I know those were not included on Spridgets BMH certificates. Thanks.

I can confirm this. The BAE/XXXXX number on the right side a-pillar is included in the heritage certificate as the body number. Mine matches.

heritage.jpg

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks Drew, that tag is also missing but I have located the body number on the RH side on the flat plate above the cover plate almost up against the firewall. With a BMH certificate in hand should not be an issue to get registered. VIN Plate may still be hiding in one of my boxes of stuff but time to get the BMH certificate ordered. Thanks all.

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Jim, I'm not sure that the "body number" you have found on the RH side on the flat plate above the cover plate almost up against the firewall is your body number. Anyway, the number on top of the RH footwell (right by the large hole where the wires go from the engine to the passenger compartment) was either stamped at Pressed Steel or Cowley. This number was not tracked by the factory or included on any of the British Heritage documents. Scott

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

I have a personal, hand signed note from Anders Clausager back in the 90's when I was seeking the chassis number for my Bugeye, that only the "BAE" was traceable resource, if the engine number was missing.

The BMIHT certificate lists, in the following order:

Car/Chassis number AN5-L/ XXXXX
Engine number 9-C-U-H/ XXXXX
Body Number BAE/ XXXXX

As you can see by BMIHT terminology, the BAE number is the body number, not the one near the firewall wiring grommet.

The only other number present is the key number.

As I stated earlier, the practice of stamping the chassis number on the shock plate began after Bugeye production. I believe it started with MKII production.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
One more place to look for the chassis number on a bugeye (which is the VIN #) besides the chassis plate on the frame rail under the carbs and in writing in grease pencil on the rear of the dash is in writing in grease pencil on the horizontal surface behind the seats under the hardura. It was there on my car before I had it dipped. (it was also on the back of the dash on my car as well) I've talked to other BE owners who've found it there, too.

CLEAH

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Rick, according to the Terry Horler book on Sprite originality, the number in crayon on the bulkhead behind the seats is the body number, written without the BAE prefix, not the VIN. Are you sure it was the VIN that was written there on your car? I believe the only place the VIN was written in crayon was the dash.

CLEAH

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I went to look for Bugsy II's VIN plate and discovered it is missing. Was removed by body shop when all of the new metal panels were welded in I'm guessing. Great since I need to have an inspection by BMV or State Highway Patrol to validate VIN before I can register and get a title in OH I need help. I believe IIRC there is an alternate VIM location, usually under paint stamped into the chassis around one of the front suspension attachment points.

Serial # does remain on the motor although without a BMH Certificate not sure if motor is original to car or not. I have located the Body # 25291 which is close to VIN # of 25172 but I do not believe that is recorded on the BMH Certificate.

Anyway , where of the chassis can I find the VIN #?

Is Clarke Spares still stamping VIN Plates? I sent him an e-mail but no response yet.

Thanks for your help.
Jim,

In your original post above, you cite the VIN number for your car. If you know it already, why not get the BMH certificate with that? You also indicate you have the BAE prefix body number on the car. Seems the BMH cert and the BAE plate on the car will suffice for the BMV. Or am I missing something?

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Rick, according to the Terry Horler book on Sprite originality, the number in crayon on the bulkhead behind the seats is the body number, written without the BAE prefix, not the VIN. Are you sure it was the VIN that was written there on your car? I believe the only place the VIN was written in crayon was the dash.

I could be mistaken and since the number is no longer there I'll have to yield to Horler. Wonder if anyone has an original marking still intact? Too bad there's no video of the bugeye assembly line video for us to watch how the cars were put together

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I know the VIN as it's on the title from Toronto. Ohio requires and out of state car to have the car inspected and VIN validated by checking Title VIN vs inner plate on the car. Number plate and body plate are both missing. Assuming engine is original, engine still has number plate on it.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Since you have the VIN on the ownership - it is perfectly legal to get a new VIN plate made up. I know we have discussed this before and someone sells the blank plate

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks JP

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I could be mistaken and since the number is no longer there I'll have to yield to Horler. Wonder if anyone has an original marking still intact? Too bad there's no video of the bugeye assembly line video for us to watch how the cars were put together

I recently took these of my friend's Bugeye. You can see the first digit of the chassis number in the upper right hand portion of the last pic. 37070. Other writing R/C (rev counter) W/W (white walls) MPH (MPH speedo) 5L (upside down on radio cutout), on prop tunnel and jumpseat. Also BLACK TRIM on jumpseat. Also appears to be someones initials.

WP_001475.jpgWP_001476 (1).jpgWP_001484.jpgWP_001486.jpg