• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

3.54 ring and pinion gear

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
While I was waiting a very long time for the first Lempert gears, I got a 3.54 center section from an old Austin sedan. Still have the unused Lempert gear set. The Lempert set is very reasonably priced when compared to other sources & all reports about the quality seem to be very good.

With the 3.54 and 28% overdrive, the engine is turning about 3,100 rpm at 80 mph. Shifting to direct brings the rpm up to around 3,800. I have never heard anyone complain of a down side to the conversion. It certainly makes for relaxed cruising, & the low first gear becomes more usable.

If you were looking for drag racing "hole shots", it wouldn't be such a good idea.
D

OP
Dave Richards

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I'm looking for a comfortable cruise. None of my previous British cars were much good off the line, so that's not what my interest is...thanks for the reply.

BlueRidge1

Jedi Warrior
Dar,Our 62 Tri Carb is a 3.54 ratio non over drive. I am pleased with it so far but I have only been on short test drives as I am in the restoration process. I have had some cars with 4.56 and even one 6.00 (race car) That one would make you grit your teeth and hope she held together as you got to the end of the straits. I think you would be pleased with the 3.54. Bob

Skip & Lynne

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have a set of 3.54 gears from Mike and the quality of the gears is excellent. I haven`t set them up yet but I am looking forward to doing it soon. Mike is a great guy to deaql with and I am sure you would enjoy them. Skip

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Not totally sure, but I believe that the following cars with automatic transmission have the 3.54 ratio.

Wolseley 6/90, Riley Pathfinder and 2.6, and the farina Austin A99 and A110, and Wolseley 6/99 and 6/110.
D

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
No they don't. I think the easiest way to change ratios would be to replace the axle with a late BN1 & up 5 stud axle. The old spiral bevel axles are becoming a bit hard to find parts for. As Blue R. said, a few of the later non OD axles had a 3.5 ratio, I believe. You might have to get a late BN1 & up axle plus a 3.5 ring & pinion. Don't think it is going to be cheap any way you go.
D

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Hi DAR,
I think it is two separate problems.
First is fitting a later model 5 stud hypoid type axle. This is mainly a matter of getting & substituting all of the right parts into your car. It should be fairly straight forward. Easiest would be to first compare parts lists for the two cars & find out what details are different. Brackets, bolts, clamps, brake assemblies & drums, & misc. bits. I have not done the swap. Hopefully, someone here who has done it can advise.

Second is fitting a new ring & pinion to the new axle center section. This could be done at home but I would advise you to have a good shop do it. If they are not experienced with the Healey axle, supply a good shop manual to the shop. You might be fortunate enough to find a shop that has Healey experience. Mike Lempert who supplies 3.54 ring & pinion sets might be able to advise of a shop to send the center section to for the work. Others might be able to advise on a good local shop.

There are various shims & spacers which have to be assembled exactly right to get the gear mesh & the clearances correct. As mentioned before, you "might" be lucky enough to find a complete axle assembly with the correct axle ratio, but it is a long shot.

If you don't have one, a copy of the AH 100 Service Manual with the BN2 supplement will be very useful. It is available as a reprint from various sources.
D

Skip & Lynne

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I set up a few when I was a kid in 55 and 57 Chevrolets and always had a little whine either on accellaration or coasting down. The key is to set the pinion bearing preload and shim the pinion gear in or out to get the correct engagement pattern between the gears. It isn`t an easy thing to do right and you need a good torque wrench, dial indicator, magnetic base, some bluing compound and a shim pack. I am going to send mine out to be done. Mike gave me the name of a guy in Florida who knows how to set them up and stands behind his work.

OP
Dave Richards

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I've heard enough, I'm brave enough to tackle most other things, but the image of those gears grinding away at the wrong angle makes me squeamish. There’s a longtime shop in the area, I’ll ask him for recommendations. Skip, if you want to pass the name along of the guy in Florida, I’d appreciate it. Dave