• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB 1979 MGB SITTING FOR 17 YEARS

1979Roadster

Freshman Member
HI ALL, I JUST BOUGHT A 1979 MGB TOURING CAR WITH ABOUT 57000 MILES ON IT. WELL THE BRAKES DONT WORK AND THE CLUTCH SORTA FLATENS OUT AS WELL. THE ENGINE TRIED TO START WITH STARTING FLUID, BUT NO GAS TO THE CARBS. THE GAS TANK WAS TAKEN OUT AND CLEANED.
I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY SUGGESTIONS AS TO WHAT TO DO TO GET IT RUNNING AGAIN. THE BODY IS IN GREAT SHAPE AND THE CHROME IS PERFECT.
SOME OF MY QUESTIONS ARE, SHOULD I REBUILD THE BRAKE MASTER AND WHEEL CYLINDERS? ALSO CLUTCH MASTER AND SLAVE CYLINDERS?
ANY HELP ON OR OFF SITE IS APPRECIATED.

OP
1979Roadster

1979Roadster

Freshman Member
MAN YOU ARE ESKIMO KOOL. THIS IS WHAT I NEEDED. I SEE YOU HAVE DONE THIS AS WELL. I JUST PAID $600 FOR IT, AND TOWED IT HOME. IS THERE A GOOD PLACE ONLINE TO GET PARTS, OR REBUILD KITS THAT I NEED. I AM SORTOF ON A LIMITED BUDGET RIGHT NOW, BUT I WOULD LIKE TO GET IT FIXED. I WOULD HATE TO PART OUT A WHOLE CAR. WHAT IS SOMETHING LIKE THIS WORTH?
I APPRECIATE YOUR LIST OF THINGS TO CHECK ON.
THANKS AGAIN,
aka MICHAEL

OP
1979Roadster

1979Roadster

Freshman Member
HI ALL, ANY RECOMMENDATIONS AS TO WHERE TO BUY PARTS LIKE REBUILD KITS FOR CLUTCH CYLINDERS AND BRAKE CYLINDERS?
THANKS FOR ALL THAT REPLY.

Rick_Stevens

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
Hi. First, there's no need to SHOUT - we hear ya fine! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

As for parts, there's a wealth of places to look. The "big-box" vendors are Moss Motors and Victoria British. Tony Barnhill, the gent who gave you the link about wakening a sleeping B is another good resource. (And yep - he has done this before.) You can also check eBay, as well as the classifieds section of this board for parts.

First thing, though, is to go step-by-step through the checklist in Tony's link. Doing that, you can make a list of needed bits and pieces. It also allows you to learn the car from the inside out.

It sounds as though you're thinking along the right priorities - plus, ya ain't afraid to get yer hands dirty - so it should be pretty straight-forward for you. Don't hesitate to ask questions about "what the heck is this thing" or "why did it do that" or whatever. The folks on here can always be counted on to give good answers.

Welcome aboard!

R.

OP
1979Roadster

1979Roadster

Freshman Member
R. didn't mean to yell, I just type better that way. I can see my mistakes that way. Its pretty nice, no dents or major rust. perfect chrome all over, top, old windows, tonneau cover and top boot both brand new. radio, speakers and keys. nice seats. with cracked dash.
I may wait for a warmer day. 40 degrees in San Francisco is pretty cold for us. Usually 50 to 70 degrees.
thanks for the reply.
1979roadster

Rick_Stevens

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
Trust me, I know about the cold. There's been hard frost down here in Monterey the past few days. I'm going out tomorrow (and Monday, likely) to pull the carbs and head off mine for a little TLC, and I'm doing it in a parking lot - no garage where I'm living right now.

Sounds like you've got a good car. Definitely shop around on parts, and ask if something seems too high. This stuff can be expensive, but doesn't always need to be. Plus, if you can get it from somebody like Tony you may be lucky enough to snag a good OEM part instead of an aftermarket one. You can probably guess that some of the aftermarket stuff has "issues." Not all, but enough to be annoying.

Good luck with it. Cheers!

R.

LLAngus

Jedi Knight
It was 19 up in Ukiah this morning. Welcome to the best forum on the web. Sounds like you have a real find--the guys are right in recommending Tony. He will steer you straight and give great tips and help.

Kimberly

Jedi Trainee
Also try your local chain auto parts store. Check out the prices online before going in. If the online price is less, the store may match it.
Napa
Kragen
Autozone
Etc.

69MGC

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
There's a place down here in Santa Clara called O'Conners that is a British Car parts supplier and repair shop. I also have another Brit car repair shop that I know of in Sunnyvale.

Also, check out Craigslist.org and do a search in the Auto parts catagory for MGB. You should find some parts there as well. I've had good luck getting what I need. And the good folks on this forum are always here to help you.

Good luck with your project.

OP
1979Roadster

1979Roadster

Freshman Member
Well the only thing I am sure of that I need is rebuilding kits for the brakes and clutch cylinders. i know the tank was pulled and it checked out ok. guess i am going to get a newer battery. this thing has been sitting so long. My 60 Porsche Roadster sat for 34 years. and all the rubber was destroyed. brake cylinders, lines. gas lines as well.
Brake fluid kills all the rubber it touches after about 10 years. Seems pretty simple at the moment. There is a lot of cobwebs to remove on this thing as well.
You guys stay up late.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Everyone here is a big help. The Awakening.... is your best bet. I pretty much followed it to a T after a 10 year slumber and my restart went well. Welcome to the BCF, show us some pics, good luck & keep is up to date on your restart.

R6MGS

Yoda
Welcome to the forum, the rebuild kits you need can be had from MOSS MOTORS(or a distributor like Tony). Usually I find brake/clutch rebuilding to be pretty easy and assuming the car ran when it was stored getting it to run again shouldn't be much of a problem. Good Luck!