• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

3.54 Ring and Pinion

AlanT

Jedi Trainee
I wrote a check to 'Mike Lambert'(or Lampert)late last year for a set of 3:54 gears. He sent the ring and pinion but no invoice. I think he is in North Carolina. He also sells repro steering wheels. There is a discussion of these gears on the forum in mid-december 2005.

alan T

W

WoodRim

Alan: Yes, I received a check from you in December. It was for Doug Raines' gear set, correct ? I only send invoices when requested. Am I missing something else ?

Regards,
Mike Lempert

Skip & Lynne

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hey Mike how are ya doing the 3:54 set I got from you works like a million bucks and Lynne loves the steering wheel. See you at the car show this fall in Charleston. Skip Burney/ Savannah

AlanT

Jedi Trainee
Mike,
I could use an invoice should Uncle Sam ever ask. I should have Doug's engine installed in the next few weeks. I dropped the engine RPM torque curve down to be compatable with the lower axle ratio and am curious to see how it does.

Alan T

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Unfortunately they will not fit. The early spiral bevel ring & pinion used with the four stud is completely different from the Hypoid gear used on the later 5 stud axles. A number of folks who originally had the four stud have converted to the later 5 stud Hypoid axles which will accept the 3.54 ring & pinion.

I believe that BN1's were changed to Hypoid type axles around Nov. 1954 at C#221536.
D

zblu

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hi Dave Russell,
thats what i thought,
the reason I ask is that on the larry varley site is an article on a sid ward special that purports such with a pic showing some alfin drums with 4 stud holes!

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I am thinking of coverting to a 3.54 setup. Is it posible to remove the carrier without pulling the entire rear axle from the car? After reading the ring and pinon installation procedure in the manual, it looks like a job best left to the professionals. Any suggestions on someone in Northern Calif?

Rob Glasgow
Celebrating 43 years with the same BT7.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
[ QUOTE ]
I am thinking of coverting to a 3.54 setup. Is it posible to remove the carrier without pulling the entire rear axle from the car?
Rob Glasgow
Celebrating 43 years with the same BT7.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes - Just slip the axles out a few inches, disconnect drive shaft, & remove center section complete. Good idea to have a pro fit the new gears. I don't know of anyone in your local but I'm sure someone will give a good reference. I really like the 3.54 for cruising.
D

bighly

Jedi Knight
Could you post what Mike says. I think he is between runs of these gear sets.

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Interesting thing, I didn't really notice any change in acceleration in my 100 after the 3.55:1 gears were installed (the factory ratio for their lower-ratio gear set was 3.54:1, but I believe that Mike Lempert's gears came out at 3.55:1), but then it had been a long time since I had driven it, and most of my time driving it was before the Le Mans Kit was installed.

So maybe the extra power provided by the installation of the Le Mans Kit made up for the loss of acceleration ratio, if you follow me. However, as I started to say, the funny thing is, when Steve Pike test drove the car (he did most of the reassembly) with me, one of the first things he remarked (after "Get your hand off there!" as he swatted my hand off the passenger handdhold on the fascia) was the lack of acceleration. Of course, this comment was coming from a guy who drives 100Ss -- yes, plural -- with 132 HP, all the time. Personally I think it accelerates quite well, and certainly as much as I would need in a car that I wouldn't drive real-real hard anyway.

Anyway, I share that comment as it is so unusual in being the only negative thing that I have ever heard anyone say about the 3.54/3.55:1 gear sets. And next time I drive a 100S, I'll have to make a mental note to compare acceleration I guess... like driving a 100S happens very often! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
For road use,
I believe that the only time the 3.545 (3.55) axle ratio is inferior to the 4.11 is on initial launch & first gear acceleration.

At any other time, the equivalent to original ratio & acceleration can be obtained by simply dropping down a gear lower than would have been used with the original 4.11.

For competition,
the 4.11 or even 4.3 ratios may give an advantage on certain courses. It's all about matching engine torque/rpm characteristics to the intended usage. Modified engines which obtain their maximum torque at higher than stock rpm could certainly make better use of the 4.1, 4.3, or even 4.8 ratios. especially on tight/slower tracks.
D

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi Rob, David Knock at BCS in Stocton is probably your best bet to set up the Pumpkin.--Fwiw---Keoke