• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 73 TR6 Alternator

T

TRDejaVu

A friend of mine has a problem with his charging system. As it has one of those dang-fangled alternatee thingy's (compared to my state-of-the-art generator), I need to ask advice.

Disclaimer. I am working from his description as I haven't seen the problem for myself yet. I am also assuming (yeah I know) that it's a stock alternator.

So he says that it charges OK until he puts the lights on and then the lights dim, even at higher revs.
- would that be the regulator?
- is it internal on that year's alternator?
- if yes to both of the above, can it be replaced, or do you have to change out the whole alternator?

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
It could be the regulator, or the stator or the winding. Cheaper to go this route and get higher amperage.

Fiesta Alternator Swap

This is assuming that his battery is in good condition??

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
More likely a bum diode, IMO.

Regulator is inside the alternator; can be replaced separately. But I sure wouldn't change it without having more evidence it is bad.

The Bosch swap is great for simplicity and more power/reliability; but personally I don't like that quick connect on the alternator output. I've seen too many of them burn up. So I'd be tempted to look for something with a bolted connection, like the Delco.

OP
G

TR3driver said:
The Bosch swap is great for simplicity and more power/reliability; but personally I don't like that quick connect on the alternator output. I've seen too many of them burn up. So I'd be tempted to look for something with a bolted connection, like the Delco.

Actually, whether or not you like them, Auto Zone carries a really decently made alternator under their own label that they sell as a new unit. Basically this is the equivalent to the Delco 7127 unit. Quite easy to install. Well, not really easy. You will have to fabricate an alternator bracket, but everyone seems to use the standard chromed aftermarket bracket that seems to be available at all auto stores. Needs to be shaved and shortened a bit, but works great. Too, the mounting needs to be modified by cutting, but not that big a deal. Ok, ok, so it is not a drop-in lite the Bosch unit, but it does put out right about 70 amps and is well made. How do I know this? It brought the one I have to a quality alternator and starter shop and asked them to check it out. They said it was as well made as any they service. Good to know. Oh, it it does have a very hearty bolt-on for the output wire, which I upgraded to a very heavy gauge and covered with the boot from a Chevy alternator for protection and clean install.