• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

After market steering wheel options

Country flag
For several years now I've been on the verge of buying a new steering wheel. I have considered Motolita, Tourist Trophy, and Moutney, among others. I just have trouble shelling out the $$$ that some of these vendors want for these wheels. I'd like to get a quality wheel and boss/hub for less than $200. My father (muscle car/ street rod guy) suggested a Lecarra wheel. I think he prefers them because they are made in the USA. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Look at Moss. Three spoke slotted, item #7 on page A06. That is the one that came on the early Bugeyes and Midgets as an option.

See Pic in the "Orginial Sprite and Midget" page 46.

Yep, it is on my list.

OP
Trevor Jessie
Country flag
Nice, but expensive, and I want a 14" wheel. And... since I have a later model midget I'm going with a leather wheel. But it certainly would look nice in a Bugeye.

Should I buy a "British" steering wheel since it is a British car?

BTW, Lecarra has an almost identical wheel, but it wouldn't have the correct brand name engraved on it. (might look out of place)

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ha, expensive.

Car ......
Engine $1000
Parts $3000
Spriping and painting $$

= new car. And maybe worth 10 or 12K if I wanted to sell. Well maybe my estate will sell, no telling what they will be worth then. Might as well do it right. Not concourse but as good or better than new and will be 50 years old in 2008.

lesingepsycho

Jedi Warrior
My car has a MOMO steering wheel with hub and an MG horn button. With MOMO you have tons of options but the hard part can be finding the MG specific stuff. You can see it if you click here.

JACK

OP
Trevor Jessie
Country flag
I didn't think of it that way. I have a bunch of money tied up in my car, but I'm kind of funny about what I like to spend money on. A steering wheel is such a simple bit of equipment that I can not justify spending so much money on one. I think my $200 budget is too high already. I would probably feel differently if the car hadn't been a driver for so many years. I guess I think of the car in a more functional sense. A pretty steering wheel is not going to enhance my driving experience. I just want one that looks appropriate (is not worn out) and will be comfortable and durable. ... and not cost more than I paid for the car ($200).

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
PM me...I have 2 new 14" Trophy wheels that I'll sell for $175 if the buyer gets his hub from me....that actually means the hub will be almost free as I sell them for 20% less than Moss catalog!

(sorry, Basil - couldn't resist)

OP
Trevor Jessie
Country flag
BTW Tony, where are those steering wheels made?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I dunno

OP
Trevor Jessie
Country flag
I did a web search and turned up nothing. Maybe they are a rebranded version of something else?

OP
Trevor Jessie
Country flag
They've been good about emailing me back. I have a 2005 catalog and price list, but it doesn't include the mk2 wheel. Maybe they dropped it? Buying direct from them is only about $10 more than their resellers. If you want your wheel to match your leather interior, you only need to send them the leather and an extra $25. (more for the street rod crowd)

OP
Trevor Jessie
Country flag
OK,
They no longer stock the hub/adapter/boss for my car. They do not make their own adapters. So, I need to buy a moto-lita or compatible 9 bolt boss.

But, they are very nice people. The current owner has only owned the business for a few years. Prior to that the wheels were made in France. But the guys that started the company were from San Diego. At least, I think that is the story. But now it is a 100% US manufacturer business (except for the adapters).

Anyway, I think I'm going to buy a wheel from them. The styles are nice and the price is not outrageous. I'll let you know about the quality later.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
There is a fellow that will have a replaca of the Sprite wheel in the orginial sprite and midget available in a few weeks. He does beautiful work. I will post a pic of his etc etc as soon as it is done.

ChrisS

Jedi Knight
You can get the hub adapter from Little British Car Co. www.LBCarCo.com , I think the hub adapter is ML-B25 for your car. They are imported adapters. Moto-Lia and Lecarra use a 9 on 4" bolt pattern. The hubs are through drilled, so there is a nut on the backside. If anyone has the adapter from Moss for the Trophy wheels maybe they could confirm the bolt pattern, it would be 3-15/32" on center between the furthest holes. Keep your eyes open for used ones if you are not in a hurry, they do come up on Ebay every once in a while. It is the same adapter as an MGB.

OP
Trevor Jessie
Country flag
Thanks for the info.

mbaha

Freshman Member
Trevor-

I am looking at the same setup can you please post a picture of yours along with where you got the hub and cost of the hub and wheel
thanks