• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A "well duh" moment...

sparkydave

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Got my cooling system flushed out Saturday, and thought for sure I had read that the capacity was 11.4 quarts. That seemed like a lot for a little engine, and was really scratching my head when the most I could drain out of it couldn't fill a 2 gallon bucket. The block has been drained, the radiator has drained, and I even blew out what I could from the heater core. Read the owner's manual, and it said 11.4 U.S. pints. Now that would make a lot more sense. Glad I didn't put 5.7 quarts of antifreeze in there and try to top that off with distilled water. Went and reread the Haynes and factory manuals, and they both say 11.4 pints. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif No idea why I thought it said quarts. Maybe this is what they call minding your Ps and Qs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Bugeye58

Yoda
You're in good company, Dave. We've ALL had those moments.
I got a drawing from design the other day that called out an M8x12.5 thread. Now what was HE thinking?
Jeff

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
hehe... Must be th' same fasteners wot hold down a flux capacitor. Ya *drive* 'em home wif a BFH!

Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Went and reread the Haynes and factory manuals, and they both say 11.4 pints. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif No idea why I thought it said quarts. Maybe this is what they call minding your Ps and Qs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, but did they mean good old British Imperial pints with a full 20 fluid ounces in each one; or those short-measure cheatin' Colonial pints with a meagre, measly 16 fluid ounces each? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

In the past, with your 11.4 pints in... you might have noticed that that wasn't enough and had to add more....

OP
sparkydave

sparkydave

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Nope, 11.4 Yankee pints /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif. They actually had a separate number for British pints. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif

msoylemez

Jedi Trainee
thanks for helping me with imperial vs. non-imperial (U.S.) pints...so my bugeye rear should be filled with 2 imperial pints = 40 ounces of diff oil, not 32 ounces?

Mustafa

Bugeye58

Yoda
Mustafa, the differential takes 1.8 US pints, or about 29 fluid ounces. It takes 1.5 Imperial pints, which figures out to 30 Fl.Oz. I always figure just slightly less than a quart. If you put 40 Oz. in it, it will blow past the axle seals onto the brakes.
Jeff

msoylemez

Jedi Trainee
Thanks Jeff. I definitely don't want to blow past the seals and onto the brakes. Sounds bad.

Will stick to 29 ounces...

OP
sparkydave

sparkydave

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Jeff. I definitely don't want to blow past the seals and onto the brakes. Sounds bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, gear oil in the brakes is not cool. Also makes lovely patterns on your wheels too. Don't ask how I know this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

msoylemez

Jedi Trainee
Looks like I put an entire U.S. quart (32 ounces) into the diff. Should I drain and put in 29 or is +3 ounces ok?

What's the opinion out there?