• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I bought a Singer in a weak moment and ...........

PhilW

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Sometimes I think that it's my duty to single-handedly keep this economy going by buying a project that I know i'll put more money in than it'll ever be worth.

Anyway, it's a '52 and actually a car and a half (a truck load of original paint sheet metal came with it). My question is......

Does anyone know of a Singer club site based here in North America. I'm getting tired of weeding through a whole bunch of sewing machine sites. I figured there must be one out there and someone here can set me on the right track.

---Not that this isn't a good site. It's a great site and if I come to my senses will probably list it for sale here! But, in the meantime, I need access to some tech. info. Thanks for any help.

Country flag
So which model did you get? Maybe a photo, too? I'm curious....

OP
P

PhilW

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Thanks for the links. I gave them a quick look and I think they'll really help. The car's a '52 4AD conv. and I might have saved it from becoming a parts car. From what I can see, it was a well cared for original car with no rust, wood rot, or hit damage ........ until someone started to "restore" it who had no idea what he was doing or what he was getting into. So now it has a fresh, but very bad, paint job with all the shiny bits removed (and some lost). Luckily it came with spares, as all British cars do, that are great trading material for stuff I need. It came with 4 extra fenders, running boards, bonnet, and both side covers and a spare engine. And this sheet metal is some of the nicest rust-free steel i've seen on an open fender British car. (I've restored Jags for 30 years now.) I just hope they used the best of all the sheet metal when they started the resto. At least it started right up after a year's storage and idled nicely with no smoke. And the clutch works!

I'll try to post a few messages on my progress.

I'm not to good with the computer, so photos may take a while to post, but i'll give it a try.

My intention was to get a British car out of the ordinary that needed a little work, so if this looks like a money pit, you'll find it here in the classifieds. If I wanted to start a long term project, I have a '61 XKE that will eventually get a large helping of hours, money, and frustration.

Phil.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

Steve_S

Yoda
Re: I bought a Singer in a weak moment and .......

I know a guy with a fleet of Singers in Canada. I can put you in touch with him if you like. He sold me my MG YB a few years ago.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

Steve - I lust over your YB!

GB1

Yoda
Country flag

Great save for a nice car.

Steve_S

Yoda

You should have one Tony. If there was ever a person meant to own a Y-Type it's you!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

I will - someday!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Oh, now that's a nice looking car, the YB.

mikeyr

Well Congratulations !!! WE should all have a Singer OR 3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

what is the last digit of the VIN ? that letter will tell you the year of the car...oh and any others questions, read my Sig /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

Mikey... Did you get a hardtop when you got the Dino?

Those cars have earned my respect. I've been lucky enough to have been responsible for two of them over the years (clients' cars).

mikeyr

Unfortunately, no I did not get the hardtop for it. Too bad too, records show my car came with one from the factory but it lost its top before I got it.

They are quite a awesome little car, quite the opposite of my Singer.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

"LITTLE"?!?! Th' thing is HUGE to my mind! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif (see my sig)

The reason I asked about the hardtop is I recall most shipped to US had them as a "package" and more than a few wound up being "liberated" for the increased profit of selling 'em seperately. Hen's teeth now.

mikeyr

yeah, the tops are hard to find and expensive, I know of one for sale but its beyond my price range, oh well, I live in S. Calif. no hardtop needed besides it blocks that awesome noise the motor makes.

PhilW About that Singer ??? how is it going ?

OP
P

PhilW

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag

Mikey,

The last digit in the VIN is a "V", I think making it a '52. It has twin carbs, too, but I thought they all had two. The Singer company did have a sense of humor, though, with that double rear window in the conv. top. I can imagine ordering one today and the top guy will think you're joking.

Phil.

mikeyr

Yes, that V makes it a 52 which for a twin-carb would be very rare as they did not make any twin-carbs in 52. Not uncommon however as the twin-carb is the car to have, with noticeable power increase over the single carb car. As a result many people swapped heads/manifolds and put the twin-carbs on. The later heads are even interchangeable, there is a plate the goes between the manifold that blocks off the unused carb intake port so that the head can be used both single or twin depending on the manifold. The twin-carb manifold is worth its weight in gold because it makes the car run so much better than the single and as I said, noticeably increases the power.

I would agree about that top, its ugly and hard to get the double window version sewn up these days. I don't even have a top on my 4ADT, I have owned both single carb and twins and most of them did not have a top, since I live in S. Calif. I don't mind.

So is it running ? driveable ? details...we want details about your new Singer.