• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I bought a red one

GBRandy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Well after a very interesting season of Triumph shows I came to a few conclusions.

The first is the TR3 is a great car and I will buy one some day.

The second revolves around British car shows, local clubs, participant choice selections & car condition. :smile:

So changed course this week. I bought a red one, but not a TR3 or even a British car. I am keeping the TR8 as the wife won't let me sell it....but I am off to a second adventure

1998 Ferrari F355 F1 Spider.....
1998_F355_1.jpg

TR4

Jedi Knight
And did you get a good deal? Does that baby have a V12? I'm guessing it's not as simple to work on as TR. I'm sure I won't be able to help out. BTW,I recommend you hang on to your wife too, she sounds like a keeper.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Randy, that's on my to do list some day. I actually have been pricing them.
was originally looking at a 308 but was quickly persuaded to look at the 355

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
WOW, looks great! You might get enough waves in that, as you would a TR3 ...

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I have got to get away from this forum.............droollllllll

OP
GBRandy

GBRandy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
TR4 said:
And did you get a good deal? Does that baby have a V12? I'm guessing it's not as simple to work on as TR. I'm sure I won't be able to help out. BTW,I recommend you hang on to your wife too, she sounds like a keeper.

Did I get a good deal? I think so. It comes with a fresh engine out service, fresh valve guides, new headers & exhaust, new F1 pump, two sets of wheels, new interior....etc etc

Part of the allure is it has a 3.5 liter aluminum block V8. Sound familiar? But instead of 138 HP like my TR8 has, this one comes in stock at 380 hp. The mods on this car have it over 420 hp.

This might be hard to believe, but I think this is engineered slightly better than the British cars we play with :smile:. While physical service may be easier, the parts cost is insane.

I have been married for 22 years. I'll keep the wife....too hard to train another one at this point :smile:

DNK said:
Randy, that's on my to do list some day. I actually have been pricing them.
was originally looking at a 308 but was quickly persuaded to look at the 355

Be careful grasshopper. Check the service requirements on these bad boys. I estimate around $1.00 a mile for service reserves *gulp*

mrv8q said:
WOW, looks great! You might get enough waves in that, as you would a TR3 ...

They will have to wave....given the Fabspeed headers, high flow cats and Fabspeed exhaust, Lord knows I'll never hear them if they yell.

Brosky said:
I have got to get away from this forum.............droollllllll

I think just about any forum can create issues :smile:

More pictures to follow.

John_Mc

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Nice! Is that one of those Italian mid-engined TR8s? It sort of looks like "the shape of things to come"!

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
tdskip said:
$1 per mile is optimistic I think, but man what a nice car and driving experience/

Whoa boy! I'd say. A good friend of mine with a 348 tells me of the horrors of $5000 oil changes!! Ultra expensive cars to maintain.

OP
GBRandy

GBRandy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
John_Mc said:
Nice! Is that one of those Italian mid-engined TR8s? It sort of looks like "the shape of things to come"!

Exactly! That's why I want it. No Lucas electrics though :frown: :smile:

tdskip said:
$1 per mile is optimistic I think, but man what a nice car and driving experience/

Nah. It's about right. I have all the known "fixes" completed. Zero time cam belts, new heads & valve guides. The ugly stuff is over. Little stuff remains. I don't beat on my cars so it'll be fine.

luke44 said:
tdskip said:

Whoa boy! I'd say. A good friend of mine with a 348 tells me of the horrors of $5000 oil changes!! Ultra expensive cars to maintain.

That's funny... no $5000 oil changes I assure you. $5000 engine out service every 4 years? Yup....that's true.

But for an oil change?.... It takes Mobil 1 just like the rest of my cars. And last I checked, the wrenches I have in the garage will work on a Ferrari oil pan bolt just as easily as it will on my TR8.

vivdownunder

Jedi Warrior
My only prancing horse experience is with the V12's, but a mate had a 355 Spider brand new. Nice V8 although it likes a drink.

It will probably whet your appetite for a California.

Be careful where you park it though as some mongrel might key the side, as happened to me.

Viv.

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
What a drastic change from a TR3. Are you near that change of life stuff or what? It's great you found something you like, so go out and enjoy. A drop top Ferrari does offer a bit more creature comforts than a TR3. Very nice looking car.

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Folks,

I`m just driving thru this Morn`n & had to take a peek here.

I have a couple of friends who have a "Poor Mans" Ferrari (308s) & It cost them anywhere from $5K-$7K for a "Complete Tune-Up" at an "Authorized" Ferrari Dealership.

You would`nt go into a "Ferrari" Dealership & ask "Whats the Gas Mileage" on this model; Would You??

The bottom line here is simple! You buy an exotic car like a Ferrari, Maserati, even a Porsche & You can expect to pay "BIG" $$$ for maintenance, parts etc.

Do we have a "Ferrari" section here somewhere?

Best Wishes,

Russ

OP
GBRandy

GBRandy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
vivdownunder said:
Be careful where you park it though as some mongrel might key the side, as happened to me.

Viv.

Well that stinks. I have heard of some issues regarding that, but we'll see what transpires. I intend to be the polite ambassador of the brand in my area.

mallard said:
What a drastic change from a TR3. Are you near that change of life stuff or what? It's great you found something you like, so go out and enjoy. A drop top Ferrari does offer a bit more creature comforts than a TR3. Very nice looking car.

It is drastic change. But the past couple of years Triumph shows had me second guessing buying another TR. So I started looking at other cars like 55-57 Tbirds, early Corvettes, etc. I found this and it came in proper on price.

No change of life thing for me....just always wanted one and once I changed course on having another Triumph the world opened up.

toysrrus said:
Hi Folks,

I`m just driving thru this Morn`n & had to take a peek here.

I have a couple of friends who have a "Poor Mans" Ferrari (308s) & It cost them anywhere from $5K-$7K for a "Complete Tune-Up" at an "Authorized" Ferrari Dealership.

You would`nt go into a "Ferrari" Dealership & ask "Whats the Gas Mileage" on this model; Would You??

The bottom line here is simple! You buy an exotic car like a Ferrari, Maserati, even a Porsche & You can expect to pay "BIG" $$$ for maintenance, parts etc.

Do we have a "Ferrari" section here somewhere?

Best Wishes,

Russ

The "tune-up" requires the engine to come out and new cam timing belts installed. $5k - $7k is the budget number. It needs to be done every 4 - 5 years. Loosing cam belts will cost you the engine.

Other things will wake you up. F1 actuator pump = $10,000. Headers / exhaust = $4000 or more. Most of that is done on this car already...but you spend your money & takes your chances!

Gas mileage was never a consideration during this selection, or the TR8 selection 22 years ago Sorry Al Gore, I just don't car about it for my summer cars :smile:

A Ferrari section? I like it! The people here are far more friendly & fun than most forums I have found.

71MKIV

Jedi Warrior
If I show up on your front doorstep, would you give me a ride around the block? I don't want to drive, my luck would be the large white sedan with the driver that has to reach up to the steering wheel would decide to go to church that day.

dadgummit, I need that jealous smiley again.

shoot, I'd be satisfied to just hear it run.

PS, do Ferrari's come in any other color than "arrest me" red?

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Settle down Steve...
Show'em the BIG WHEELS you have at work :devilgrin:

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I thought I had heard that the 355 was one you didn't have to remove the engine to service it. But I know almost ziltch about Ferraris.

swift6

Yoda
GBRandy said:
John_Mc said:

Exactly! That's why I want it. No Lucas electrics though :frown: :smile:

That's funny... no $5000 oil changes I assure you. $5000 engine out service every 4 years? Yup....that's true.

No Lucas, instead you get Marelli, you may miss Lucas. :wink:

I read that the service recc's on Ferrari's are based on a 5,000 mile annual usage. So it's what, about every 20,000 miles right? That level of performance does come at a price. It's still got to be fun if you can afford it though right.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
You might want to check out Ferrari Chat. I'm a member of that forum because I like vintage Ferraris, and hang out in that section most of the time.

The guys over there are down to earth and very helpful...the same as you see here on BCF.